Surefire L1 question

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
I just got an L1.
If I put the head and tail cap on a 2 cell body will it make a L2?
If not what would I have with a 2 cell body on it.

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
I have a L2 but not a L1. From what I understand the tailcap is the same but the L2 has a Luxeon V and the L1 does not. Hope this helps.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like what Gimmy said.

Both have the driver in the body tube and the L2 with a Lux V puts out more voltage and would blow the Lux III L1.

To get an L1 head to run on two cells, you need a buck convertor to drop 4-8V input to ~3.4V output to the LED.

They also have very different beams: L1 new style spot with no spill, L2 wide spot with more flood.

SCblur

Enlightened
Could you use a single li-ion battery in the L2 body to power the L1 head for longer runtime? That wouldn't be too much voltage, right?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
J Smith said:
I just got an L1.
If I put the head and tail cap on a 2 cell body will it make a L2?
If not what would I have with a 2 cell body on it.
I'm assuming that you want to put an L2, 2 cell body with the Head and TC from L1. Well first of all I think the LED will fry as the circuits in the L2 is meant for a LuxV 5 watt. It will work though if you modd the led on the head.

I tried using AW's R123a 3.7v rechargeable in the L1. On low it works fine. On high there is a hum coming from the circuits. According to AW its ok, but I wouldn't risk it and used primaries instead since the L1 has a long runtime due to the 2 stage.