looking for a flood flashlight

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
hi:wave:

i am looking for a flashlight with a wide beam and lotsa flood, something that dont necessarily have a big throw but more flood. I would like something with the characteristics of the Streamlight 3C LED PROPOLYMER (10 leds) with great runtime and around 80 lumens of light(that could run with nimh or nicd) but maybe this flashlight is a bit outdated(?), anyone here could recomend me some great flood flashlight?

Last edited:

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
My 2 best production floods by far are the Lumapower M1 with the SSC-P4 Seoul module and, as a pocket light, the Amilite T5.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best "floodsters" would be the Surefire L4, L2, and Milkyspits M273 & M375.
Milkyspit can build the M273 & m375 In a Maglite body which can use Rechargeable AA's.

carrot

Flashaholic
The most floody light I own is the CR2 Ion. There is very little hotspot and a very wide distribution of flood. It has no problem lighting up an entire room, and it is small enough to wear around your neck without getting in the way. The newer CR2 Ions using Cree XR-E as opposed to the older Cree LEDs are not the same beam characteristic, I am told. The model I have will run a great many hours on low and about 1.25 hours on high. A great light that is not for everyone... some people cannot stand the lack of a hotspot but I appreciate its difference.

There is the Inova X5, which is also all flood and a great light. It is very solid and I believe it to be among the most reliable of all my lights. It has some incredible runtime. Also for consideration amongst floody 5mm lights are the Peak Kilimanjaro and the Eternalight series. I am under the assumption that the Photon Proton is also very floody with good runtime.

I would also say that the L2 and L4 are worth looking into, but they are brighter, don't run as long, and have a distinguishable hotspot, albeit wider than most. My McLuxIII PD-S is also similar in beam characteristics to the L2/L4.

scottaw

Enlightened
For flood around 80 lumens, i'd just go for a 2-3D mag, dropin led module, and a UCL lens with their light diffusing film, great throw, long runtime, cheap.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a "Little Friend" from Elektro Lumens

click here

with the "flood" optic it has great flood. There are reviews posted, I believe (was also made with Cree LED's);

I really like the original CR2 Ion for small light flood and the Surefire L4 with a 2 stage switch is great, too, McGizmo HD45 5W is an exceptional flood!

62507697-M.jpg

123584855-M.jpg

Surefire M6, McGizmo HD 45 5W, TigerLight, Surefire L4 w/2stage, HDS EDC

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What is you price range and what do you need it for?

I would say the Amilite T5($80)
Surefire L2($175)
Surefire L4($165)
Nowhere near the lumens but the Inova X5($30) is a great companion.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the answers , yes i sould have been more specific but yes this is my first "looking for" thread.:oops:

_I'm looking for something that cost around 40 dollars
_that runs with AA or C or AAA (with rechargeable version too)
_LED based
_at least 150 hrs runtime
_at least 60 lumens
_flood!!

the streamlight seems what im looking for but im still not sure if it really got 80 lumens because some site says 40 lumens other 30 :confused: and i still dont know if it can run with rechargeable

For flood around 80 lumens, i'd just go for a 2-3D mag, dropin led module, and a UCL lens with their light diffusing film, great throw, long runtime, cheap.
how much is runtime on a 2D mag? where can the UCLlens and the diffusing film be bought?
thank you

carrot

Flashaholic
Sorry, there is nothing even close. Dual output lights get closer to your ideal but those that really are close are quite expensive.

The CR2 Ion with its dual light outputs offers about 60lm for an hour and a half and something less for 140 hours (which I've never tested) but it runs on CR2 batteries and costs $150 or so. It is the floodiest light I know of and is probably your best be if you really want to have most of your specs. Another light that comes to mind that is similarly (but more so) out of your price range is the McLux PD-S, which runs for over 3 hours (it ran almost all night during a 6.5 hour shift for me) at about 60 lumens and runs excessively long on low (I'd estimate at least a hundred hours).

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/photonsintl_cr2ion.htm

Another light which is worth looking at, again, is the Inova X5, which is within your budget but again, does not use regular cells. It uses CR123 cells but runs for six hours at maybe 20-30 lumens? It is a very solid light and again, very reliable.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm

Something that meets all your criteria except for output would be the Streamlight Propolymer LED -- runs for a long time and is relatively inexpensive, but is not quite 60 lumens. I'd say maybe 25 lumens? Still, since you are not yet as experienced with lights and relative lumen outputs, you may find that it is indeed bright enough for what you are looking for.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_4aaled.htm

Last edited:

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
yes thank you, i think i might go for one of the SL ones , the 3C or 4AA, the strange thing is that on SL site it says 80 lumens for the 3C and 67 lumens for the 4AA :confused: do you know if the 3C can work with NIMH?
thank you

carrot

Flashaholic
Some of Streamlight's (and many other manufacturers) lumen ratings are a bit overexaggerated, but many of their lights are still fantastic. This is also true of Inova, which again makes incredible lights. Surefire (which underestimates their lumen outputs) and Underwater Kinetics (which appears pretty much spot-on) ratings are much closer to the truth.

DM51

Flashaholic
Forget the 150 hour runtime. Settle for less than that and carry spare cells. You are NEVER going to go more than even ONE TENTH of that time without having an opportunity to put in fresh cells. If you reduce your spec down to ~12 hour runtime, that gives you some lights to choose from.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Central Tools Flashflood which is due out next month can vary between 80lm+ OTF and 50hrs regulated run-time using a potentiometer. The beam will be that of the CentraLED. It uses 2xCR123A cells.

What may be of more interest to you though is the headlamp that they'll be releasing this fall. It uses 4xAA and will give you 140hrs on low using lithium AAs (L91). The beam of that will be the same bright, even flood.

Last edited:

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
What may be of more interest to you though is the headlamp that they'll be releasing this fall. It uses 4xAA and will give you 140hrs on low using lithium AAs (L91). The beam of that will be the same bright, even flood.
hey this sound nice, who is goin to release this?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried searching for some beamshots/info on the SL 3c 10 led, but came up with nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Latest posts