A2 aviator or four lights?

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this flashlight world and need your help making a decision. bought an A2 and think it's pretty cool. Have read the A2 threads. but I started thinking, for the same money, I could get Fenix L2D CE, P2D, plus Streamlight ProPolymer 4AAA, an Arc AAA, and a box of 123 batteries! My uses are: checkout house at night; keep in car to light up addresses, find streets; keep on me when walking at night; car camping.Any thoughts? thanks!

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
EDIT: Welcome to CPForums! :wave:

I'm sure your familiar with the praises for the surefire A2 on the forum for awhile now, but many fail to realize that the value of the A2 lies in the applications it is used in.
To decide which light to buy depends on your preferences in a light, for many cost is the number one criteria, performance being somewhere between runtime and duration. its best to do a little research on review sites such as user Quickbeam's flashlightreviews, a site greatly valued and depended on for infos on lights, and user the_LED_museum's site also.

the A2's expensive because
1-Its a surefire
2-only regulated xenon you can find as a flashlight
3-because its regulated, the xenons bulb life is extended and the output gives you quite possibly the best color rendition compared to any other xenon light in size
but the shortcoming of the A2 is
1-not meant to be a "throw" light, as for flood, It does the job adequately compared to other flood lights...but the LEDs are far from white :ohgeez:
2-Batteries don't last too long on main beam [average 40-70 minutes, source from bawko], so If your application needs alot of light for an extended period of time, then the A2 may not suit your needs.
3-Limited versatility, as there are no "levels" on the A2, so you either have low light suitable for dark adapted eyes or a power xenon beam...with no selections in between.

the streamlight PP 4AA luxeon, sounds like an ideal option, for one thing its cheap, well built, and regulated and for another its once considered the best "throw" led light before CREEs popped in. lighting up addresses and street signs wont be an issue with this light, no only does it have good throw, but theres also enough spill light to increase its functionality.

Personally I've never used the fenix series so I can't speak for those:crazy:

If you will be using the light regularly buying cr123as may be a bit expensive, sticking with the AAs might be of a better option for you. Although it may seem bulky, if your interested in the same performance as the SLPP4AA luxeon, I would recommend the 3C version.

the arc AAA wont give you the same output as the luxeons, but it will provide ample light in dark nights and its generally to have a backup light with you at all times no matter how dependable you think your lights may be.

remember, when Murphy strikes, two is one and one is none.:D

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I'd go for the four very nice lights you mentioned!!!! Sounds like you have done your homework! Maybe include a nice lowcost incan like the Surefire G2.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 advantage is that it has better throw than any of the Fenix's and I'm pretty sure the 4AA PP as well. It will also tend to be a little more durable than any of the above except for the Arc and the SL. Having quick access to the high beam when in low beam is nice but really isn't that big of a deal.

I say get the L2D-CE for walking and camping. Its the perfect around the house light as well. Remember that it can use any everyday AA you can find. And with two rechargeable AA's, it will run at constant output (which is greater than the A2) for several hours. You simply can't beat that.

Get the Arc AAA for keychain duties. Get the SL 4AA PP for car duty (with 4 lithiums). I don't honestly see much use for the P2D unless you need it for work. Take the rest of the money and spend it on a nice battery charger and some low self discharge batteries (Eneloop/Hybrid/etc).

Empyfree

Enlightened
I think you've all been remiss so far in not repeating the CPF motto...

"If in doubt, buy both!"

But back in the real world I'd go for the versatility (and Backupability) of multiple lights. I can't reccomend the Fenix's enough, I've got a few of them now, and hardly use anything else.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

My bias for the A2 is well-known around here... so be warned! :D

I'm personally of the "pair and a spare" philosophy, if something is really important to me (as flashlights are) I make sure I have backups in case the main one fails.

I currently EDC a pair of Surefire A2s, modded with my Aviatrix circuit boards. As an in-home backup to these, I mainly rely on a Fenix P3D... I can't say much bad about it (although it's no A2!). Echoing another posting, buy both if you can afford it - the A2 is a magnificent light, but it isn't the "be-all end-all" of the flashlight world! (sorry A2s...)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Illum

Flashaholic
da whoops :oops:

I didn't see the part that you already bought an A2, I thought your deciding between it and other lights

Last edited:

ja10

Enlightened
My personal preference would be for the A2, but I lean more toward Surefire's.

This might sound really dumb, but you have to get whatever you're going to get the most enjoyment out of. Most of us buy lights for fun and not purely for utility. With that being the case, you won't be happy if you talk yourself out of the light you really want.

If you aren't sure what you will enjoy more, I would go the Fenix route and get a couple quality lights that you can have fun with.

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf... another vote for getting A2 and ARC AAA!

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
The A2 is not pretty cool, it's extremely cool! I am a huge Surefire fan and I think they are the finest "mass" produced lights money can buy. My U2 is my favorite light and I would never part with it.

However, if this or these lights are to be your first quality lights I would have to go with the four! You will have more lights to use and enjoy and after you become completely addicted to them it will be time to go the Surefire route! Everyone needs at least one Surefire....

jayhackett03

Enlightened
so your budget's about $150?

i'd say...
Surefire G2
Fenix (your choice, i'd say a 123 powered one)
Streamlight Propolymer
a good headlight such as a PT EOS

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would sell the A2 and buy a nice group of lights like you named. I wouldn't get a Luxeon light (so that takes the Streamlight out of the picture), and instead of getting the ARC AAAP (WAY OVERPRICED) I would get the Fenix EO which is very similar and quite a bit better in some regards.

If you really want a Incan light then pick up the Surefire G2. It sells for around $35 or so and is basically the same thing as the A2 in terms of output, but it isn't regulated so that is a minus.

Here are the lights I would get if I were you.

Lumapower M1 (this thing has insane throw and great output as well. It will put the A2 to shame in all aspects).
Fenix L2DCE
Fenix EO

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep your A2, you'll like it the longer you have it. Get one of the fenix lights you mentioned and between the two, you'll have what you need for all the uses you described. :thumbsup:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the same money, I could get Fenix L2D CE, P2D, plus Streamlight ProPolymer 4AAA, an Arc AAA, and a box of 123 batteries!

It's not a problem to get a new A2 on eBay for $100-$150. So you could maybe buy a L2DCE and a P2D, not more for the same money :p.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Keep the A2, cause you are going to buy another one later if you sell this one now. Save up your money and buy an Aviatrix ring for the A2 and a Fenix P2D or P3D. I have the P3D and love it. It is my EDC light until I buy the P2D.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep the A2. It's your first "real" light and it just happens to be one of the best out there. You will regret selling it - maybe not right away - but you will regret it.

Save your pennies and get a second light as a car / backup camping light when you can. The Fenix would be a nice choice, either the L2D, P2D or P3D.

I've been through what you're going through now and I made the wrong decision. That is, I sold my nice lights to get a few more not-as-nice lights. Fight the urge, keep the nice ones and carefully add to your collection as you can. When the initial flashaholic feeding frenzy subsides (assuming you're hooked like I was) you will be left standing with a nice set of lights that could last you a lifetime.

Jon

GreySave

Enlightened
I'll add another voice to the chorus suggesting that you keep the A2. When I bought mine I was at first disappointed and thought I had made a mistake. It sat in the storage case a long time unused. Then came the night we had an extended power failure. The A2 proved itself to me that night by providing long lasting low output fllod light and a high kick when needed. I think you truly have to use this light to appreciate it. It now serves as one of my EDC lights during much of the fall through spring time frame when I go to and return from work in the dark.