Nite-Ize 1W upgrade w/IQ Switch

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two thumbs up!

Got it from REI for $20. Has the switch, reflector and a little Luxeon 1w bipin drop-in.

Output is similar to my Civictor on alkies--quite good.
Color is nice and white; beam is like the S017 reflector (large-ish bright spot, with very bright, clean spill).

The switch is positively cool. It feels solid, and has a solid click.
It has the little red "find me flasher," which blinks about every 3 seconds.
The UI reminds me of the Palight selector: you click rapidly to cycle through high, medium, low, slow flash and fast flash. Pause at whatever level you like.
The next click, after a pause, turns the light off.

In the fist three settings (H/M/L), it is also in timer mode, which turns the light off at 15 minutes. This is primarily why I bought it--for my 2.5yr old niece.
At about 13.5 minutes, it executes a series of warning flashes over a few seconds, to let you know it is about to go out.
It does this three or four times, then turns off.

It also works with the low-output 3x5mm led module.
Unlike others, I haven't noticed any drop in output, BUT, I haven't tried it with the Badboy 400's or Madmax Lite.
I am a bit nervous about frying the switch.

In all, I think this setup is sweet!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've tried the IQ with an Arc LSL. Switch was not fried, at least during a few seconds' use, but output was very low. It might be a good way to get super runtime from that light.

Geoff

greenLED

Flashaholic

z96Cobra

Enlightened
When the Mini-Mag LEDs first came out, I put one of my IQ switches on it (had to stretch the spring) and when I activated the light, the switch burned out almost instantly. The newer switches (like the one that comes with the 1w drop in) are supposed to be improved mechanically and electrically. Don't know if it will hold up to the 3w mags though, and I'm not risking another switch!!!

Roger

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
these have been at target for awhile now.. havent they? I seen them at the one in toledo for like 20bucks

Joseph13

Newly Enlightened
Sport Chalet is another place they are offered, as well as REI

I have Nite-Ize 3led bulb unit and 1watt unit, the both funtion extemly well for me with IQ Switch.
Got my switch about a week ago.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I came up with a neat way to enjoy the 1 watt LED from Nite-Ize without worrying about the drop in output from using the I.Q. switch, or having to deal with its annoying blinking red light....

1 - Bought me a new, black, standard Mini-mag.
2 - Bought just the 1 watt LED from a ****'s Sporting Goods store.
3 - Found a Nite-Ize combo 3-LED / tailcap switch kit I had at home.
4 - Combined the 1 watt LED with the standard tailcap switch. :grin2:

Works great! .... Okay, so there's no way to change the level of output from the 1 watt. It's stuck on the brightest setting. But that doesn't bother me! Also, I'm now stuck with the 3-LED housing by itself. But that's not a big deal. It can work without a tailcap switch.

Overall, very happy with how the light turned out. Slipped on an oversized Mag pen-clip on it. You can buy the 1 watt by itself, and the standard tailcap switch by itself too. Buying them seperately will run you about $20.

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened
The 1 watt from nite-ize is horrid compared to the TerraLUX tle-5ex. I tested the two side-by-side at sportsman's with brand new batts and my tle-5ex was 3x brighter. Plus, since I had an IQ on the 5ex the output was noticably lower, so I am making my own mcclicky-based minimag switch, prototyping this week or next. Less resistance, better quality and simple UI.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Terralux Extreme sounds pretty nice...looks amazingly bright.

How is the beam on it?