What version of the Arc AAA do I have? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
I just picked up an Arc AAA at a retailer that sells home theater equipment. They were referred to me by Peter at Arc who was kind enough to help me out.

They had maybe 5-6 left and I would guess that they don't have a huge turnover.

I've read that the latest revision of the light is 3.1. How can I tell what version I have? Can someone point me in the right direction for figuring this out?

It doesn't make a big difference, but I am a bit curious.

Thanks in advance and have a good weekend,
Christopher

p.s. This thing _is_ pretty cool. :)

Darell

Flashaholic
There are few clear indications of revisions, as changes are implemented within version runs.

BUT, if it is Chemkoted inside (bit of gold tint) then you have one that is relatively recent.

Darell

Flashaholic
They've gone through so many length/knurling/chamfering changes even within various versions that you'll never be able to determine the version from this alone. And I should also point out that there is no "old and new" version. The AAA has evolved slowly and has been improved on a weekly basis, it seems. There's really no hope in determining an AAA version with much accuracy, I'm afraid. Unless you bought them just recently, and you know you purchased the freshest stock.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it really that hard to spot the revisions?! And we had two appearances in this thread from Darell himself!

If is has a gold tint chemkote interior, french instructions and a roll-crimp around the PCB (printed circuit board), it is the 3.1 version which is the latest version and has been in manufacture for about 6 months.

Peter Gransee

Saaby

Flashaholic
But by far the EASIEST way to tell if it's a 3.1 is to look at the packaging...is there French on it? If so it's 3.1

Does the packaging have a little round indent that the light sits in or was the light in a tent-shaped dome? The packaging with the dome in it is (I assume, Peter will back me up I hope) the latest packaging with space for a clip in there...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby is right. The french instructions is a good indicator. I add the other indicators to make is even more sure.

The new packaging gives us more room for the clip. You'll also notice it is a beefier plastic so it is less likely to dent during transit.

Peter Gransee

Saaby

Flashaholic
You'll also notice it is a beefier plastic so it is less likely to dent during transit.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and is almost impossible to open
wink.gif
, but still not (thank heavens) lazer sealed.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right JohnG. (for those wondering what's up, I posted a comment about the review above where they mention a difference in beam spread. I then removed the comment because it was off topic but then noticed that John had already replied).

Peter

Alien

Newly Enlightened
I got my first Arc AAA a month ago: French instructions, tent shaped packaging. I love it.
Last week I've ordered some more. They came with French instructions, same tent shaped packaging, but the lights are different. It's a bit more goldish inside, the head is taller and the LED seems to be inserted deeper on it, wich gives a beam more narow. If I look directly at the LED, the first light has a wider black anodised edge around it. I like much more this first one.
I've managed to get also one UV and one Turquoise. These have also the smaller head with French instructions and tent shaped packaging .
Does this makes sens? I guess there is also different versions with the French instructions and the same tent package.

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, shoot. If all you want to know is if the light is v3.1 or *ANY OTHER VERSION THAT EVER CAME BEFORE* then it is a walk in the park. I guess I went off looking for the hard task when the easy one was asked for. Such is the way I operate.
smile.gif

Alien

Newly Enlightened
I'm just confused. I like the old? v3.1 more, and I thought I was getting those when I placed my last order. Already 9 Arc's ...

Saaby

Flashaholic
If by old you mean more recessed, it's probably just manufacturing differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.