18650 Seoul Kroma??

Aepoc

Enlightened
Hey all,

On my trip to Mac's shop a couple of months ago, I almost had my SF Kroma bored for an 18650. I decided against it because there is a metal ring where the tail cap touches the body. The ring is silver in color (almost looks like aluminum) and the interior of the body looks like brass (could be a coating that gives it this color). I am not exactly sure what this ring is for and I didn't want to damage it if it is part of the ground connection to the tail cap. Has anyone successfully bored their Kroma for an 18650 yet? Does anyone know the purpose of this ring, and if it is essential for the operation of the light?

Also... I hear some people are putting SSC P4's in their Kromas. How labor intensive is this. I have a USVOI just sitting around, waiting for a host. I seouled my PD which wasn't too much work. Don makes his lights pretty modder-friendly. The bezel of my Kroma comes off pretty easily but Other then that, I haven't taken the head apart. Could anyone give me some info or pointers... this is a relatively expensive light for my budget and I am feeling much anxiety about cracking it open and doing the upgrade.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doun't doubt that the ring you are talking about inside the body may be a ground connection. Especially after seeing the washer that Leef sells to mate the U2 18650 body to the Kroma.

If nobody else chimes in on Seoul modding, just send Milky a PM.....I know for a fact he has already modded at least one :)

Aepoc

Enlightened
I wonder how thick it is... maybe the light could still be bored without messing up the ring/washer/ground connection (whatever it is). Or, maybe something for the 18650 size could be manufactured. I need some professional input.

I would go for the 18650 body but I like the Kroma body so much better. I also can't afford to lose the pocket clip... I use the clip every time its in my pocket. When the clip on my E2D broke, I pretty much stopped carrying the light.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
bore it from the front all the way to the ring but dont hit it.