A2 help. Calling all Gurus

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a A2-HA-RD light that is acting up, and I can't figure out why.
The transistion from the red LED to the white incan is very inconsistant. When depressing the switch sometimes the main light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will come on to an orange glow as though it is not getting a good connection. The LEDs stay on, and I have tried switching the tailcap, and body with other A2's, and it is the same thing. (oviously in the head)
I sent this light to Surefire, and they sent it back having done nothing, and no note or anything in the box. Having to pay for shipping a second time back to Surefire certainly isn't going to make me a more dedicated customer so I was wondering if anyone here knew of anything I could try first. I have cleaned all threads, and tried several sets of new batteries.

Thanks
Chuck

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did not mention having tried another lamp assembly. There have been some instances of partially broken connections between the bulb and the base.

Mark

greenLED

Flashaholic
Try another set of batteries; the ones in there may not be fresh. The only other time I've had the same thing happen it was because the threads and the insides of the tailcap were dirty.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been through about a dozen of them that all worked fine in my other A2's. Cleaned all the threads (top, and bottom) switched bulbs, and I am about to the point of switching the lanyard ring if that would fix it.

carrot

Flashaholic
Is it possible the bezel is not tightened down all the way? Perhaps the pocket clip is in the way of it tightening all the way down? I've heard of this causing interesting problems.

Again, I must echo what others have noted, that BatteryStation brand batteries seem not to work that well with the A2 for some odd reasons.

You mentioned having other A2's -- have you tried swapping the tailcaps? Bezels even? Maybe the LED ring is not screwed down all the way? Not really sure what could be causing the problems, but maybe these might lead you on the right path?

Last edited:

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
After playing Lego with another A2 for the third time I have determined it is the tailcap. No if I can just SF to send me another without having to send the light in again. I'll be happy. I am not overjoyed that they did nothing the first time around though.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend has a RED A2 and it does the same thing somtimes. I have cleaned it from top to bottum (wichever end that is) and it still does it. I wonder if it just does it in the RED A2's?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Often, the reported problems with A2's tend to be either the batteries or the tailcap. Good luck!