Vital Gear F2 to LED

D

Dimlyvisible

Feel free to laugh out loud.

What would be the best option for converting a VG F2 to LED?

I had thought that one of the drop ins for a Surefire 6P would work, but the one I bought didn't appear to fit (G&P 3W).

It would really need to be a drop in as I am about as technically capable as a half brick and I happened to buy one of the black ones so a colour match might be difficult otherwise, I know I am getting fussy with that one!

Thanks.

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dimlyvisible

Thanks, I was thinking about that as an option as well.

However, I do like the "big head" on the F2 and the black finished KL1/4s don't seem to be as common as the standard HAIII - I'm sure I will be corrected on that one.

Like I said, probably being a bit picky.

Neil.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for an LED option for my F2 also. I was thinking about one of the new Cree drop-ins. I've heard they fit inside, but there is a small gap when the head is tightened down. Not too bad and probably nothing a bit of sanding couldn't cure, but I never got first-hand-experience confirmation from anyone that any of the new Cree drop-ins would fit inside the head and close.

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
JSR, I have a wolf eyes Cree drop in module in my F2. Unlike the rest of the modules this one is to short. To make up the difference I added a o-ring in front of the module and it works perfectly. A added bonus is the o-ring should add some shock absorption if I drop the light.

D

Dimlyvisible

Where did you get the Wolf Eyes Cree drop in? Any specific make/model etc?

Also what size O ring? Was it the standard Surefire C series bezel ring or something else?

Thanks.

Neil.

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
Dimly I use the Wolf eyes D26 drop in rated for 3.7-6v. Here is where I ordered it from. http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6283 Mike at PTS is a CPF member and gives a discount to fellow members, shoot him a email and he will take care of you. I've played with pretty much all the cree drop in's and I feel the Wolf Eyes is by far the best built. The O-ring I use is from a local hardware store. I believe it is intended to fit inside a kitchen sink. I took the whole light to the store and played with different rings till I found the one I liked best. The O-ring is slightly bigger than the reflector so it doesn't affect output at all, also it is the largest diameter of that group and it fits nice and snug when put together. If you have trouble finding one I could get one and put it in the mail, I doubt it would cost that much to send it across the ocean. The best part is the O-ring cost about a quarter. The O-ring works perfectly and makes the lamp assembly fit like a glove with the F2 body. A added benefit is the O-ring fits between the reflector and glass lens which should help avoid a broken lens if you drop the light. I'll add a couple pictures incase it helps.

John

D

Dimlyvisible

Thanks for the advice.

I will give it a try.

Is Cree module the standard Wolf Eyes/Pila configuration or the Surefire version? I am assuming the latter.

Neil.