Arc AAA foam retainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyyanks

Newly Enlightened
is it "ok" for the foam retainer to absorb the vaseline thats used to lubricate the threads and o ring? I think its unavoidable to have it not absorb the grease at it rotates up and down?

Darell

Flashaholic
It won't absorb much of anything. Even if it does, I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, I'd also choose something other than Vaseline to lubricate the threads. There are many synthetic lubes that are far superior. Remember that your ground path goes through those threads as well, so a "conductive" grease would be your safest bet.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Originally posted by nyyanks:
is it "ok" for the foam retainer to absorb the vaseline thats used to lubricate the threads and o ring? I think its unavoidable to have it not absorb the grease at it rotates up and down?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A petroleum based product will degrade your ARC's rubber o-ring. Thoroughly wipe off what is probably on your o-ring right now and it should be fine. Find a silicone based lubricant (hardware store) or something like Radio Shacks Multi Purpose Lube gel. Other folks have their favorite products, just make sure yours isn't petroleum based.

As for the foam ring, just make sure it hasn't loosened from the ARC head.

nyyanks

Newly Enlightened
what synthetic lubes are good? Is the Radio Shack lube synthetic? whats the Radio shack part #

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the grease used between CPU's and heat sinks, is that good for flashlights? How about the dielectric grease that you put in sparkplug boots? Just asking cuz I have some here already.

Streak

Enlightened
The CPU stuff is heatsink compound designed to transfer heat, it also quite gritty, I would not use it for the ARC.
Not sure about the dielectric grease.
The cheapest option is a tube of silicone grease that you can get at about any Home Depot, hardware store, motor spares store etc. etc. It will last you a lifetime.
I coat my Photon batteries with the stuff and also coat all the bearing surfaces of the case, makes it pretty water repelent.
On the ARC's I coat the threads and O rings with the same. Makes the action nice and smoothe.
I have the NYE products, very hight tech. but no real perceived difference in feel.
With either grease you will find after some time that there is dark residue that forms after a number of on and off rotations. I just celan it off both inside and outside and re-apply the grease.
Have fun.

www.worst4x4.freeservers.com

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Originally posted by MichiganMan:
A petroleum based product will degrade your ARC's rubber o-ring. Thoroughly wipe off what is probably on your o-ring right now and it should be fine. Find a silicone based lubricant (hardware store) or something like Radio Shacks Multi Purpose Lube gel. Other folks have their favorite products, just make sure yours isn't petroleum based.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The O-rings are not rubber. They are "Buna" O-rings.
Arc Flashlight says: "If O-ring becomes dry, apply common grease (petroleum or silicon based)."

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Originally posted by CNC Dan:
[QB
The O-rings are not rubber. They are "Buna" O-rings.
Arc Flashlight says: "If O-ring becomes dry, apply common grease (petroleum or silicon based)."[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Really?
shocked.gif
Where's that quote from? It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Peter chose a more exotic high quality material for the o-rings, but I got my silicon grease recommendation from the FAQ at: ARC FAQ

snuffy

Enlightened
Where's that quote from?

On the back of the card inside the blister pac the light comes in.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, all of our external o-rings are "Buna" (Buna-Nitrile) which can handle petroleum immersion and a few other things. Not necessarily exotic in my opinion, this is the same stuff used in your car.

So yes, you can use either petroleum or silicon based greases. We mention the RS silicon because it is quick and easy to find.

Peter Gransee

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Originally posted by Gransee:
Yup, all of our external o-rings are "Buna" (Buna-Nitrile) which can handle petroleum immersion and a few other things. Not necessarily exotic in my opinion, this is the same stuff used in your car.

So yes, you can use either petroleum or silicon based greases. We mention the RS silicon because it is quick and easy to find.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well its exotic compared to the cheap (probably Chinese
winkie.GIF
) petroleum degradable rubber you could have chosen to use for the o-rings.

So, um, anyone wanna buy a very slightly used can of Silicone spray and or an equally slightly used tube of Radio Shack lube?? Anyone?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i have actually went to many many places (hardware stores, rs, wal-mart, k-mart, auto places, etc.) and couldn't find silicone lube...

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
i have actually went to many many places (hardware stores, rs, wal-mart, k-mart, auto places, etc.) and couldn't find silicone lube...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh... well... thats because its QUITE hard to find. And VERY valuable...

I'd consider making the ultimate sacrifice and give up my can for for, say, oh I don't know, a new ARC LE?

I know, you'd feel that you were taking advantage of me, but don't worry, my compensation is knowing that I've helped some ARC user somewhere.

(And keep this deal between you and me, the other ARC owners on the board would be jealous and try and frustrate you by sending you to Home Depot to look for William H. Harvey Silicone Grease, but don't listen to them, just mail your LE to me and I'll take care of you.)

Darell

Flashaholic
MichiganMan.... keep the lube!

Just because you CAN use Vaseline, and other cheap petro-based lubes, doesn't mean they work all that well. But then, if you get an LE for them, by all means...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.