looking for a new flashlight

igneous

Newly Enlightened
hello.

I'm new to the whole flashlight scene and I figured this is the bets place to ask for advise seeing as that a quick search on google has returned hundreds of models and tens of different brand. the only named flashlight I've owned before was a 2xAA Maglite. it broke after a year and I never bothered buying anything from famous brands after that.

now, however I'm looking for very good flashlight to take place in my safe box that I keep in case of disaster.

so I am looking for a flashlight which is

• reliable
  • water and dist proof
  • rigid, won't brake if dropped
  • compact (palm size)
  • LED - they seem brighter and more reliable to me
  • bright (I'm thinking around 50+ lumens)
  • battery lasts at least 1.5 hours on max output
  • has multiple output modes
  • (immune to EMP) - not required, but would be nice

my budget is up to 300-350 USD. doesn't have to be that high, of course, it's just the money I'm prepared to pay if need be.

it would be nice if you could advise me a few different models to choose from and give their strong/weak points. for example, after some googling I figured that SureFire has good reputation and SureFire KROMA meet most of my requirements. are there any alternatives?

thanks in advance.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you want to get a custom, you can't go wrong with Surefire. Either the Kroma or the U2 would be good choices.

Welcome to CPF!

igneous

Newly Enlightened
just by looking at the tech specs, Fenix P3D CE looks much better than both SureFire KROMA and U2 and yet costs much less. why is that? what's the catch here?

scottaw

Enlightened
Looks like you have yourself a nice budget for this project, I own both surefires, and fenix's, if my life depended on it....id grab the surefire. You KNOW it's gonna work in an emergency situation. Don't get me wrong, my Fenix rocks, but it's not guaranteed waterproof, it's not as rugged as the surefire, BUT it has way more runtime. With technology today, i would say definately buy something with a Cree/Seoul so you get long runtime. So here's my reccomendation...a Surefire 6P, simple, proven design that's always gonna work for you ($40ish) AND a Fenix or other multi-level Cree light ($50ish) Save your other $210 and buy some extra batteries and you're good to go.

defusion

Enlightened
stick+some type of cloth+gasoline, there's your EMP light.
get a mil-spec kroma for the rest.

oh and i still suggest getting at least an incan with a few spare bulbs, as these are more easily replaceable IF something goes wrong.

or go by the other suggestion, fenix LED for your normal use, and a cheap incan surefire (+still some extra bulbs), though i wouldn't trust my life to fenix either. (oh, and i wouldn't trust surefire clicky switches with that either, but thats another story. the rest of their stuff is bomb proof)

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
With the budget you have set you can have many choices. Fenix for budget EDC light and a Surefire for when only the best will do! I would recommed the U2. Or maybe a custom. I think I just repeated what everyone else said!! :eek:

buzby

Newly Enlightened
i don't know if they are out yet, but i'd look at the new surefire e2l. 45 lumens and 18 hours run time. and as a back up get a fenix that runs on readily available AA batteries.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm mumbling something about a Surefire A2 plus Petzl E+Lite headlamp for emergencies. If you don't mind the wider bezel, you can't go wrong with the Kroma. It's a nice light... but I felt it was too big for my tastes.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I think it might be dangerous to "put all your eggs in one basket" with just one super good light, such as the Kroma. I like the idea of many lights, some that use AA too. Lithium AA that is... for the longer 15 year shelf life afforded by the different battery chemistry VS CR123A type. Apart from those Code Red batteries (search forum for more info... they are not very impressive at all) the Energizer AA Lithium has the longest shelf life of any readily available battery. I'd think having multiple lights in a kit would be best... different colors too for different situations etc., :whistle:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy igneous, and welcome to CPF. Lots of good advice so far. I like the idea of multiple lights also, because even an LED light can fail, and of course, you will often need to loan one to a friend when the lights go out. A couple of Fenix L2D CE 2xAA lights would be a nice start, along with a good supply of lithium AA batteries. Then a Mag 2 or 3D cell LED light for extra ruggedness..... and a good headlamp for hands free use.

Whatever you do, make sure you have at least one good keychain or EDC (every day carry) light, like a Fenix LOD CE (1xAAA), because as we all know around here.... the BEST light is most certainly the one you ALWAYS have with you when you absolutely need it the most. :)

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
Derek Dean said:
Whatever you do, make sure you have at least one good keychain or EDC (every day carry) light, like a Fenix LOD CE (1xAAA), because as we all know around here.... the BEST light is most certainly the one you ALWAYS have with you when you absolutely need it the most. :)

It is the light you carry all the time that may well be the only light you get to use during an emergency situation. That is the unsettling truth I believe IMHO. So I have Photon microlights on every key ring etc,. and even two attached to the EDC victorinox that's in the small jean change pocket right now. (One white LED with two 2016's for brightness, One white with a 2032 for dimmer (but still very useful) longer run time) So light and small I never even feel them there. And there is still room for several more...
I have become a rabid disciple of LRI Photon micro lights for sure :laughing:

tman11

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the flashlight scene as well and picked up most of my torches by reading and learning from the CPF members here. A lot of the topics are over my head about the mods, but I hope to learn more the longer I'm here.

I agree with the some of the responses that that you shouldn't blow all your $$ on one light. Surefire by far is my favorite manufacturer, specifically the SF C2 ($100) because I use it so much at work in the ER, and it's a great light to have around at home. I like the size and feel of the C2, with a blue filter (which I use to see corneal abrasions under stain). I recently purchased and love my Fenix P3D--- that's a very, bright, compact light, but it's not a Surefire.

Having spent all the money I have on flashlights, my top 3 for my purposes would be:

SF C2 ($100)
incandescent 60 lumens, has a clip and can be upgraded to 170 lumens with a Cree D26(on order)

SF L4 ($ 160)
compact, LED - a bright 100 lumens, very good purchase if you feel like rewarding yourself with something nice..you deserve it!!

Fenix P3D ($ 60)
very compact, LED, 6 settings and a whopping 160 Lumens on turbo mode..

Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I've got a swag of Surefires, and if given one choice, the L4 will do what you are asking. That'll give you a fair bit of change in your budget to either try out other things, or wait for the crees to be the new standard.

Swing by JSBurly's and pick up a pila rechargable kit (like the one I have) and you'll be laughing. Guilt free lumens that imho are just as reliable as the original 123's. The batteries hardly lose charge when stored for long periods.

Unless you're in Jack Bauer's version of LA, I think you should be okay for EMP :) That city just keeps on taking the big hits!

igneous

Newly Enlightened
thank you all for your advise.

I ended up buying a P3D CE and a L1D CE. their runtime was the selling point to me. SureFire quality seems to be unrivaled, so I'll get myself a SureFire as soon as they release more efficient flashlights that are at least as good as the current Fenixes.

now all I need is a good headlamp. my budget for one is still the same, $300 (±$50). what's a good brand to choose from? the main requirement is runtime, then brightness. must be waterproof. external battery isn't a problem.

greenLED

Flashaholic
...I'll get myself a SureFire as soon as they release more efficient flashlights that are at least as good as the current Fenixes.

now all I need is a good headlamp. my budget for one is still the same, $300 (±$50). what's a good brand to choose from? the main requirement is runtime, then brightness. must be waterproof. external battery isn't a problem.
I guess "good" is in the eye of the beholder. You simply can't compare Fenix quality with what goes into making a SF. Anyhow...

Sounds like you're ready for a Stenlight, *the* absolute best headlamp out there (so far, at least):
http://www.stenlight.com/

For "cheapie" headlamps, try Petzl or Black Diamond. Princeton Tec's Eos and Apex (& Apex Pro) are current favorites 'round here.