LED Laptop displays

Illum

Flashaholic
hopefully that'll cut down on the inverter failure associated issues, but I dont know whether that will help "dead pixels":ohgeez:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Has nothing to do with dead pixels at all.
But it can lead to thinner displays, and better brightness distribution.

EricB

Enlightened
Do they mean OLED displays? Or are they talking about the backlight or something? (But they spoke of it replacing LCD altogether, not changing the backlight of them).

This isn't some new LED technology with really tiny diodes that can act as screen pixels, is it?

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Nope, it's just the backlight. The person that wrote the article clearly has no idea what they're talking about and is regurgitating a scrambled mess of tech specs and speculation.
LED backlights on laptops are nothing new. Sony has been doing it for years. It works quite well.

TMorita

Enlightened
ErickThakrar said:
LED backlights on laptops are nothing new. Sony has been doing it for years. It works quite well.

Nope, this is incorrect. Sony released the first laptop with LED backlighting late last year, and HP and Apple are due to release their first models with LED backlights fairly soon. More info at this link:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9671130-1.html

Toshi

CLHC

Flashaholic
Laptops and LEDs. . .I just saw this evening @ Target, a toaster with blue LED lighting. :huh:

TMorita

Enlightened
CHC said:
Laptops and LEDs. . .I just saw this evening @ Target, a toaster with blue LED lighting. :huh:

Some people have no sense of design - toast is mostly earthtones.

Toshi

Led_Blind

Enlightened
It actualy sounds like they are talking oled......but it is probably just led backlighting where typical marketing language has erased the real meaning.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that Sony's been using LED backlighting for a while. Now if only their laptops weren't so overpriced and terribly unreliable.

EricB

Enlightened
Still, does using LED's instead of those little flourescents really make it "lighter than liquid-crystal displays", as well as "thinner" and "help dead pixels"?

That is what makes it sound like it's talking about OLED. Perhaps the writer thought OLED was the same as LED.

It just dawned on me that this is talking about a laptop, and if this is OLED, that would be quite an advance for the technology, which has been relegated mainly to 1 inch MP4 screens. (The full color OLED has not even really taken off on phones yet!)

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
ErickThakrar said:
Erhm... No. They had LED backlights on laptops back in 2005. TX670 for instance.

You're right. TXN15P also has it.

I stand corrected.

Toshi

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
The screens can be made significantly thinner when using an LED backlight and thus lighter. The dead pixel thing is bullshit.
And Sony laptops are no more unreliable than any other brand, if not less. Keep in mind that with all the companies that had bought Sony cells to make their batteries, and had to recall their batteries, Sony have not had a single incident and only instituted a voluntary recall. I've worked in computer retail for almost 10 years. If anything, HP and Toshiba have more trouble than Sony.
And they're heavier and generally larger than Sony.
That being said, Sony, like just about every other company out there, have terrible software pre-loads that come with so many craplets pre-installed that it's ridiculous.

scottv

Newly Enlightened
the Toshiba Libretto that I'm sending from has an LED backligt
Should outlast the usefullness of the machine.
got it in 2005

I have lost flourescent tubes in LCD displays in the past

I would imagine an LED displays to look somewhat like a lite brite, not the 200dpi of this state of the art LCD.

SemiMan

Banned
LEDs for backlights on LCD displays have several advantages depending on the implementation:

a) White LEDS
- Current efficiency of WHITE LEDS when coupled with the ability to better couple the light into the backlight will yield more efficient displays compared to flourescent at least in laptop size displays. Smaller CCFL tubes do not have the 100lumen/watt efficiency of their bigger cousins.

- Current lifetimes of LCD backlights are already in the 40-50K hour range, however, a very well implemented LED backlight could outlast this. As many LEDs will be used, you can eliminate the single point failure mechanisms.

b) RGB LEDS

- Extremely wide color gamut. When coupled with properly tuned phosphors, using RGB LEDS for a backlight gives you a color gamut well beyond white LED or CCFL backlit displays. Think redder reds, bluer blues, etc. ... better even than CRT. If you have not seen a well set up LCD with RGB backlight, you will be amazed at the difference.

- Perfect color....always and forever. Using feedback, you can continously tune the LED output to ensure every display is exactly the same today, and for the foreseeable future.

- The "holy" grail.... sequential color LCD displays. This is really the be all and end all. As opposed to using a display with a color matrix, you use a monochrome display and turn the LEDS on and off. This increases the amount of light the display passes by 3x or more. It also makes the actual display glass much cheaper as there are 1/3 the active parts since you only need one element per pixel, not three. Suddenly you have displays 3 times as efficient as today. This is just a matter of time as rise/fall times for LCD displays fall. I becomes practical around 2msec.

- Increased contrast ration, elimination of goasting. When you turn off an LCD pixel, it turns most of the way off quickly, the tails off at the end. With RGB LCD backlight, as it turns on/off quickly, you can turn the LED on for only a portion of every frame time, turning it off during that last decay of the LCD hence increasing contrast ratio. Phosphor based LEDS do not turn off fast enough to really make this possible, at least not with current phosphors.

Semiman