Where can I learn about color bins?

frank777

Enlightened
Anybody know where I can go to get a good education on Cree LED color bins? I really don't know the first thing about them, but would be interested in knowing what the best balance is between color and efficiency. Can you get both with a more expensive bin?

frank777

Enlightened
Good charts, but no real explanations of what it all means. I'm still "in the dark".

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you describe what explanations your looking for? Color and efficiency aren't two terms I'm used to hearing together in terms of a single answer. Don't mean to be blunt, just looking for more detail to try and help. :)

-DF

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The charts let you directly compare CREE tints against Luxeon tints, which you should already be familiar with. Otherwise you'd have to look at them in person since everyone sees them quite differently and an unacceptably yellow bin to one person may be perfect for another. For example the whitest Luxeon bin is WO and this is approximately equivalent to the CREE WD. Slightly more bluish is Luxeon XO/CREE WC or slightly more yellowish would be Luxeon VO/CREE WJ.

The flux bin tells you the efficiency (P3, P4, Q2, Q3). Since color is a lot more noticeable than efficiency, generally you'll pick the tint you like best then buy the most efficient flux bin it comes in.

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I guess since I never learned Luxeon tints it pointless to try to learn cree, If I only have one Lux and one Cree light and have no idea what bin they are. I'll just take others advice as to what looks the best