LS Hardly brighter than Inoxa X5!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok guys, over in THIS thread Rochelle is having a problem,

Guys, I received my LS for Christmas as my first LED flashlight. My first thing to do was to have a little "competition" with my colleague who has an Inova X5 and quite unexpectedly he easily won, although that light is quite blue. Am I doing something wrong? I run the LS on 2 alkaline AAs, can it be that much different with the 123?

Please advise, because I am posting it from the other end of the world. My brother goes back to the US on Tuesday if the conclusion is that it has to be replaced I have to know it by then.

Thanks in advance
r
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Revised:

He didn't post out of place but that thread was so long and so dead that I figured he'd get *much* better response here.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby, I didn't realize you were a moderator as I don't see your name listed under the Arc Flashlight list of moderators. This is not a big deal but I disagree with you closing the thread. This is a quote from Peter Gransee in the opening post of this thread.

"Welcome to the Arc-LS general discussion thread."

In my opinion that was a general discussion comment concerning the Arc LS. In my opinion he didn't post out of place.

Saaby

Flashaholic
geepondy,

Back in that other thread Darell said:

Since there hasn't been a whole lot of Arc LS breakthrough news in a bit, and this thread is just kind of sputtering along, maybe Peter would like to start up a shiny NEW thread that is somewhat less than 37(!) pages. This thing is starting to take quite a while to load, and because of that (though I can't figure out why) it seems that maybe it sucks up a bunch more bandwidth than it should? This thread started back in Feb, and I think it is high time for the New Arc-LS thread. When threads get this long, you just can't find anything in them anymore. Maybe we could have Quarterly threads. Yeah, that's it. "LS Q3 02" Has a nice ring to it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

After that Peter started a new thread that was, well, something to the effect of "LS 02 Q3" and the old one died out.

I can not for the life of me find that thread, BUT there is about a new thread every-other week on the LS.

I am going to leave it closed for now and consult with the power that be (In this case Peter). Maybe it will be opened again.

The reason I started a new thread for Rochelle is that, because that thread is so long, posting there kind of got, well, ignored.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rochelle, ya didn't say if your LS was a 2nd or a 1st.

2nds can and do vary wildly in output color and brightness (that's one reason why they're seconds).

But honestly, the X5 is one heckuva a bright sucker for something that uses only five 5mm LEDs and is more the exception than the rule where it comes to multi-5mm-LED array flashlights in terms of performance. If your LS just slightly dimmer, it would fall into the "its possible" category, otherwise, I'd send it back. Oh, and lets not forget that the X5 runs on 6V lithiums, so there's some SERIOUS overdriving going on there, even if its resistored some.

The Arc LS takes a more conservatively-engineered approach and drives its LED close to spec, so that might explain some things. And I don't see you mentioning the *version* of the LS you got either, which have some bearing on the performance you are seeing.

Short of contacting Arc directly, you could try posting more info on the CPF so that the rest of us can help you suss out your problem
smile.gif

(Saaby: Wouldn't "/usr/local/bin/cpf" be a little more secure
grin.gif
)

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I have neither LS nor X5. But if someone says ARC LS is not MUCH brighter than the X5, it just doesn't make sense. It could be a defective one.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've had the pleasure of having 4 Arc-LS1s pass thru my hands (all were factory seconds):

- one was dimmer than the X5 (this was with me for only 1.5 weeks)

- one was about the same as the X5, but pea-green (this one I gave away last year)

- one is slightly brighter than the X5 (violet tint, I still have this one)

- one is MUCH brighter than the X5 (almost pure-white - of course, I still have this one!)

I can tell ya - they vary a LOT. Its no fault of Arc most-times, its just that a luxeon's output can vary anywhere from 14 lumens to 39 lumens, depending on the bin grade, and color can range from creme-yellow, pea-green, peach, violet-pink, blue-white and almost pure white. And then there's Vf...yada yada - you all know the drill by now
smile.gif

Unless they've seen or owned one, buyers of the newer LSs don't know what some of the older ones were like, particularly the 2nds.

Need proof? Check out this little shootout I did some time ago. Check out the X5 and the Arc-LS on 2AA alkaline beamshots and you'll see what I'm talking about.

StuU

Enlightened
My new LS1rev2 first is brighter than my new Streamlight SL74AA. It's got a nice, centered beam that is nearly pure white. Everything is finished to perfection and I am *very* happy with the product. Obviously, the Luxeon Star led was handpicked for this light.

Just a note to Peter. The beam on the LS1rev2 is just about perfect as far as focus. It is, I suppose, a balancing act between a flood and pointed beam. If the beam was any more focused, it would lose some of it's utility for my applications. A little less focused would still be OK. We live on a big country place that is dark at night. Self-sufficiency is a big theme here so all kinds of things are being built, renovated, or repaired. A sharply focused beam is used less often then a flood for these activities but the LS1rev2 is a very useful compromise between the two. It is especially useful in seeing into dark corners to check engines or machine parts and looking for tools, searching outbuildings at night, etc. Also, the light works well when held in the mouth...if a headlamp is not available. If I need any more of a focused beam, which is only occasionally, I can go to a light such as the Mag3D or Legend LX.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
And yet another X5 vs Arc LS Rev 1 second... My ever-so-slightly green LS is at least 50% brighter than a friend's X5 (his with fresh batteries and mine with medium use batteries). Naturally his lumen output will fall off as the X5 sucks up the juice whereas the LS will maintain a flat output for several hours (AA's). He was very impressed with the Arc but those Inovas are really great little suckers, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.