Wolf-Eyes 6MX Explorer With D36 Cree & RCR123's (pics) 56K/dial-up death!

BUZ

Enlightened
Well last week I received from Mike@PTS a wolf eyes 6MX Explorer fitted with a D36 HO cree (170 lumen) lamp and all I can say is wow is this sucker impressive!!! This lamp puts out a amazing amount of flood and throw, much more than my fenix P3D. I have had several 6MX's in the past (incan) and really liked them, excellent build quality with glass lenses and a very durable finish. This setup project's a nearly flawless beam with almost zero artifacts, every other setup that I have had in the past (with a cree) has had lots of rings and to be honest they drove me nuts! So far I have only run this setup on primaries however I will be doing some runtime test's with battery station 900 mAh RCR123's, AW RCR 123's and a AW 18650 (all protected). It appears that a 17670 or 18650 is not regulated with this lamp which is too bad however I see that WE's has a cree that is 3.7-6 volts so a 18650 should work nicely for that! Another thing I really like about the WE's lamp is that it's built like a tank, extremely heavy duty and I bet it's a great heat dissipater (I have never seen a lamp even close thickness wise)! Last night I was messin around in the back yard with the 6MX cree and a 200 lumen WE's 9DX raider which is quite bright! The 6MX cree's output easily matched that of the 9DX, This sucker is a real eye popper!!!

I really like this setup due to the fact that it's compact, has a d36 reflector, has loads of very useful spill, great throw, can be run on a variety of cell configurations li-ion or primaries (3.7-13volts), has a glass lens, durable, and fairly water proof (passed the dunk test with flying colors)! In the past after purchasing the latest, greatest, brightest LED I always found myself going back to an incan for every day carry however after playing with this setup for the last week I can easily say this is my new carry light. If you have a few extra bucks I highly recommend giving the cree 6MX a try (worth every cent)!

I plan on getting some beamshot's up shortly! If anyone has any beamshot's of the WE's D26 or D36 please post em' up! :)

For info on this setup contact mike @
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

p5310001kn1.jpg

p5310040yq3.jpg

Wolf eye's 6MX next to a surefire G2
p5310035sg4.jpg

p5310037ec6.jpg

p5310014hs6.jpg

p5310010an8.jpg

p5310017ro7.jpg

p5310018fl5.jpg

p5310026as3.jpg

p5310022ju9.jpg

Aprox. 10" from wall
p5310042oj6.jpg

Aprox. 4ft from wall
p5310011is0.jpg

Upstairs beamshot........door is aprox. 25ft away :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
p6010003nr0.jpg

Aprox. 1 meter from wall, hotspot aprox. 10"
p6010014xk5.jpg

Under exposed 6MX cree left WE's 200 lumen 9DX raider right
p6010001se9.jpg

6MX D36 cree left 200 lumen 9DX raider right on fresh primaries aprox. 2ft from wall
p5310005ad8.jpg

11:00pm @ night pitch black outside.......the flood on this is amazing
p5310001oc0.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just completed runtime tests with AW & Battery-Station RCR123 cells.

The 750mAh AW cells provided 68 minutes of runtime with the (170 lumen D36 cree lamp), I saw no drop in overall output during the test however once the cells reached 68 minutes the lamp died without warning! After waiting a few seconds I tried to see if I could get any more light from the depleted cells and got aprox. 10 seconds worth (after that the lamp would not light up any more).

Pretty much the same performance from the Battery-station 900mAh cells however I was quite surprised that the runtime of Battery-Station 900mAh cells was only 66 minutes! The Aw's cells have 150mAh less capacity and provide 2 more minutes of runtime! I think I'm gonna stick with the AW cells for use in 6MX, not only do they give a couple extra minutes runtime the quality of the AW cells seems to be a little better (IMO)!

A quick note, after 30min's of runtime I noticed the body and the bezel of the 6MX got quite warm to the touch (guess it should be expected as it's putting out 170 lumens)! However both sets of RCR123's actually stayed quite cool, thats a good thing.

p6020024kp0.jpg

p6020027ib3.jpg

Last edited:

BUZ

Enlightened
Re: Wolf eyes 6MX D36 cree setup (pics)!

Wow! Beautiful beam. I'm sold on the Cree assembly. Time to order. :twothumbs

Yeah you'll love it! The other night I went over to a friends house (happens to be a WA State trooper) and showed him this setup. His jaw nearly hit the ground after he turned it on :eek:, he carries a little cheapie LED (that @ best is putting out 25 lumens) for doing vehicle searches and what not.

KeeperSD

Enlightened

Yeah you'll love it! The other night I went over to a friends house (happens to be a WA State trooper) and showed him this setup. His jaw nearly hit the ground after he turned it on :eek:, he carries a little cheapie LED (that @ best is putting out 25 lumens) for doing vehicle searches and what not.

You might have to point him towards the new two stage Defender II so he can have the best of both worlds, low for searches and high for anything else he might need to blind :D

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Re: Wolf eyes 6MX D36 cree setup (pics) 56K/dial-up death!

Hey Buz,
Nice pics there! :thumbsup:
Did you know that D36 Cree will work nicely in your 9D? :naughty:

Runtime in the 9D would be:
3-CR123A batteries: 180 minutes with regulated output, and 14 hours with unregulated output.
2-LRB150A batteries: 160 minutes with regulated output

BUZ

Enlightened

Hey Buz,
Nice pics there! :thumbsup:
Did you know that D36 Cree will work nicely in your 9D? :naughty:

Runtime in the 9D would be:
3-CR123A batteries: 180 minutes with regulated output, and 14 hours with unregulated output.
2-LRB150A batteries: 160 minutes with regulated output

Thanks Mike!

Yeah I plan on trying it out in the 9DX along with 2x AW 18500 cells! :D

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pix. That's a lot of shoulder on the bezel end of the reflector. What is the actual reflector size excluding the shoulder?

-LT

Mike@PTS

Enlightened

Thanks for the pix. That's a lot of shoulder on the bezel end of the reflector. What is the actual reflector size excluding the shoulder?

-LT
Hi LT,
The ID at the widest point of the reflector is about 1 1/16 inch. Please don't ask me to convert that for you, I'm metric challenged. :grin2:

BUZ

Enlightened

How do the spills compare in brightness?

The 6MX cree definitely has a much more usable/brighter spill compared to the 9DX raider. As you can see in the last pic above the spill from the cree pretty much floods out the spill from the 9DX incan!

You might have to point him towards the new two stage Defender II so he can have the best of both worlds, low for searches and high for anything else he might need to blind

Right now he uses a ultra stinger as a main light however I think he's considering switching to a cree WE's setup for an all around light! The defender II looks like a good setup also!

Done deal. I placed an order for the D26 high output 170 drop-in.
:twothumbs

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Buz can you measure the diameter of the spot @ 1 meter (3.281 ft) please.TQ

frosty

Enlightened

Hi Mike.

I have so been waiting for this to go in my 6MX, which I love to bits. I assume you be offering the D36 Cree as a dropin?

I can only see complete flashlights on your site. (Actually it comes up with an internal error, when I try to view them). I can see the D26 Cree dropins under the accessories page. Maybe the site hasn't been updated yet.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi LT,
The ID at the widest point of the reflector is about 1 1/16 inch. Please don't ask me to convert that for you, I'm metric challenged. :grin2:

Thanks for the info. Don't look at me I use www.convert-me.com since my brain cells have been leaking out of my head while I sleep over the last few years. :crazy: I get about 27mm for 1.0625" .

Cheers,
-LT

BUZ

Enlightened

Hi Mike.

I have so been waiting for this to go in my 6MX, which I love to bits. I assume you be offering the D36 Cree as a dropin?

I can only see complete flashlights on your site. (Actually it comes up with an internal error, when I try to view them). I can see the D26 Cree dropins under the accessories page. Maybe the site hasn't been updated yet.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6307&tb=1&kw=cree&st=4

Specifications:

Cree HO 3.7V-13V D26/ D36 lamp assembly

• Output: 170 lumens
  • Voltage: 3.7V-13V
  • Runtime (2-CR123A batteries): 90 minutes with regulated output, and 8 hours with unregulated output.
  • Runtime (3-CR123A batteries): 180 minutes with regulated output, and 14 hours with unregulated output.
  • Runtime (4-CR123A batteries): 270 minutes with regulated output, and 16 hours with unregulated output.
  • Runtime (2-LRB150A batteries): 160 minutes with regulated output
  • Runtime (3-LRB150A batteries): 270 minutes with regulated output

Last edited:

frosty

Enlightened

That's the one I've seen already. However the specs seem to show this as a D26. Whilst it does mention the D36, there is no option to select a D36 version.

I think I'll email Mike and ask if they have them in stock.

BUZ

Enlightened

That's the one I've seen already. However the specs seem to show this as a D26. Whilst it does mention the D36, there is no option to select a D36 version.

I think I'll email Mike and ask if they have them in stock.

Just purchase that one and in the "notes box" during checkout mention that you want a D36 lamp.

Yeah I'd contact Mike first to make sure there in stock, he responds pretty quick to his emails.