HELP!!! My FENIX P3D CE is sick!

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Alright... I opened my new P3D CE and P2D CE torches by Fenix tonight only to discover after about 5-10 minutes of first-time use out of my P3D CE doesn't work like it did normally to begin with.

What I mean is, when I turn it on now in Turbo mode, it does a flicker and shines at about half brightness of the lowest mode. When I try to turn the bezel to normal mode, it just turns off like a Mini-Mag.

No matter what I try, it won't operate "normally" like it did in the those first few minutes which was perfect. I tried wiping the contacts down and cleaning it out a little. I also tried a different set of batteries (which were brand new to start with).

My P2D CE is working flawlessly, but my P3D is not cooperating... please help.

Sincerely,
Ryan

P.S. I'm posting this in LED forum too, as I need an operable P3D CE before the 9th.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ryan. I also had a similar issue with my new P3D. I ended up cleaning the contacts several times. I found that it was the contacts in the tail cap that were the issue. I used a q-tip with some electrical contact cleaner. that cured 90% of the problem. I then cleaned the contact in the bottom of the head after removing it. There have been absolutely no issues since then. It's one of the best lights I have.

p.s. also check to make sure the contact plate is not loose in the tail cap. there are two tiny notches that are used in tightening/removal of it. I took a large paper clip and folded it so the ends line up with the notches. Just a half turn tightened it up (not too tight!) Good luck with your new light.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I've tried two different sets of batteries, both Duracell. I've cleaned the head's contacts, but not the tail-cap's yet - I'll try it. Last night, the light would come on again in Turbo mode and be about 1/4 as bright as "low" mode in Normal. That's all I can get out of it.

I don't know what else to do. It's tight, it's brand new so the O-ring shouldn't be an issue, and none of it should be lose. If it is, I have no idea how to fix it, and I don't want to void the warranty by doing so.

Thanks, for the replies, any other advice would be great...
-Ryan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the P3D have protection against the batteries going in backwards? I read a post by someone who put the batteries in backwards in another light and after putting them back in the right way he only got a very weak light out of the emitter.

Fenix-Finatik

Newly Enlightened
As fieldops mentioned, check the plate for looseness in the tailcap....
I ran into similar issues w/ my P3D and all was attributed to the plate being loose.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
As fieldops mentioned, check the plate for looseness in the tailcap....
I ran into similar issues w/ my P3D and all was attributed to the plate being loose.

I had the same problem with my L2D, tightened the retaining ring in the tail cap
and it worked fine