Details on the 7060 (LAPD) light kit....from Pelican!

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxlover

Banned
I have been a great fan of Pelican lights since I bought my first one, the Super SabreLite, in Dec. 1987. Ever since reading McGizmo's "preview" thread and other threads pertaining to the 7060 LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department) light kit, I became very interested in this low priced "complete lighting solution." Being the curious guy (= techno-weenie!) that I am, I compiled a few technical questions and called Pelican. Today, after playing phone tag for three days, I had the pleasure of speaking to a project engineer involved with the design of the light kit. The results of the informative conversation I had will adopt a Q&A format.....

Q: I have not seen from Pelican any other LED based light with a docking station charging system. Is the 7060 Pelican's first one?
A: Yes, it is. The other lights using a docking station charging system are in the Black Knight series, which are incandescent based.

Q: Is the advertised output of 130 lumens in bulb lumens from the emitter manufacturer, or torch lumens derived from in-house measurements at Pelican?
A: The output is 130 usable lumens out the front (torch) as measured in-house.

Q: Does the 18650 Li-Ion cell used in the supplied battery pack have the same dimensions as the ones we are commonly using in our other lights?
A: Yes it does. It is a commonly available 18650 cell. However, for proper alignment within the body's battery compartment, so as to maintain proper polarity, it is enclosed in a proprietary sleeve and case and is indexed to align with the charging port.

Q: Does the Cree emitter being used exhibit any "ringiness" in it's beam pattern?
A: Yes it does. As a result of the LAPD's request for a light with a high level of light collimation for maximum throw with little need for sidespill, Pelican has chosen a smooth reflector. However, they realize that an orange peel surface would be a better choice to eliminate the "ringiness." Although there is no plan to offer an orange peel reflector at this time, Pelican will most probably offer this to the consumer market at a later date. They are currently concentrating on building light kits, and both the LAPD and consumer market lights will include a smooth reflector.

Q: Is the tint of the Cree emitter, on the cool side or warm side?
A: The LAPD has requested a cooler tinted light, because their experience has taught them that lights with a cooler tint can more easily penetrate tinted glass on vehicles they have stopped. This allows the officers to more easily determine whether the occupants are concealing any weapons.

Q: Is the light submersible to any degree, not necessarily in a "deep diving" sense?
A: The light was designed specifically for LAPD police officers, was never intended for diving, and will take on water if it is submerged to a depth of one meter or more. However, it is "water resistant" and will not flood when used during a downpour of rain or dropped in a puddle of water.

Q: When will these lights be available to the consumer market?
A: Mid July. This is because Pelican is manufacturing 10,000 light kits for the LAPD, and will be manufacturing another 20,000 to 30,000 for the consumer market.

Q: Since the rated runtime is 90 minutes, for how many of those minutes will the 130 lumen output be maintained?
A: For all of the 90 minutes. A regulation circuit was designed to allow all of the battery's power to be maintained at the rated 130 lumen level. There is no minimal, usable or any other output level on this light. To notify the user that a cell is dangerously low in power, a pattern of blinking light will appear at the point of battery depletion to prevent irreparable damage to the cell.

Q: How is the front end of the light, such as reflector, emitter and regulation circuit, assembled?
A: All three parts are housed as a modular unit inside the metal finned heatsink section beneath the head. Replacement of any of those parts requires sending the light back to the factory for an entire heatsink section replacement.

All the answers lead me to believe that this light will be well received by CPF members. Add the encouraging outcome of my conversation above to McGizmo's "preview" thread, especially his measurement of 10,870 lux at one meter, and this light promises to be a versatile light with killer throw and a much appreciated "free lumens" type of maintenance.

OceanView

Enlightened
luxlover, thanks for taking the time to document all this and sharing it with the rest of us. I'm glad that you were able to speak with someone at Pelican who wasn't in Marketing and knew what they were talking about.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Luxlover --

Excellent job !

:twothumbs

I, too, have had respect for Pelican since purchasing
my SuperSaberLight 10 years ago.

Couldn't BELIEVE that something SMALLER than my
3-D cell MagLite could be so much BRIGHTER ! :grin2:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbsWow, nice interview! Thanks for the info. Now I still have to decide whether I should buy the Pelican light, a Lumapower MRV or just do the loyal CPFer thing and buy both.

luxlover

Banned
luxlover, Thanks for taking the time to document all this, and sharing it with the rest of us. I'm glad that you were able to speak with someone at Pelican who wasn't in marketing, and that they knew what they were talking about.
Thank you for your comment. When I first heard of this light, I was compelled to call a knowing person at Pelican, just as I did when the SabreLight LED, the M6 LED and the M6 3W HAIII (2390) lights were released. For these lights, I also conducted Q&A sessions with the engineers in question. I think that if one can get that "deeply" inside a company's head, much good can come out of it especially when one respects the proprietary issues involved with the product and keeps one's mouth shut! :ohgeez: I never consult with any marketing entity if I want "facts."

Jeff

luxlover

Banned
Luxlover --

Excellent job !

:twothumbs

I, too, have had respect for Pelican since purchasing
my Super SaberLite 10 years ago.

Couldn't BELIEVE that something SMALLER than my
3-D cell MagLite could be so much BRIGHTER ! :grin2:
FlashCrazy, PhantomPhoton, and Burgess.
I thank you for your encouragement. I suggest that none of us ever consider Pelican lights to be "lighting toys" just because most are made of Xenoy plastic. We must have an open mind with all of their lights, and not judge them prematurely. Pelican has been around a long time for some very good reasons!

Jeff

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
Ok, are we ready for a group buy yet??
If the word from the engineer about a Mid-July release date is accurate, we won't have to get into the complexity of starting a group buy! There should be plenty to go around. Are you aware that Pelican has it's own plastic injection molding department?

Jeff

Heck

Enlightened
I've always liked Pelican products and use quite a few of their stuff from cases to lights.

What i'm wondering is with all this R&D on the 7060, if it will trickle down to the other lights Pelican has, that would be neat.

luxlover

Banned
I've always liked Pelican products and use quite a few of their stuff from cases to lights.

What i'm wondering is with all this R&D on the 7060, if it will trickle down to the other lights Pelican has, that would be neat.
It looks like Pelican is generating more plastic based lights, and most of their new lights have photoluminescent bezels that glow when exposed to very little light. The material creating this phenomenon is somehow embedded in the plastic.

It sure would be nice if the emphasis on the electronics end of the 7060, were to trickle down to the other Cree based lights they develop. I know of no other production company that designs the regulation circuit to maintain the maximum output until the cell is too depleted to drive that level. Admirable tactic!

Jeff

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
BUMP!
Why stop this thread so soon? This light is different from the other LED based production lights we have seen. Why did Pelican wait so long to design an LED version of their famous "Black Knight" collection?

Jeff

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUMP!
Why stop this thread so soon? This light is different from the other LED based production lights we have seen. Why did Pelican wait so long to design an LED version of their famous "Black Knight" collection?

Jeff

Perhaps because the Black Knight series is 'just fine' for its target market. You know, maybe the firefighters/EMS/police still think their incan Black Knight lights are state of the art. But I'm sure most of their minds will change when they see a 7060 in action.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a 7060 on preorder.

luxlover

Banned
Luxlover, thanks for posting the Q and A. Great post!
Thank you Art. I very much enjoyed the adventure. This "project" of mine has taught me a valuable lesson. In the future, when it is possible for me to pick the brain of anybody in a company involved in the production of a great light, I will pursue generating a list of questions, hoping to get answers which I will share with all of you flashlight aficionados.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.