Can I make an ROP out of this?

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
IMG_011.jpg

IMG_012.jpg

It's made by Brinkmann; a Mag clone that was much cheaper than official Mag at the time I bought it (and just as well made if not better). It takes 5-D cells. I think it's about 20-25 years old and in terrific condition. The reflector is slight scratched. (I foolishly must have tried to clean it some time ago).

I've wanted to do something with it. I tried a TLE-6EX but it doesn't fit, as the diameter of the (Brinkmann) bulb post is slightly larger than a Maglite post (and the female piece of the Terralux is sized for a Mag post). At $25 for the emitter I didn't want to strip the threads to try to force it on.

The Terralux MiniStar-1 I have in it now works just fine as it's a standard PR Flange, but the output is kind of lame for the size of the light (and my MiniMag/TLE-5EX puts it to shame).

Why try to make an ROP out of it? I noticed in some threads there are issues with the plastic post in the Mags melting, and look at this:

IMG_013.jpg

IMG_014.jpg

It's (almost) entirely metal. Remove the bulb, and there's a piece of plastic in the bottom of the post isolating the positive contact:

IMG_005.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm a newb here and have only done some drop in stuff, so I don't know if I can pull this off. I replaced the plastic lens with a 50mm optical lens (the 52mm Maglite lenses don't fit) that I got from a science supply outfit (I think it's a lens for a cheap telescope... it works just fine). A huge issue is the (plastic) reflector is also slightly smaller than a Mag, so I can't use the aluminum reflectors sold by some of the CPF'ers.

Any ideas or am I wasting my time?

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you can find a glass lens try to put 6Cs nimh your 5D, and the ROP LOW bulb, I suggest the ROP LOW becouse a plastic reflector can't support ROP HIGH heat and remeber: the stock mag plastic reflector tolerate the ROP LOW heat for about 10'....:whistle:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
My local Meijer's is closing out 5D Maglites (in black) for $18.99. Some here have claimed that Mag is stopping production. If you can find it locally, you can try with what you've got, and pick up the real thing if that doesn't work.

Cydonia

Enlightened
My local Meijer's is closing out 5D Maglites (in black) for $18.99. Some here have claimed that Mag is stopping production. If you can find it locally, you can try with what you've got, and pick up the real thing if that doesn't work.

I think it is inevitable the 5 and 6D M*g will be phased out :(
I think I had better get one while I still can :mecry:

= = = = =

That brinkmann M*g clone looks well built indeed. I bet there weren't too many made either, (compared to m*g that is) so I'd think it's even more a good idea to [n]not[/b] ruin it too much. I'd try to keep it as original as possible.