Which dx/kaidomain light?

7ender

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
After spending about half a year with a Fenix l1p, I have found having a flashlight a necessity : ). Now I am looking for something a bit larger/brighter, mainly for camping. I've been looking around quite a bit lately, and decided to get something from either kai or dx as I'm on a very tight budget.

The light that caught my attention is the U2 "style" light. I read the thread on it and it sounds like what I am looking for. However, I'm a bit curious about lux readings displayed on kai's website. I know most of you find them not very meaningful and I know they are affected alot by hotspot size and such, but I was just wondering how a light like this:

https://www.kaidomain.com//WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1775

has a much higher lumen output (142 vs. 115) than the U2 found here:

https://www.kaidomain.com//WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1269

Is it actually brighter? If so, what is the advantage of the U2 since it is so much larger? I will assume it has more throw...but I dont' know. Please be easy on me, i'm still new at this : ).

If you have any other recommendation from either kaidomain or dx(for cost reasons ; )), let me know. I am trying to find a bright light with decent battery life. Battery type does not matter to me, as I don't have any existing rechargeables and will be buying them all from scratch.

Thanks guys! If I left anything out let me know

Norm

Retired Administrator
I don't have the first light to compare with but I think you'll find the U2 style light nice and bright, with longer runtime because of the 18650 battery. I'm happy with the one I have.
Norm

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the U-2 Style one from DX - about $24 with shipping. Great and super bright light. Easy to replace the resistor in it too if you want a lower low.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
The second link, the one Kai calls PAREES, is IMO the best bang for the buck of all the lights those sites offer that run on 18650 cells. It fits in a ripoffs CO-30 holster. A little bigger than the lights the holster was intended for, but it fits.
You also will need:

https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2075

and:

https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1251

I got mine from LightHound. Pretty nice charger.

I think those cells will run that light on low for a loooong time if you need them to last a weekend. HTH. Have fun!

Ken

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the DX version too. It's amazingly bright on high, and good on low. You may find a smaller single cell AA or 123a light actually more useful. When I go camping I hardly ever need the high power stuff- except to impress the company. A good led lamp, headlamp, and 1 cell Led with a neck strap does it all.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Both sources have interesting lights, but if weight and runtime are important, eg: backpacking, save your money and buy a p1dce from fenix. Great runtime, reliable and bright!

7ender

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I think iv'e settled on the U2 for now. I didn't realize the ones from dx and kai were different though, I just read the reviews on lightreviews.info.

Seems like a toss up between battery life and brightness...any preferences? I'm not really sure which one to get.

I'm also thinking of getting a c2 as iv'e read alot of good stuff about it as well. Man this light stuff is addicting!

KnOeFz

Enlightened
I went for the brighter DX u2-style myself... It gives you a VERY bright light, and if you want the battery to last just switch to low mode tht is still bright enough for many things while camping. Also it's built very solid.

cy

Flashaholic
none for me..... thank you, too many folks not happy to check it out.