PayPal down ???

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to send one of our dear CPF members some $$ but PayPal seems to be giving an error code - can't even get the main page sometimes. I tried a proxy and it came up but I don't trust going through those to log in to a secure site like this. Anyone else noticed this? Could someone check to see if it's giving you a problem too? TIA!

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
They're down. Got "We are unable to complete your request..." as soon as I logged in.

I logged on last night around 10 and there was a notice stating they'd be down for maintenance from 11:30p-1:30a. Guess they were being optimistic:)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys - I also just logged into ebay and checked the forum boards there where there are others that have had the same problem. Hard to believe they would take it down at this time on a Friday.

dgc

Newly Enlightened
I made a payment a few hours ago and there was a red notice about a maintenance downtime. Unfortunately I didn't look at the times...

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that aint no good. I have a substantial sum sitting in paypal money market. I sure it is only temporary, but after Enron the thought is always in the back of mind. You never really know who could go belly up, and what if......?

Paypal is pretty stable though so they should be back up soon.

I hope, I hope, I hope

Ohhh I really hope......:eek:oo:

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whew! Get me nervous. Just logged into check my accounts. Seems like every in the world is doing the same thing right now. Very slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.....

I am starting to read more, and more about how Paypal must might not be the best investment stratagey. Is anyone else here growning more concerned about the safety of thier money market accounts at Paypal?

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be something serious to take down paypal on Friday afternoon. (Or their management is just plain dumb)
But hey when there is no major competition for PayPal atm so it's not like they're going to loose our business.
Oh well, it should be back up after work tonight I guess.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that aint no good. I have a substantial sum sitting in paypal money market. I sure it is only temporary, but after Enron the thought is always in the back of mind. You never really know who could go belly up, and what if......?

Paypal is pretty stable though so they should be back up soon.

I hope, I hope, I hope

Ohhh I really hope......:eek:oo:

If you've got a Paypal Credit Card, it's time to CHARGE!!!!!!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to be working fine for me, though it did crash while I was making a payment and they sent me an email asking me to fill out a questionnaire.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had trouble last night paying for some stuff at DX so eventually I gave up and came back maybe half an hour later and it was working again.

DM51

Flashaholic
There has been another problem with Paypal recently, reported here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165276

I sent a payment to another CPFer, but Paypoop won't let him claim it because he isn't "registered". He tried to register, but was told he can't do so unless he opens a US bank account. He lives in Israel !!!

He complained to them and they said they would fix it. It is now more than 2 weeks later, and still nothing has happened - the Israeli CPFer can't get his money, and obviously he can't ship the flashlight to me until he gets it. And who is sitting on this money in the meantime? Yep, you guessed it - PAYPOOP.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay bought PayPal. With over 100 Million users they do okay. That many users there are bound to be complaints although it does concern me at times that unlike a bank I don't think they really have to answer to anyone. Most issues I've seen with them involved them being overly cautious which would upset people because they were holding their money up. I think it's been better since eBay bought it and you have to assume eBay doesn't want to screw up their primary pay system when they have such a good thing going.