M3 or P3D

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i dont know which one to get i like the p3d because of the variable output but i also like the m3 because it can use a momentary switch

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
if i had the money i would get the surefire m3 but i am also looking for an led i like the p3d from what i have read but i like the selector of the lumapower m3 only if the u2 was cheaper but what i get from reading here there are many lights that are just as good if not better

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Fenix P2D & P3D as well as Lumapower M3. If you really want a momentary on switch M3 is the right choice. With TurboHead ad 1 x 123 battery it shoots really far.

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
I have Fenix P2D & P3D as well as Lumapower M3. If you really want a momentary on switch M3 is the right choice. With TurboHead ad 1 x 123 battery it shoots really far.

that is what i was thinking. because i dont want to click through another mode before my light turns off

Learjet

Enlightened
that is what i was thinking. because i dont want to click through another mode before my light turns off

Eh??? That's not the way the Fenix UI works. You can turn it off with a single (full) click from any mode. Momentary presses change modes. Full clicks turn it on or off. I like the way they have designed it.

frank777

Enlightened
For me, the M3. It is more versatile, and I never have to switch through the annoying SOS mode when changing brightness levels.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i have P2D ce and P3D ce, and i love them, i would like a momentary, however they would need another method to change mode as i said in my "FENIX - Requests, Suggestions, Problems" However nobody has commented on it. What i suggested is use the head twist as in the P1D CE to select your mode and let it remember this, then you can simply use momentary etc on your chosen mode.

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i realized that after i posted my last my last post i just like monetary switches. are there any runtime for the lumapower because the thread by lumapower there are two but each one from a different type of battery i would most likely use 123a what is the runtime like on those batteries

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I fully realize that critisizing Fenix is off-limits on this Forum, because I own six of them I feel I am in a position to dare say something slightly less than positive for this once:

It is true that when I am in general mode at minimum level and want to go to high it often happens that my thumb slips and pushing the switch once more than required I end up in the SOS mode. I appreciate that the blame is totally and only on my thumb but still this occasionally happens.

And now myself and my stupid thumb are waiting for all the stones that will be thrown at us

:eek:

:sssh:

:naughty:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem like the LP M1 would be a more apples to apples comparison to the P3D. They both use 2-CR123's and the P3D-160 lumens, M1-140 lumens, M3-80 lumens(all manufacture ratings). Take a look at Flashlight Review they have all 3 of them reviewed. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

Last edited:

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
It would seem like the LP M1 would be a more apples to apples comparison to the P3D. They both use 2-CR123's and the P3D-160 lumens, M1-140 lumens, M3-80 lumens(all manufacture ratings). Take a look at Flashlight Review they have all 3 of them reviewed. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

i have looked at flashlight reviews. i am looking for something something smaller than the lumapower m1. the m3 would be a general purpose light and with the turbo head it would be great for that early morning walk to my deer stand

carrot

Flashaholic
if i had the money i would get the surefire m3 but i am also looking for an led i like the p3d from what i have read but i like the selector of the lumapower m3 only if the u2 was cheaper but what i get from reading here there are many lights that are just as good if not better

"Just as good, if not better" is very subjective. Output-wise, yes. Build quality and customer service, probably not. But if you accept the sacrifices you make in NOT buying a higher-end product then you will often find yourself quite happy with those that are cheaper. Just something to mull over.

Surefire IS in the process of updating their LED lights, but like any responsible (and respectable) company with a military contract they are taking their time with R&D to ensure the newer LEDs are utilized correctly and safely.

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i made up my mind i will get the p3d because the reviews i have read the p3d will better give me what i am wanting i will just deal with not having momentary on i really don't need it anyway thanks for helping make a decision

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Just as good, if not better" is very subjective. Output-wise, yes. Build quality and customer service, probably not. But if you accept the sacrifices you make in NOT buying a higher-end product then you will often find yourself quite happy with those that are cheaper. Just something to mull over.

Surefire IS in the process of updating their LED lights, but like any responsible (and respectable) company with a military contract they are taking their time with R&D to ensure the newer LEDs are utilized correctly and safely.

I am not sure the above about customer service it totally true. I think a Lumapower M3 is as reliable as a Surefire U2 at least. I know more U2's are sold, so we here about problems with it more, but it has not been a trouble free light for a good number of people. I have owned over 8 SF lights, and never had a problem with any of them, but they have primarely been incans.

The LP M3 has HA-III anodizing, an aluminum reflector, and comes with 2 tailcaps...something it would be nice if SF would copy. It puts out about as much light as a 6p with a p60 bulb, and can be used with 1 or 2 AA batts (lithium and nimh are also fine) as well as 123'a or rcr123a's, If Surefire had made this light, I do not believe it would be any higher quality, just more expensive. Also, I am sure if my M3 should break, MattK would have a replacement out quicker than Surefire. Just the advantages of being a smaller company that is trying really hard to grow quickly.

I do not post the above to Surefire bash. I look forward to most likely buying the new L5. But I would trust anything Lumapower makes just as much as anything Surefire makes. Thats just my opinion.