Dexlight vs JetBeam MK.II X

sp5it

Enlightened
I'm going to buy one of them. I need your advice which one.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2888
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1994
I will use it as EDC light powered from AA and 14500 cell.
I like Jetbeam, looks nice, but maybe not worth spending more money if Dexlight is tha same or better performing.
Maybe someone got them both and can post outdoors beamshot od two of them or just share his opinion about those lights.
Thank you, Mike

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and like them both. With a 14500 they both provide the light I need in the basic mode. The JETBeam's 100% setting is quit a bit higher than the DX's 100%. If I where allowed only one, I would pick the DX.

Here are some light output numbers I took with a Lux meter doing a ceiling bounce. I can't say this is for every DX and JB, just mine. I've seen beam shots where a C-LE was brighter than an MKIIx. The C-LE I bought was not bright at all, even with a 14500.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2027528&postcount=169

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
I have the Jetbeam MK II X and received a DX XI yesterday.

I paid $40 for the DX. Fit and finish are 98% as good as the Jetbeam. Output is also pure white but slightly less bright than the Jetbeam. It is however, still way brighter than my Fenix L1D CE which stands well on it's own merits.

If DX is sold out of the MKII for $55, you should buy the DX X1. It is not worth it to spend almost $80 for the Jetbeam. I'm very satisfied with my DX and would buy it again in a second.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nic

Newly Enlightened
Dexlight X1 is only brighter than Fenix L1D CE when using 14500 cells, otherwise it is slightly less bright (to my eyes), but with more spill and less hotspot.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Same experience here - on regular batteries, my DX X.1 is not quite as bright as my MkIIX, but is otherwise pretty close in build quality (with a slight nod in favour of the MkIIX). My X.1 beam tint is a also bit cooler than my MkIIX

On regular batteries (alkaline, NiMH, L91 lithiums) my Fenix L1D CE is definitely much brighter than either light. On 14500, my X.1 and MkIIX are brighter (and roughly equivalent to each other).

Frankly, all 3 lights are good choices - you'd likely be happy either any of them.

sp5it

Enlightened
Thanks all of you for replays. Dexlight with 14500 is ordered.
This will be my backup light for Surefire U2.
Mike

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Question...

I tried the Jetbeam MKII X on Energizer Nimh rechargeables 2500maH and to me it seems to be just as bright as standard AA alkaline. I keep reading that people are experiencing brighter with 14500. Are these that much different than the Energizer rechargeables?

Thanks for the input...

Regards,
Flavio

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question...

I tried the Jetbeam MKII X on Energizer Nimh rechargeables 2500maH and to me it seems to be just as bright as standard AA alkaline. I keep reading that people are experiencing brighter with 14500. Are these that much different than the Energizer rechargeables?

Thanks for the input...

Regards,
Flavio

You won't see much difference with NIMH (1,2 vots) and alkaline (1,5 volts) but the difference is HUGE with a 14500 because of it's higher voltage (3,7)

C

cgc

What kind of 14500 batteries and with what charger are you guys using for these lights? I understand that theres lithium and unprotected lithium batteries.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
According to my home-made milk carton lightbox, the MkIIX on 14500 is more than twice as bright than it is on NiMH. In fact, it's about a ~160% increase in overall output over NiMH (i.e a 100% increase would have been twice as bright).

Of course, the milk carton isn't the best integrating sphere, so take that as approximate. I haven't done runtimes at 100% on 14500 (frankly, I'm afraid of damaging the emitter for any sustained time at that level, even with a cooling fan), but I have a large number of runtimes for different relative outputs posted here:

Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMSHOTS

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Dealextreme is working fine for me on Firefox 2.0.0.4

I'd buy the Dexlight because IMO it is too similar to the Jetbeam to justify the $10 difference

Last edited:

alphazeta

Enlightened
Hi just for your information from the items he has listed for sale, it *appears* that he is drop shipping his items from dealextreme. In layman terms, you are essentially paying someone to order from dealextreme for you. Hope that helps.

I have a MK.II X on order from this guy,

http://cgi.ebay.com/JetBeam-MK-II-X...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He also has the Dexlight V.X listed. Does anyone have any experience dealing with him? I bought the light 16 days ago and it still has not arrived.