Ambient light for tent. LED rod?

vmardian

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a good LED rod to hang from the top of the tent for ambient light, or anything else that would also serve the same purpose? Thanks.

Delta

Enlightened
Don't know the name of it, but there is a cap/light that screws onto a Nalgene bottle turning it into a soft-light lantern of sorts. Always wanted to get one of those...

Lots of small LED lanterns nowadays.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I did with my Fenix P3D and a Walgreens toothbrush holder. I hang that from the center of the ceiling in my office and the ambient light illuminates the room nicely.

BTW...I got this idea from another forum member named HarveyRich.

dsc04044lm0.jpg

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Don't know the name of it, but there is a cap/light that screws onto a Nalgene bottle turning it into a soft-light lantern of sorts. Always wanted to get one of those...

Lots of small LED lanterns nowadays.
I have one its the Guyot designs,Firefly. Got it at ****s sporting goods.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brinkman makes a great little 1 led tent night light. Most Target stores have them with flashlight or camping section. Two in a pack for $3.00. 170 hours run time. No switch...just pull a plastic tab...This led seems weak -until it's very dark. Just leave it on all night. Works great...not to read by...just a night light.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Milkyspit makes a light out of pvc meant to run off used 123a's. The light is so efficient that a battery which cannot power the SF A2 will power the Milkyspit light for hours. Strauss has this light with a beam diffuser (clear film canister) as his night light in his room. I believe this would be perfect for lighting a tent with its multiple white and single amber levels.

...Not sure how much he's asking or even is he is currently selling them but it would be worth it to look into. The efficiency alone is a seller.

knot

Banned
I prefer to shine an area light from the outside to create ambient light - well depends where I am. A light inside the tent tends to make the occupants shadows visible. If I'm pitching a tent in my tent, I want privacy.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend a good LED rod to hang from the top of the tent for ambient light, or anything else that would also serve the same purpose? Thanks.

Interesting concept combining a tent gear loft with LED lights is the Sierra Designs Night Glow Attic: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39165950&memberId=12500226

The Coleman LED MicroPacker™ Lantern also looks very interesting: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5319-700&categoryid=1045

• Operates up to 125 hours using three AA batteries
• Two bright, long-lasting LEDs
• Reflector slides up to project light forward for path lighting
• Push-button on/off control