Fenix P3D or the L1D

Iguanadon

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, I just registered on this site, but I've been reading around for a little while now about different flashlights.

Well, as the title says, I'm trying to decide between the Fenix P3D and the L1D.
I like the P3D, except for the fact that it uses expensive CR123 batteries; they aren't that expensive (probably around buying a new set of alkaline batteries from a brick and mortar shop), but there is also the fact that they can vent/explode which scares me. I would like to get rechargeable RCR123s after a month or two, but those seem even more dangerous than standard CR123s.

The L1D was originally my first pick (before I saw that the P3D had 160 lumens :D) since it uses AA batteries. I'd end up using rechargeable NiMHs in it, which would still be apparently a lot safer than CR123s.

What I'd basically like is advice on whether or not the "dangers" of the P3D's batteries are worth its advantages. I'm careful with stuff like batteries and high current electronics, but some of the threads I've seen here make you think that just putting those batteries in a flashlight will turn it into a stick of TNT. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advanced for your replies

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
High Iguanadon, welcome to CPF.:kiss:

The danger of using CR123 batteries is really limited unless you do something wrong like putting a new cell together with a dead one or things like that. In any case you can surely stay on the safe side by getting a flashlight that uses only one cell and get the hang of it.

If Fenix is your choice I suggest P2D CE. I use it as EDC and like it better that P3D CE (which I also have) because of its compact size.

But before you make your choice you can spend a few hours (days, weeks.....) reading posts around here. You will find a lot of useful info.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
suprised the p3d didnt satisfy...how does the p2d compare to l2d which is brighter if you have 1

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
dont worry about lithium primaries (standard non rechargeable lithium cells) i have used them for years and never had even the slightest bit or trouble, honestly i think they are safer to use than alkaline cells. go ahead and get the P3D you wont be sorry.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
suprised the p3d didnt satisfy...how does the p2d compare to l2d which is brighter if you have 1

For me the larger size and weight of P3D is not compensated by the slightly (in the real world) higher performance.
I don't have an L2D any longer, I kept L1D and gave away the L2 body. I would say that there is no practical difference between P2 and L2 with primaries or normal rechargeables, besides they share the same head and they are both fed at 3V. Of course L2 is twice as long.

ensile

Enlightened
guns for show, knive's for a pro.

:oops: lock stock quote's arent flashlight related.

l1d = slightly shorter, decent brightness, average runtime (compared to p3d) easiest battery hunting, l2dce tube for two batteries for 135 lumens and good runtime.

p3d = LONG run times, a tad over 4" long, max brightness if needed. difficult/more expensive batteries.

that's about it !...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Iguanodon, welcome to CPF. Check out the battery safety threads on the electronics and batteries section (it should be in the "threads of interest" sticky thread at the top of that section) - not much to worry about if you treat 123's right (as with any other battery - don't mix and match, etc.)

As far as 123's being expensive, check out the CPF Specials link in my sigline. A couple of vendors there offer good quality batteries for $1 or so a piece. Check out SilverFox's 123 battery shootout (also in the sticky I mentioned before) for an amazing review of the quality of these cells.

Leathermanwave

Newly Enlightened
I suggest the L2D-ce About 110 lumens using two AA cells wheras the P3D-ce is about 130 lumens. The numbers are from chevrofreak:D.

Optik49

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! You can go wrong with a P3D or P2D I like the P2D for EDC but if you want longer run time go with the P3D. Yes the P3D is brighter but it is not a major amount.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I like the P3D because of its runtime. I admit that the P2D might be better suited for EDC because of its size, but that's not an issue for me personally (it is to many). I agree with Greenled that you should check out the threads on 123 safety. If you only use new cells (no mixing), most will be ok. In a single cell light, its not really an issue.

Checkout Chevrofreak's runtimes on both the P3D and P2D

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165971

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/163405

The most important thing is to buy what's right for YOU. You can also live by the CPF motto......BUY BOTH! :grin2:

Iguanadon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replys so far,

I think I've ruled out out the L1D, but now I'm also looking at the L2D. I read most of the L2D vs L3D thread and came to the conclusion that the only real differences are the runtime, size and a tiny amount of brightness. However since the L2D uses 1 cr123 it seems like it would "safer" since cells don't have to be matched and there is no way for one to charge another.

I think I will go however for the L3D since I'll be using it quite a bit (I'd like to bring it to the summer camp I'm going to work at) and the added size would make holding it more comfortable. Also there is the benefit of increased runtime.

I just have a couple more questions about the light in general. Is there a low battery shutoff to prevent it from completely draining the cells? I'm just concerned that if I let someone borrow it and they don't know what the low battery flickering means they can drain the batteries to dangerous levels.
Also, how do you guys store your batteries? batterystation.com seems to have a good number of cases that would protect them, is it ok to just store them next to each other, or should i use foam in between them (the pelican 1010 deal they have looks good, but it can only fit 15 cells and the flashlight needs them in multiples of two :banghead:)

RoyJ

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replys so far,

I think I've ruled out out the L1D, but now I'm also looking at the L2D. I read most of the L2D vs L3D thread and came to the conclusion that the only real differences are the runtime, size and a tiny amount of brightness. However since the L2D uses 1 cr123 it seems like it would "safer" since cells don't have to be matched and there is no way for one to charge another.

I think I will go however for the L3D since I'll be using it quite a bit (I'd like to bring it to the summer camp I'm going to work at) and the added size would make holding it more comfortable. Also there is the benefit of increased runtime.

Think you got a little confused there. L2D is a 2xAA light, and there's no such thing as L3D (unless Fenix acts dumb one day and decides to compete with Mag 3AA). You were probably thinking P2D & P3D.

Which brings to a good point, why not L2D + nimh? Seems like the most economical way to go for almost no performance loss.

With the cree lights I honestly don't see the point of 123 lights any more.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as the title says, I'm trying to decide between the Fenix P3D and the L1D.

Please take a look at these reviews with lots of direct side-by-side comparison beamshots -

Fenix L1D-CE Comparison Review

Fenix P3Dce Comparison Review

Personally I like the L1Dce
since the head can be used on the L2D and P2D bodies (ie: using 2x AA, also 1x CR123A) and these will take the maximum (Turbo) brightness to the advertized 135 lumens.

Even using the L1Dce as-is and using a 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 (AA size) will give that 135 lumens (although all the brightness levels are about the same).

So that makes the L1Dce/L2Dce/P2Dce very versatile.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I recently bought the:

LOD CE
L1D CE body, to use with P2D CE.
P2D CE
P3D CE

I will get also a complete L2D CE as well so I can expand and make two of three flashlights at any given time. A P2D CE, L1D CE, and L2D CE setup is awesome. I LOVE the P2D CE. I had many hesitations about the 123 lithiums, but just bulk order like 10-15 and you'll have plenty on hand at only a buck a piece. They keep the weight down as well as lithiums are lighter. Also, the full 135 lumens is handy as the full lumen power of the L1D CE is kind of "disappointing" compared to the P2D CE and P3D CE. Although I imagine the L2D CE will be great, but it's really long.

If you had to go with just two (and a half), I would buy the:

P2D CE
LOD CE
and an extra L1D CE body for switching... that's perfect!

I would recommend buying the P3D CE if ONLY you need a LONG runtime. But, you can usually carry an extra 123 cell if you know you're going to need that additional runtime. Otherwise, it's a little bigger. I wouldn't buy JUST the L2D CE as it seems too large in comparison to the P2D CE; it really is amazing... and the 123 cells aren't that big of any issue (I thought the same way you did at first).

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both nice lights, I prefer the L1D as it runs from a single AA which
can be bought just about anywhere