Where can I get a LumaPro 4V026-A?

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I had gotten a LumaPro 4V026-A for my father and I was amazed at its brightness. It would light up a tree down the street! A few days ago, he lost it! :eek:

I was trying to search for places that sold it and couldn't find any, but I found these forums in the search so I thought I was ask here. I know that Geeks had it because that's where I had originally bought it. An incredible price, the whole kit less than 30 bucks with an extra battery. They've been sold out of them for a long time now. I believe these may be aka Grainger.

I'm hoping someone will know where I can get one, all I need now is just the flashlight itself, or, an alternative (rechargeable with extra cell and AC/Car adapter) that is as bright or brighter that's around the same price.

Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Where did you buy it and what did it look like?

Did it look like a tube flashlight or a lantern?

If possible, can you post a picture. That would help finding a replacement.

Welcome to CPF! Read around, there is much information to be found here.

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
Strange, I never got any notifications that anyone replied to this!

I mentioned in my first post I got it from Geeks. :) It's a conventional design, "5D cell" type, but they are not really 5 FULL size D's. I think you can substitute 3 regular D's in it. It comes in a big padded box with the charger and car adapter.

I don't know what's going on, but days ago when I searched for one I found numerous webpages on it (all sold out), and now all those pages are gone! (That's google for you). So I can't give any links to some images. In fact, I lucked out and ended up finding one at Ebay ($51 total cost), I bought it there, and THAT page has also disappeared! I can't even find it under my Ebay items purchased, no record of it! This is strange. :faint:

Ah, good ol' Yahoo:
http://www.geeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=4V026&Pic=4V026-box.jpg

Features/Specifications:
  • LumaPro 3D Rechargeable FlashLight System
  • General Features:
  • Black design
  • 30,000 candle power
  • Anodized aluminum construction
  • Adjustable spot to flood beam
  • Tempered glass lens (WRONG)
  • Nickel Cadmium battery provides power up to 3 hours
  • Charging and Full Charge LEDs
  • Bracket holds flashlight securely
  • Rubber sleeves on head and barrel
  • Water resistant
  • Shock resistant
  • Flashlight Dimensions:
  • 12.75 x 2.5 x 2-inches (H x W x D, approximate)
  • Retail Package Includes:
  • 3D Flashlight
  • Rechargeable NiCd battery stick
  • Assembly/operation manual
  • Charger with flashlight bracket
  • Mounting bracket for wall/auto
  • AC adapter (120V AC 60Hz, 11w: 12 V DC 500mA)
  • 12-volt DC adapter with cigarette lighter plug
  • Notes:
  • Model: 4V026-A
I'm still looking for another one though, or something even brighter/better if you have any suggestions. This one I just got has a defective reflector. Very odd, it looks totally pristine when the light is OFF and even with bright lights shining on it, but when you turn the light on, there's some kind of "strange darker pattern" on part of the reflector which no doubt is compromising the beam.
Thanks.
-Clint

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Something brighter or better...

I don't know if the 30000cd rating is actual testing or not.
I don't know too much about incandescents so I will recommend some Cree LED lights. In case you haven't read yet, Cree XR-E and Seoul P4 LEDs are the newest generation of LEDs with up to 240 lumens at 1 amp. Double the efficiency of Luxeons and comparable to many common. The best throwing LED under $50 that I know off is this one at Dealextreme($35, runs on 3 CR123s or 2 Rechargeable 3.7V 18650 Lithium ion batteries), but it uses energy inefficiently. Another good one is this one($22.35, runs on 2 CR123s or 1 18650 battery,review). This one is a pretty good Incan($32.38, runs on 2 18650 batteries, recommended to let the battery rest before putting them in the light, or the bulb might blow, review). None of the above lights have adjustable focus but they are probably smaller then the Lumapro. 18650 batteries and charger.

The reflector, maybe the angle of the light has something to do with it. At one angle it seems perfect , at another light shines through.

Last edited:

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
30,000cp does seem like a lot, isn't that over 3,771,000 lumens? That can't be right. Like I said, it's a monster, but it can't be that much of a monster! It uses a halogen bulb. (I see another site that says you cannot convert CP to lumens!) I don't understand that. I know what they each measure, but you have to have a way to compare flashlights when one site only gives lumens or lux and another site for another FL will only give CP.

Is there some site with an online conversion that sort of converts lux/lumens/CP?

I have some LED flashlights but haven't been too impressed by them, although none of them are very large. The LED's are blinding to look at them and you'd think they'd be bright, but they just don't throw much of a beam at any distance.

Are these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1283
replacement batteries for the LumaPro?

Thanks for the info. What's the best site out there that gives reviews of flashlights?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Flashlightreviews and the LED museum have many reviews of flashlights. The 18650 batteries and other Lithium ion rechargeable batteries are named this way. The first two numbers is the diameter in mm, the third and forth number is the length in mm and the last number is the shape.So a 18650 is 18mm in diameter, 65mm long and cylindrical shape. Not a direct replacement. Lithium ion rechargeable are usually 3.7v(2.7 when discharged and 4.2 when fully charged) and most NiMH and NiCd batteries are 1.2v. big difference. The 18650 battery is not a direct replacement.

If my calculations are correct, then 2.366 CP is about 1 Lux. Which means the Lumapro (sounds a lot like Lumapower, but two very different companies) should have about 11300 Lux of throw.

CP and Lux are measurements of throw. It is only at a certain point, Flaslightreviews explains it well. The 30000 CP figure is either calculated, based on perfect reflectivity of the reflector and a perfect transparent window, neither one exists, about 65% of the total output is loss trough the reflector and window. Or it can be actually measured. the distance where it is measured is not specified so the rating could be at the window or at any distance(flashlightreviews and the LED museum measure throw at 1 m).

The most common LEDs are the 5mm kind. They don't throw well and are usually drive between 20milliamp to 40milliamp, the ones in the lights I linked to are driven between 700-1000 milliamp, uses high powered Cree LEDs and produce a flood like an incandescent and with the right reflector will throw far.

Example, 100 5mm LED, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shi Tiao 100 LED,[/FONT](850lux) vs 1 Luxeon(3000Lux), Streamlight Propoly Luxeon(half the efficiency of Cree XR-E and Seoul P4 LEDs, if modded with a Seoul, there should be at least a 50 % increase in throw) remember both use 4 AA batteries and the Streamlight runs longer then the 100LED light.

The $22.35, Ultrafire C2 one throws about 6000 lux which should be about 14200 CP, the $35 one should be about 49210 CP if their 18500 Lux rating is correct. I'd say buy the Ultrafire C2 with a charger and a battery just to see what the new Cree LEDs can do, If you have been disappointed by 5mm LEDs then the C2 should change your views, and the whole kit is about $35 together. Dealextreme shipping usually takes 2 weeks to a month.

Last edited:

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
Gunner, thanks a bunch for all the info. ;) I'll read over all that and check into it.

At a few different websites is where I saw 1cp = 12.566 lumens.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If it is one Candela(wikipedia link) overall (as in in a sphere of even light) then it is 12.566 lumens. The Cp rating can only be changed in to lumens if it Cp overall(I have yet to see a light with CP over all rating). 30000 Cp overall is about 376980 Lumens. 1,000,000 CP could technically come from a 1 lumen source if it is focused enough(think laser). Some companies rate bulb lumens, which is always lower then the out the front lumens since light is loss in the reflector and window. Light loss can be from 50% to 1% depending on the quality of the reflector and window(or lens, but it is not curved that is why I'm calling it a window).

The Magcharger battery pack might work in your Lumapro light.
  • Length = 7.23 inches
  • Diameter = 1.31 inches
  • Volts 6.0 Capacity
  • 1 hour rate=2.2 Ampere Hour
Here is a video showing the difference of the new Cree lights, Fenix(all Ce Cree versions) VS Surefire & Maglite(Surefire and the mag still have tougher bodies IMO).

Last edited:

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
If it is one Candela(wikipedia link) overall (as in in a sphere of even light) then it is 12.566 lumens. The Cp rating can only be changed in to lumens if it Cp overall(I have yet to see a light with CP over all rating). 30000 Cp overall is about 376980 Lumens.
Yeah, I must have hit an extra digit in there somewhere! I don't know how I got 3.7m. :oops:

1,000,000 CP could technically come from a 1 lumen source if it is focused enough(think laser).
Now that makes a lot of sense and a great way of explaining it.

Thanks again for all the info.

Monolith

Enlightened
I have a LumaPro kit with a brighter bulb. If you're still considering getting another one, drop me an email.

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
I have a LumaPro kit with a brighter bulb. If you're still considering getting another one, drop me an email.

Hello, what kind of "kit" is this and how much? It must really be awesome if it's brighter than this LumaPro which takes a HPR36 bulb, halogen.

Monolith

Enlightened
Hello, what kind of "kit" is this and how much? It must really be awesome if it's brighter than this LumaPro which takes a HPR36 bulb, halogen.

It's the original kit. Wall charger, two battery packs etc. The bulbs were purchased from an English supplier. The trick is to slightly overdrive the bulbs for more lumens. It's been a while since I've looked at it. I have the original box, foam packing etc. I'll try to take a look at it again tonight if you're interested.

Clint D.

Newly Enlightened
Yes please, thank you. How do you "overdrive" the bulb?

BTW, The original kit only came with one battery. I got an extra one with my first order about a year ago since Geeks had a special deal with an additional battery. The latest one I got I was only able to get one battery, but I still have two total.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Overdriveing a bulb means to supply more energy to the bulb then the company recommends. You get more light but the life of the bulb might be shortened and the bulb might be weaker when lit.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It is weaker structurally due to the overdriving of the bulb and more heat is produced. More heat usually means the filament of the bulb is weaker and will take less shock to break. If a bulb produces 100 lumen at normal current, then a 10% overdrive should bump the light output to 110+ lumen. But the filament is easier to break due to the extra heat created when the bulb is overdriven.

I hope that made some sense