So which version DID I receive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Please can someone help me with arc LS I received yesterday?
Although the body is clearly not the original design, it also doesn't exactly match the design of the new body either - the criss-cross machining doesn't go as far down the upper body on mine. Were there 3 body designs, and if so, which is mine?

One thing I was a bit disapointed with - I've noticed that there's a small (dog?) hair and some dust behind the lens - is there any danger of these burning up with prolonged use? - I'm thinking about the "Caution! Hot!" warning....

At this point I'd like to point out that I love my ARC LS - it's for me the perfect EDC - I'm just a bit puzzled as to which version I actually received.

My ARC LS

fccb9958.jpg

And again....Also note the slight colour mismatch between top and bottom sections on mine.

fccb994c.jpg

Original Body

fccb994a.jpg

New Body - notice that the machining goes down almost the entire length of the upper body - much further than mine.

fccb9947.jpg

dirobesh

Enlightened
fc-fire, I've been following your recent LSH problem thread - Ive got 2 foam rings in mine - the top one has been crudely glued on to the botton one and is already loose. Perhaps we've both received dodgy ones. :-(

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine from ARC directly.
I am very happy with the beam color and shape, but the overall quality of the light is very low. There is dust under my lens, runtime sucks, missing foam ring, sloppy on the inside... You can get E1e for half the price, and the quality is much higher.

Not counting that for $150 it should be packed better, not in a plastic baggy. And no manual or warranty card. And I can't just go out to Wla-Mart and find a split ring to fit. I have to order it from somewhere. Why not make a hole just a bit bigger?

ARC fans, don't hate me for my words, but it is my first LS and I expected something better for $150.
Still love my AAAs.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Dirobesh! You have a revision 2, LS1. It has the old style double retainer. Those retainers never fit well and a new retainer that fits evenly has been offered by us for awhile. Just send a SASE, the retainer is free and can be applied in about a minute. If used with a TSP, the retainer is not required and the current build does not have them at all.

The PCB in your rev2 is green which means it is the 330mA model. This is what the latest units have as well.

The dog hair (?) and dust should not be there. This is covered under the 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

As far as these units overheating, that is not something they would be able to do on their own. You would have to put them in a fire. I say this because they have a thermal sensor that shuts down the LED before any serious damage can be done.

I hope this helps.

Peter Gransee

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gransee:
You have a revision 2, LS1.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, that is just great. I thought I was getting a latest model
rolleyes.gif

GADGETOMETRY

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I think I can answer some of your questions.

The foam ring is not glued - it's a sticker and can be replaced - some of the workers at Arc told me they had to help stick these on , and they werent as steady with their hands - they also helped with the silver solder inside......this will not cause any problems and is common.......if you dont like the foam in there the way it is you can call Arc to get a replacement.

As for the body - if it says Ls1 and caution hot on it - it is probably a Ls1 rev 2.......The will come with different color body and battery packs, different size 123 packs, with different criss cross machining........these thing are probably due to manufacturing batches......I think I saw a post that said the changed shops......also the 123 pack design has almost a doozen different designs due to the problems with the contact point inside....they have changed the inside design many times. The outside has change too...remember those packs that were too short. The older 123's had a larger diameter than than the latest version. These twist packs are the last of their inventory so you will probably be getting whats left.

I've had a few hundred of these lights and currently have about a dozen of the rev 2's left....and many of them look different.

AS for the dust in the lense....it's not a problem...it's very common....Peter just left a post on a simular question here..http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000800

Hope this helps.

Aloha

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actaully, the last picture is mine and the battery pack is not the same size as the body but it's close, and the angle of the picture helps out the illusion.

The only "problem" I see with yours is the twist pack is bigger in diameter than the head, not's not really abnormal. And the anodizing not matching, well, have you ever bought a Surefire? Rarely if ever does the anodizing match on them, especially on the new E series bezels. This is normal and not a problem.

As far as the hair, that kinda sucks but if your ever gonna carry this thing and use it you are going to scratch it up anyway, that hair is not going to make a big difference. It won't melt either.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dirobesh:
Thanks for the info Peter & GADGETOMETRY. It's good to know that I got the one I ordered. As I said at the top of the thread, I'm more than happy with it, the hair and dust is only a cosmetic blemish and doesn't adversly affect the running. Peter, would you supply the free retainer to me in Scotland if I send a SASE or is it for USA only?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You bet, we like the interesting stamps you guys put on your letters.
smile.gif

Peter

dirobesh

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Peter & GADGETOMETRY. It's good to know that I got the one I ordered. As I said at the top of the thread, I'm more than happy with it, the hair and dust is only a cosmetic blemish and doesn't adversly affect the running. Peter, would you supply the free retainer to me in Scotland if I send a SASE or is it for USA only?

Status
Not open for further replies.