Rechargeable 123 Pack- Future Product Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, this is not a new idea. The clever CPF'ers in the battery forum have been talking about this for awhile.

The idea is to use 2x1/5A 400mA NiMH cells in series and fit them in the TSP-123 pack. This will run the green board (330mA) LS models for about 25 minutes in regulation and another 10 minutes in moon mode.

I wanted to test these awhile before posting anything. Here's what the run time looks like:

5thAruntime.jpg
(thanks to CM for collecting the data and producing this excellent graph)

The cells are a little tricky to get but we could buy a bunch and resell them from our website. We would also produce a simple adapter that allows you to charge your 1/5A cell in a standard AA charger.

The kit would include 4 cells, 2 single cell adapters and instructions. You would need an LS and 123 pack to make a complete rechargeable EDC. I suppose you could also use this with a SF
rolleyes.gif
. I am still putting together the costs.

With an extended run, the flashlight is just as hot as with a lithium cell. The NiMhs seem to handle the heat well. I did not observe any venting or popping.

I have used these for awhile and 25 minutes in normal use lasts about a week. When going out for a drive at night, I throw some extra cells in my pocket incase the cells in the flashlight go dead. It has not left me in the dark yet.

So, what do you think?

Peter Gransee

ChrisA

Enlightened
25 minutes is a bit too short for my taste... i'd rather carry the 2AA-tsp and have decent runtime, when using rechargeables. but i would spring for a 2AA- or 3AA-parallel-tsp
smile.gif

chris

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
I think it would be a good idea for people who use the LS all day, every day. Maintenance types and mechanics will be the big winners on a deal like this.

The SLS is my EDC but aside from recreational use, its main function is to be there and be ready. I've had it several months and am only on my second battery!

GD

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also checked the copia cells (all of them in fact) and one of their chargers. The smallest cell fits in my TSP-A pack. Still a bit big in my opinion and would require us to make a special pack. Of course, the 1/5As will require a special adapter, but that would cost less and more importantly, the 123 pack has a smaller form factor.

Peter

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Peter,

Also remember that the fully charged Copia cells are too high of voltage for a LS with a boost converter. Would be fine with an LS3.

Ron

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have a good idea Mr.G.
1/5A NimH-for casual use
Li>CR123-for serious use (carried as spare batt)

(above NimH ref.means 2 cells)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lowest capacity rechargeable batteries I'm willing to use are the 0.750 mAh NiMHs I run in serial in my pair of DB4AAA's driving a 4.2V 0.70 A DB6AA bulb. These batteries need to be topped up every couple of weeks to assure useful run-time.

I won't buy a SF B65 battery because it's capacity is also down in that 700 mA territory with a 1.1 A P60 lamp that draws 43% more current than the DB6AA configuration.

I'm happy to run my ARC LS with a pair of 1800 mAh AA NiMHs when I don't feel like using a 123. I'll also be happy to load Doug Speck's UBH with a pair of 2700 mAh A NiMH's to drive the power hungry ARC 500 mA Hybrids for 50% longer than the AA's can.

dark star

Enlightened
I'm in, as long as the cost isn't excessive. I always use rechargable AA anyway, too poor for 123s.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was just wondering what you thought. I will be testing it for a while longer and will make a decision at a later time.

Here's a pic.

5thA.jpg

Peter

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just retested my SLS2 with thess (1/5A) batteries and it runs 30 minutes before moon mode, pretty much what the graph shows.

These batteries are a great idea for around the house where extra batteries are always on hand. That way your not burning expensive lithiums all the time.
icon14.gif

The odd part is that my LS1 rev2 had better battery life. It would run just short of 45 minutes in that light. It also ran longer on 123 lithiums too, I must have a really efficient one!

lwsii

Newly Enlightened
I think it would work great for my use. I use one of my LS as an EDC & replace the CR123 every 2 to 5 days usually. So with 4 batteries (the way I understand it), I can use 2 and charge 2 & always have a hot set. & maybe save enough to buy another ARC to stash somewhere else (briefcase, truck, ?,etc)

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I would like to have rechargeable option, but 25-30 mins of time is not enough to justify the cost to me. I would be afraid that I would be the one stuck with dead batteries when I needed it most.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
I think this is a great idea for people who use their light all the time. In fact I got some small NiMH cells and made a doubble ended battery pack. The Nimh cells go in one end and a regular Li 123 in the other end. I use the NiMH for everyday use, and have a fresh Li 123 for backup. And I charge them in a standard charger with an adaptor. If you want I can tell you where to get a very nice holder for carrying an extra set of cells.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Speaking as someone who only this evening whipped the 2 lithiums from my X5T to keep as spares for my new fave light, I think it's a brilliant idea. Go for it!!!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy it.

I don't find runtime such an issue if I've got recargeables. I would much prefer to have those teeny, droppable batteries shrinkwrapped together, though!

BTW, just some thoughts: ThePowerStream web site indicates that they'd make 'em as one unit for you and a custom quick charger. I've never ordered from them, but I'd certainly join an experimental run (group-buy or such).

Maybe another member knows about them, or the folks at TigerLight since they're just up the road from them.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by binky:
I'd buy it.

I don't find runtime such an issue if I've got recargeables. I would much prefer to have those teeny, droppable batteries shrinkwrapped together, though!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That wouldn't work for 2 reasons:

1. They must be seperate to charge them ( 1.2v apiece, just like NiMH AA cells)
2. They are already the exact diameter of a 123, adding anything would probably make the cells too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.