Event Horizon?

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure hope that the lack of activity today is not a sign of things to come. I am quite concerned that the splitting in half of CPF will be the death of it all. Dollars and cents are silly conversations if there is no one showing up to begin with. Not having all of CPF in one place is going to be tough. Half of the CPF content is discussions in the Dealers threads. :mecry:

Empath

Flashaholic
I'd say the "lack of activity", would be due to B/S/T being presently shut down. Even so, I see 527 online. That's not too bad for having a heavily used area temporarily suspended.

When the change is completed, you can add the users on the CPF segment and the users on the CPFMP segment together for the full activity. Users will be moving back and forth between them as if they're one.

Depending on how this thread goes, it too may end up suspended with suggestions to take the topic to the Underground, depending on the spirit and aggressiveness of it.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hesitated posting this thread in the first place for the same reason there are likely few comments. It seems as though peoples tails go between their legs as soon as they have an opinion to share that isn't positive. From my point of view it seems like negative opinions are quickly suppressed. And if there is any momentum to the sentiments then the thread is closed. I can't for the life of me think of a single scenario where you split a living community into to disparate pieces and it ends up being better for it. The interest in both sides of the community causes many good interactions between manufacturer/modders and users. This can do nothing but stifle and fragment those conversations. Personally the addition of fees and memberships is a OK. But why oh why couldn't the site remain in one piece!

PS, I would have posted this in the original announcement but it was closed as Sasha had heard enough. I am not directing any of these feelings at Sasha, I just feel that we should all get our turn to vent, and voice our concerns.

Empath

Flashaholic
Thujone said:
It seems as though peoples tails go between their legs as soon as they have an opinion to share that isn't positive.

That's an interesting picture you have of your fellow members. It's not positive or complimentary toward them, but at least you don't tuck your tail between your legs when it comes to calling them cowards.

Thujone said:
From my point of view it seems like negative opinions are quickly suppressed. And if there is any momentum to the sentiments then the thread is closed.

I wouldn't call it suppressed. High drama, discord, and some topics that increase it are permitted, but in the forums intended. The Underground is intended for that; the Cafe isn't. If it was possible, rather than close such threads, it would be nice if we could just move them; but we can't. The closing doesn't "suppress" the discussion. It just reinforces the need to discuss it in the forum intended.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
.. I feel too inexperienced to have posted my thoughts in the main thread that was started about CPFMP.. .
But i will say something here..
I scan these boards every day, usually going through each section and checking for anything that peaks my interest, or something i can reply to...

I've even tried to build a list of lights that are easily accessed, but it never got off the ground, as many users decided i wanted them to just feed me with information instead of finding it out for myself..

Isn't that what the spirit of CPF is about? Feeding each other with information so that our knowledge base can grow? Our stories to bring inspiration, our complaints to bring change..

I understand that the popularity of B/S/T merits fees to gain economic support for the server and those maintaining it.. But what fee do the users pay when attention isn't all focused in one place?.. I fear new ideas may be malnourished simply because the attention of users will be split.. Like the case of the grown up brother (CPF formal) feeling ignored and jealous at the attention being given to his newly born sister (CPFMP)..

The split simply means we as users will have to devote more time to keep each side of our community growing, with balance and equality.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to start by saying I am not interested in arguing or starting any trouble. I simply want to voice some concerns that I have. So with respect, here goes.

Empath said:
That's an interesting picture you have of your fellow members. It's not positive or complimentary toward them, but at least you don't tuck your tail between your legs when it comes to calling them cowards.

If I meant to call them cowards I would have just said that. I think my feelings that sometimes the mods are a bit heavy handed in response to any negativity are probably shared by others. And that it is simply not worth being belittled and shutdown just to voice an opinion that will likely fall on deaf ears. So to clarify, not calling anyone a coward, simply pointing out a cause for some to not speak up. I am trying to speakup without being disrespectful. I have been both a forum administrator and a mod in the past. And more than once I had to catch myself being a bit heavy handed. So I just wanted to give my impression of things from the user side.

Empath said:
I wouldn't call it suppressed. High drama, discord, and some topics that increase it are permitted, but in the forums intended. The Underground is intended for that; the Cafe isn't. If it was possible, rather than close such threads, it would be nice if we could just move them; but we can't. The closing doesn't "suppress" the discussion. It just reinforces the need to discuss it in the forum intended.

Fair enough. But this reinforces my opinion that multiple forums are not a benefit to anything. Soon there will be 3 separate forums, none of which you are able to move posts between or presumably administer as one in any way. This seems to me like additional work for less reward. For administrators, mods, and users.

Greta

Flashaholic
What I see is many who have already formed an opinion of "how it's going to be"... and yet... none of you really knows... you're assuming... and it would just be nice if you all would wait and see and then judge. I think you're all going to be surprised at "how it's going to be"... that is... if you go into it without any pre-judgement... just a thought...

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha said:
What I see is many who have already formed an opinion of "how it's going to be"... and yet... none of you really knows... you're assuming... and it would just be nice if you all would wait and see and then judge. I think you're all going to be surprised at "how it's going to be"... that is... if you go into it without any pre-judgement... just a thought...

Looking forward to being pleasantly surprised. I really hope my concerns are proved moot. All still going smooth?

Empath

Flashaholic
Enzo, if you've never visited Craig's site at http://www.ledmuseum.org , pay it a visit. It's popular, informative, and a fun site. You'll wander all over it, but that last thing you'll concern yourself with is the fact that it's on a multitude of servers. You don't even notice when you go from one of them to the other, since it's just a matter of clicking a link. Craig consumes enough space that a gift to him of addition hosting space isn't regarded as a nuisance; it's regarded as useful. As for the user, he'll never notice.

Search functions will need to be used on each separately. The who's online feature will be separate. Otherwise though, the moving back and forth will likely just be a matter of clicking a link, just as it is now when you change from one board feature to another.

Thujone said:
Fair enough. But this reinforces my opinion that multiple forums are not a benefit to anything. Soon there will be 3 separate forums, none of which you are able to move posts between or presumably administer as one in any way. This seems to me like additional work for less reward. For administrators, mods, and users.

I agree. There will be some disadvantage. However, keep in mind that the disadvantage involved with the separateness of the Underground is by intent. The Underground is intended to isolate the CPF members that don't want the drama and loose restrictions. It's intentional that you have to deliberately go there. The Marketplace, while it will have challenges to creating a transparent interaction between them, will not have the intent to isolate and will hopefully limit the separateness to where it would be intentional.

spock

Enlightened
just a friendly comment. if you are using an ancronym in a post, it would be very helpful to write it out at least once. what does cpfmp mean? cpf is understood. does mp mean mag parts?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really see the problem. I have CPF and the Market set as adjacent tabs on my Firefox browser and click back and forth. Now I have 2 places to do "new post" searches, and I think the 30 second timer doesn't apply between them...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
If I may comment on this...

I have just spent some time wandering back and forth, and I didn't notice any splitting issues at all. It all seemed reasonably seamless.

I am assuming that we can post links back and forth, so it does not seem any different than having the split up of forums that we now have.

Perhaps I am missing the "deeper conspiracy..."

Tom

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tom

At this point the big difference is that you now have two separate places to click new posts to see everything. Your post count was carried over but posts in one forum does not count towards the other. Also you now have two PM boxes to keep track of.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
If I may comment on this...

I have just spent some time wandering back and forth, and I didn't notice any splitting issues at all. It all seemed reasonably seamless.

I am assuming that we can post links back and forth, so it does not seem any different than having the split up of forums that we now have.

Tom

I did the same but did notice something. It is very easy to get to the Marketplace but I couldn't find any clickable links to navigate back. Am I missing something?