Arc AAA LE survives dunk in Liquid Nitrogen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't believe it either except it happened today to mine! I was messing around and my arc fell into a small open container of liquid nitrogen! It had stopped bubbling by the time that I got something to get it out with. (I love my arc but I love my fingers more) I thawed it out and put a new battery in it and it works just as good as new!!!!!! can you believe it? It took a good 5 minutes to thaw out and the foam ring dosen't look very good but it works!

How is that for a torture test!!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well......

it's not like it was liquid helium....
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Just "accidently" dropped it eh?
wink.gif

Well don't go "accidently" dropping it into hydro chloric axid
shocked.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup Sabby, Just accidently happened to have a stainless steel bowl full of liquid nitrogen and it just accidently fell in it!
winkie.GIF
icon3.gif
icon15.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No cracks seen to the naked eye.

Does any one have access to a scanning electron microscope or Hi res ultrasound or something to check for microscopic cracks? Mabey I could do it again and photograph the thing bubbling in the liquid nitrogen.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry Marty! I bet all of your lights are glowing now so no thanks!
winkie.GIF

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Bushman,

grin.gif
Did you remember to yell "D'Oh!",
grin.gif
or were you too busy giggling hysterically?
grin.gif

Glad to hear that you used something besides your fingers to pick it up.

Hmmm... I hear a supercooled runtime & beam shot request coming on.
grin.gif

Of course you'll need to do individual tests using both Alkaline and Lithium$.

S'pose you'll also need to time how long it takes to stop bubbling for the data collectors among us as well.

Good job! Please keep us posted on further developments.
icon14.gif
This could help Peter on the Everest conquest, if the "torch" can stand liquid nitrogen, then it could handle anything that Everest could throw at it.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
and i thought my aaa had it rough sitting overnight in a drain pan full of used dexron v and motor oil!it was hot too.couldnt find the aaa after the car work so i was extra carefull when i put the spent oil/atf in jugs for disposal.
sprayed it with simple green and rinsed it off and no harm done!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone did notice Luxeon Star's Spec sheets... 5 watters give 120% of their normal light output at -20 degrees celsius. BUT! Amber/Red-Orange LEDS!!! 1 WATT Amber/Red-Orange LEDS give 180%-200% their normal output if given -20 degress celsius! OMG!!! 100 lumens / watt anyone?
grin.gif
Let's say we put a powerful peltier cooler inside.... a 2 watt model.... heheh.. help, I can't stop imagining the possibilities..... someone any one, help, I am laughing till my sides ache....

sotyakr

Enlightened
Never been dropped in corrosives or pushed inside a shredder or urinated on by circus animals.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Arc LE has fallen into some giraffe poop, and yes it still works just fine!

Tomas

Banned
Heheheheh ... Well, Bushman, your Arc AAA has had a tougher test than mine has, that's for sure.

All mine had to endure was going through a hot wash in a pocket of my pants, and most of a drying cycle - until it came out of the pocket and sounded like I was drying part of my rock collection
shocked.gif

Didn't seem to annoy the little beast in the least, though.

tomsig01.gif

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened
OK all of this stuff about the arc aaa in cold!!
what does it do in boiling water. I am not brave enough to try it myself.

Scott

NightShift

Enlightened
LEDs do well in liquid nitrogen. I don't know about the circuits, but I've dunked an LED in liquid nitrogen while lit and it worked as if it were water.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
intresting... I wonder what would happen if it was turned on, and then fell in. extreme case of LED cooling. has anyone tried driving a LED in LN2 driven with increasing current until failure, or reduced output?

b.

r2

Enlightened
The alkaline battery would probably be the weak point here (or at least one of the weak points). Alkalines have troubles at cold temperatures (room temperature is ideal).

- Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.