Covers, Protectors, Diffusers???

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are 3 of my lights that I have made improvised cover/diffusers for. I also use the covers as lens protection. I guess my question is, why as hand held lighting has become increasingly more popular is it so hard to find accessories such as this? I would also like to find one for my new Fenix P3D, but so far have had no luck finding something that fits well. What I have used so far mostly has come from tops off my wifes sprays, makeups, etc. It seems as if someone could make a business out of this. For all the L1D CE and P1D/P2D owners out there, the P3D is the same diameter(2.1cm). What have some of you come up with? Thanks.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I know that the "face-ring" of the Mini-Maglite (incand. or LED)

fits perfectly into a white plastic Bayer Aspirin bottle.

First, you've gotta' remove the paper label. (of course)
This is much more difficult than it should be. :mad:

I've found that a good soaking with WD-40 helps a LOT.
But remember, you'll hafta' let it SOAK for at least 30 minutes.

You don't NEED to remove every single little TRACE of paper label, but *I* want to. :)

Bayer uses several different sizes of plastic bottles.
I *believe* mine are from 50 count and 100 count size.

But i can't tell for sure, cuz' i've already removed their labels. :D

This makes for a MUCH nicer "Candle Mode" than Mag's idea
of simply removing the flashlight head.

And keeps the unit's waterproof integrity intact, also.

A very snug fit that won't come off accidently,
but is easily removable with a "cool-sounding" POP !

Hope this helps . . . .

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here is what I came up with. An old 35mm film canister. Cut a hole in the lid to fit the P3D. Sanded it with fine grit paper and then buffed it with very fine steel wool. Works great, very functional, but ugly as hell on my beautiful P3D. Oh well....It will do until I find something better. Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed.

p3ddiffusernj2.jpg

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe with all the Fenix owners out there that there aren't some more really great ideas floating around. I've seen some of the best minds in flashaholism in here. Where are all you great thinkers? Please help another up and coming flashaholic out...
begging.gif

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Long John. I had actually seen your post about this before CPF went down and found it very interesting. I have a dentist appointment next week and I'll be sure to grab some gloves and check it out. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I use a translucent water bottle cap on my HDS lights. I can't recall if it came off of a Dasani or Arrowhead water bottle, but "Alcoa" is on the inside of the cap I believe. The cap fits snugly and diffuses the light very well. You can either push the cap partial way down for a lamp affect, or all the way to diffuse the beam.

andyz

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rob

If you know someone local with a lathe you could get something made up to fit your lights, not sure what it would cost but it may be worth asking.

This is a small diffuser I machined up on a hobby lathe which works well for me.

col-4.jpg

col-5.jpg

Andrew

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmm . . . .

I know that Atomic Chicken can machine polycarbonate rods. :)

I'm getting an idea here. :grin2:

Sorry, Atomic. Don't wanna' add even more to your workload.

But when yer' not busy . . . .

:whistle: