Inova XO2 review

zapper

Enlightened
Well, my local Fry's in Houston has the silver version for $12.94. I passed it up at least three times and finally broke down and bought one. I looked for other reviews and they all said it was the same as the XO, but was supposed to be brighter, but no one had both to compare. Well, neither do I, so I judged it with Fenix lights. Basically, it's barely worth it even at this price, solely my opinion though.:thumbsdow
I've got the rest of the write up here.

aceo07

Enlightened
The XO2 is OLD. It's hard to compare it to new technologies.

I love my INova lights though. They're solid and reliable. While they're not as bright or advanced as my HDS EDC U60 (upgraded to seoul), I know I can depend on it as my backup.

lumenal

Enlightened
I agree with the OP-to a point.

I puchased an XO2 on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse and couldn't believe how weak the beam was. Very yellow and dim. So I returned it.

A month later, I was at SW again, and saw another XO2 on display, and tested it out. I pointed it up at the ceiling, and it seemed to have a stronger beam. So I bought it.

The newer XO2 is much whiter, with a beam that almost matches my XO3. The XO3 has that flared head, so its got a tighter hotspot. But the newer XO2 is head and shoulders above the first one I bought.

Maybe Inova sent out a batch with sub-par circuitry and emitters? Because this newer XO2 is a much better, overall package. Even the momentary on switch feels, and functions better than my first.:shrug:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Very poor review. You should retitle it "Inova XO2 Comments."

How did the runtime hold up? Was the regulation still effective? Instead of comparing the light to custom modded lights and modern CREE lights how did it stand on it's own? And in comparision to previous incarnations? Is the light still weatherproof? How well has the anodizing held up over the course of EDC?

zapper

Enlightened
parnass: I had found those but the the first seemed like just sales info and the second was mentioning the reflectored version. You were one of the few deep in the first post with solid information. Thank you.

lumenal: Outstanding, I had not found anything on the comparison of the two. As always, one example of an item cannot be considered an accurate representation. Maybe your second one was exceptional and your first and mine are the norm.!

aceo07: I agree with you completely!

spoonrobot:Some valid points. I'll ammend the initial post and write-up.
  • As I just bought it, I would have no way of knowing how the anodizing would hold up to EDC. I did the knife test and the ano stayed put.
  • I did state the build, fit and finish were excellent.
  • I described the beam as pink tinted, weak and ringy. It was actually the brighter one of the bunch on the rack.
  • a review is by one def: a general survey of something, esp. in words; a report or account of something.
  • Tailcap threads are large with very little chance of cross threading and temp button activation was solid. I would say it's like the LOTC on my SureFire 6P.
  • I compared the light to common lights one might buy today and are well known and popular for easy reference.
  • I have submersed it in a pitcher of water for an hour and had no signs of water inside.
  • Have not had the chance to do formal runtime or output tests nor the equipment so none are forthcoming. If the only difference is how hard the LED is being driven, I listed 500 mA current draw at the tailcap with various battery makes, it will logically have a shorter runtime.
  • Pwerizer 3.0V, 680 mAh RCR123 batteries fit work fine so far.
Thanks for your time and attention and if I can be of any service please post here. Ofcourse, all subjective matter is just my opinion and observances and YMMV. Cheers!:thumbsup:

Last edited: