Fluorescent Pocket Light from Radio Shack

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing Radio Shack the other day (...one of my favorite gadget places), and stumbled onto this cool little light. It's about 3 1/2 in long and 2 1/2 in wide with a fluorescent bulb. It has a belt clip and has turned out to be a great light for night walking. It puts about as much light as a 20w incan bulb, and for $6.99 has turned out to be a great little light. It runs on 2 AA batteries, and with it's flat back (the belt clip is in-set) it can easily be put just about anywhere with velcro...neat little portable task light!
wink.gif
...this is just FYI

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one at a RS in San Diego three months ago for about $11.XX. They had some more.

These things draw about 700 mA, so you'll want to use NiMh's on a frequent use basis and store them with Lithiums. People have reported that they get about 1 1/2 hour out of alkalines. Lithiums should deliver 4 hours and 1800 NiMh's should run for > 2 hours.

I really like the light output, but I hate the battery cover removal process. It always feels like I'm going to break the covers.

What voltage does the inverter step up the 2AA output to?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the light output, but I hate the battery cover removal process.

They changed it not so long ago- I have both kinds (except one`s dead, needs a new tube cos I dropped it!). The old one where they slide up a little way then you "snap" them outwards, and the much better new kind that slides straight up and off smoothly, no twisting or bending required.

I use them to illuminate the subjects of many of my photos, nice brightness and I don`t leave them on too long so the battery life isn`t too bad. But I may try Lithiums next time I find any at a decent price. Even at twice the price of alkaline, if I really do get nearly 3 times the run, it`s worth it. And they`re lighter too, the duck tape holding them in place is more likely to stay holding!

shocked.gif
grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris:

Too bad Radio Shack only has the old snap-off version in the Cardiff I live in.

(We Californians wish we were in Wales with you.)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've had intermittent problems with the switch on mine. Sometimes it doesn't want to turn off and sometimes it doesn't want to turn on. Nothing appears to be user adjustable on the switch.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone actually use the lithium batteries in this light over an "extended" period of time? I did several months ago while reading at night. After being on for awhile (I don't remember exactly how long), the light started to give off a slight burning odor, so I immediately switched back to alkalines. Has anyone had a similar experience, or do I just have a defective light?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashfan:

No, I haven't run lithiums for extended periods. I've always been within changing distance of NiMh's every two hours of run time or less. I currently store it in my car with Lithiums.

I hope (for my sake, sorry) that your experience is an abberation.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
do you have a Robert Dyas near you ? (A chain of hardware shops).
There is an Osram 2x AA flourescent @ £8, very similar to that one. It also has a lousy incand on top, (it works *reasonably* well with WriteRight) which adds about an inch in length.

Let me know if you're interested - I have to get another one for myself too.

(Actually, those ones pictured above are cute - anyone want to sell one ?) (Preferably one with a good switch ... )

lightlover

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jahn- does it look like this....

minicombi.jpg

...the Osram Mini-Combi.

I agree about the inacndescent bulb- halogens just don`t work at such a low power (yellowy and no better than an AA Minimag). But the florescent side is nice, just a touch dimmer than the 2AA Dulux Combi. I don`t much like the switch though, it`s hard to turn the florescent light off without overshooting the central Off position and turning the lamp on!

rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the one Chris.

Yes, once WriteRight is applied, the Incand beam is *usable*, but it doesn't really have more than the throw of the flourescent, so it's a bit surplus to requirements.

Any idea if that one will work with Lithium AA's ?

lightlover

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
artar...yeah, that's the one...Ireally like it. It's pretty handy...

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

artar

Enlightened
i have 3 of these osram dulux mini.

the case does not look very robust and propably it is not, but the lightis white, smooth and bright .
runtime is about 1 to 1.5 h with alkalines.

here in germany you find them everywhere for around 10 €.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea if that one will work with Lithium AA's ?

It should. Last time I had any spare ones (they now live in the proto ArcLS for whenever needed) I tried them in there to see if it improved the spotlight. It didn`t, much. A bit whiter but still not too good.

Now the Osram Dulux Combi on the other hand, that`s a good light. 4AA, faceted reflector and 2-level CCFT (3 and 5 watt settings). The spotlight beam isn`t perfect but it`s nice, and brighter than the 3D maglite in a smaller package. Not sure where to get those now, BHS had them ages ago which is where mine came from, but I havn`t been back for a look in a while.

grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:

(Actually, those ones pictured above are cute - anyone want to sell one ?) (Preferably one with a good switch ... )
lightlover
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I won't sell it to you, but I have one those with your name on it Jahn
smile.gif
, it's as new (no switch prob.) and has some Alien Skin hidden
shocked.gif
behind the tube.

-Say the word, and it's yours.
tongue.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Now the Osram Dulux Combi on the other hand, that`s a good light. 4AA, faceted reflector and 2-level CCFT (3 and 5 watt settings).
grin.gif
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not so sure that the Osram one is a CCFT.
confused.gif

Alan

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr.glow:
... I have one those with your name on it Jahn ...
-Say the word, and it's yours.
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THE WORD

Thanks Doug, sounds good to me !

It's a deal.
(I'll try to sort your stuff out as soon as possible.)

lightlover

artar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
I am not so sure that the Osram one is a CCFT.
confused.gif

Alan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

alan,

what is it then ?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artar:
alan,

what is it then ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have one of them. By looking at the picture, it might be a regular compact fluorescent tube.

CCFT (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Tube) is normally smaller in diameter (2.5mm to 6.5mm) like the one in ArcWhite or something like this

Alan