• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Kinda wanting a McLux PD......

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been thinking about getting a McLux PD ever since I got to test one out from the passaround a while back.

I absolutely loved the lights size and shape, not to mention it looks great.

But, as with many purchases, I am having trouble justifying the cost.
I would want one with a Cree or Seoul, at least 2 stage, with trit in the tail.
Plus, it seems they are only made in TI now? :confused: :wtf:
That makes NO sense to me what so ever.
I can understand making some in TI, but ALL of them?
I think this TI craze is getting WAY out of hand. :thumbsdow

Anyway,
Has anyone made one with more than 2 stages?
Are there any Aluminum ones let to be found?

I have quite a few things I would be will to trade also...

Or,,, am I missing something?
Is there a nice alternative to the PD ?
I have quite a few Fenix lights, but I like the push button option, and the form factor of the PD much better.

Thanks
~John

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya, John.. I'd love a TI light, but my budget says aluminum.. well, my wife thinks my budget says $1.00 plastic 2D lights, but what she doesn't know won't hurt anything ;)

The PD is a great light. I've not seen one with more than two stages, but I've had no trouble with my two stages. I'm not confident in my own modding abilities to swap a Seoul in there or anything, but I'd love to have one.. Trit would be cool too, but a Seoul would make me just as happy..

Sable

Enlightened
Hey!

Well, I can't let my PD go but I'll be happy to answer some of your questions...

1.) Yes, Don's lights seem to be all-Ti now. The reason being is that (If I recall), he feels the technology and market is too volatile right now, what with LEDs leapfrogging over one another, to justify plunking down for a large batch of parts. By keeping the lights in titanium, he can do small runs of desirable lights - and if something new that's just "gotta-have" comes along, he can redesign new parts instead of retrofitting old ones.

2.) There -are- some aluminum PD-S lights around, all in the hands of CPF members. You can also fairly easily retrofit a Lux3 PD with a Seoul P4 emitter, if you're handy with soldering.

3.) By default, the PD has been a two-level light, mechanically controlled via the fairly clever electrical paths inherent to the design. However, CPF member Goldserve has built some PD-sized FluPIC drivers, although I don't think these are available at the moment and were not available "stock" from Don.

4.) I really really like my PD. But for (slightly) less cash you can get a Milky-modified Surefire L1 with a Cree or Seoul emitter. I believe Peak LED Solutions also sells a few Seoul lights in the somewhat more "sane" ranges.

5.) The GatLight guys are releasing a Seoul GatLight V3...not sure if they're still taking preorders but it's the least expensive Ti light you can get at the moment.

I'm afraid I don't really have anything to sell to ya - but good luck finding what you want! :)

cnjl3

Enlightened
I love my aluminum black Mclux III PD w/trit in the tail.
Milkyspit put in a Seoul emitter for me and it is awesome.
I purchased my PD from another CPF member and even though its 'used' with its new emitter it's like a brand new light.
I just ordered an Art-of-the-hide leather holster for my PD - so mine is'nt for sale because I EDC this little baby along with a Surefire A2 (with Atomic chickens new LED ring!)
I also would love a TI light but am quite satified with my aluminum version.
If you look hard enough you should be able to find one if you really want one:)

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot for the info guys :thumbsup:

Goldserve's board looks very interesting, I will have to look into that for sure, thanks.

MossyOak, PM replied :)

~John

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one and traded it. But I was fortunate enough to pick up another one on B/S/T that has been modified with a SSC P4. I should have it later this week. I sure won't be trading this one. Good luck in finding one.

jtice

Flashaholic
hehehe thats the fun of this place also, trading things among each other when we get a bit tired of them

I should try to trade my original (but not so mint) McLux for the PD ;)

Thanks for the input guys, I shall keep looking.
~John

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally thought the same thing, about the Ti costing too much, but with the resell price of normal AL Luxeon PDs being around $300, $410 or so for a new Ti PD with a Seoul emitter starts looking much better. You've got to get in quick on a batch from Don, or find a very nice seller to get a good price, but once you do you won't regret it.

Not caring a bit when my 4 year old drops my best light on concrete is a great feeling, and well worth the price of admission.

schiesz

Roccomo

Enlightened
jtice,

Hang in there, you're looking for a great light and one will come your way. I love mine.

Fringe

Enlightened
Best light ever. Good choice, just surprised it took you this long, but if it was funds, totally understand.

Good luck.

Clickie

Newly Enlightened
I agree 100%!! I've been looking for a non Ti PD for a while myself and finally found one just a few days ago on here! Its the most I've ever paid for a light so if it gets here and I dont think it was worth it I'll contact you as Ill be trying to sell it..... I hoping I feel like the price was well warranted when I get it, we'll see!

carrot

Flashaholic
I have a proposal for you, ticey... Since you believe the Ti version is too rich for your blood buy me a Ti PD-S and I'll trade you my HA-Nat PD-S. :D

jtice

Flashaholic
Oh, yea, that sounds like a heck of a deal !

You are hereby :banned: from chat :nana:

Its not so much that I think the TI lights are overpriced or anything,
I just think people are going a bit nuts on the TI.
Its a great metal, and looks great also, but come on :p
Though, nowadays the heat transfer doesnt matter as much with the more efficient LEDs.
But I suppose if I had the money I wouldnt be saying this and have a pile of TI parts :rolleyes:

~John

Last edited: