P2D getting hot

kodeboswachter

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
i recently purchased a fenix P2D and i noticed that when i leave it on for a while on the highest setting it gets real hot. I was wondering if it will damage the light if i leave it on for too long?
anyone have an idea?

thx,
ko

BUZ

Enlightened
I have left mine on until the cell was drained, shouldn't hurt it a bit.

Confederate

Enlightened
The P2D is a GREAT light, as is the P3D. With that much light, you have to expect it to heat up a bit. I myself find these two flashlights to be the closest thing to a perfect light for all occasions. Last night I compared the light from the P2D to an Inova T4 in some dark back woods. I was flabbergasted by the difference. I'd always been impressed by the T4, but I was blown away by the Fenix.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an email from Fenix:

In fact, we have tested the light's working life of each mode for 180 hours
and it was ok. The LED's efficiency will not be slowed immediately if you
keep using the turbo mode. However, it may be low after using several years.
So, we suggest the users don't use turbo mode of the P3D too long so as not
to lower the efficiency of the LED.

Have a nice weekend!
Christina Wang
FenixLight Limited

nolight

Newly Enlightened
is that 180 hours straight for each mode ?

I don't even put in that much hour on my Fenix in a year LOL

ensile

Enlightened
then when/if in 5 years it's degraded, you just change the emitter. $8 or something arent they ?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tested each mode for 180 hours, i would think this meant constantly 180 hours (burn test)to see what they can handle.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are sealed, you need a large sun, a crow bar, and an ice pick to get them apart. but im not that kind of person, i would buy a new light if that ever happened. I simply have no idea how you would dismantle something like that

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
And opening this area allowes you to do what, and also does it brieche the water protection by unscrewing this?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opening it will allow you to clean behind the lens, change out the reflector, swap the emitter, etc. Unscrewing it slightly will allow you also to focus the beam from focused to flood, and reduce the dark ring around the spot if that's what you desire.

This will not hurt the water resistance--it is sealed by an o-ring just like the head to body and tail to body interfaces.