LSH-P Arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My LSH-P arrived safely the day before yesterday. Upon opening the package, the 1st thing I noticed which pleased me was the Quality Control label that sealed the ziplock bag. It had the handwritten serial number, a date (not sure if it was the build date or the inspection date), the style of light and it was signed-off by 2-people. One of them was Peter himself, however I could not make out the other name. It was nice to see that someone is actually inspecting these things before they ship.

As far as build quality, I have nothing (that's right Peter) to complaint about. It looks good inside and out. Upon firing this sucker up, I was pleased to see a white beam. Over the last year, I've owned over a dozen ARC LS' of various types and at least as many SureFire KL-1's. I have never, ever, seen a LED with such a "white" tint/beam as this LSH-P. I will post beamshots sometime next week. People, I'm a person who tells it like it is, without holding back (Peter can attest to this). I don't kiss-butt and I'll raise havoc when I feel I'm right and have been wronged.

So far, this light is definately meeting my expectations of a $160 light. Sure, I'm still not sure if I care for the clicky tailcap, but I always have an option to put on the twist tailcap. Last night, I was concerned about my original runtime tests with the LSH, however the second test is yielding better results (see my other thread). I plan on performing the same test one more time for my own benefit. I'll share those results in the other thread. The LSH has a huge beam, nice and circular with the trademarked "square-shaped" hotspot. At first, I thought I'd be annoyed by that, however that didn't turn out to be the case.

For now, I'm giving this LSH-P very high marks, however that always subject to change. My next big test will be to test the consistantly between units. This, in my opinion, has always been one of the biggest flaws of the ARC-LS. You could never get two units that looked like or acted like they came from the same company. I will be ordering another LSH-P tonight, as I patiently wait for my already-ordered LSL-P to arrive.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I would just like to add that I visited ARC today to have Peter check out issues that turned out to be cosmetic with my LS1 Rev2. Peter pretty much spent a great deal of time with me and gave me a "tour" of the place, showed me different products and their "assembly line," along with shooting a little BS and answering some of my questions.

The first thing I can say is that there have certainly been some changes in the quality control over the past couple of months. The cosmetic flaws that I have on my LS that was manufactured just two or so months ago (lint, fibers, dust, etc.) are practically non-existant today. I watched the process and I wish it was in place for mine.

But Peter and one of his QC girls did give my LS a good going over and aside from a some dust, a minor scratch on the optic, and a piece of fiber that I thought was a defective lens, I happen to have a pretty good color LS that is also good on the efficiency scale. They pretty much tore into the cosmetic defects and said that my particlar LS would not have got out the door today with the issues it has. It doesn't do anything to the light output, and as long as the lens wasn't cracked I figure it will do fine.

Peter whipped out a LSH-P to compare to my LS1 (amongst others like a SF E1E, Innova X5T, etc.) and it was like night and day. If you have an LS1, the LSH-P is a whole 'nother animal! I almost asked if I could trade up right there, but I already burning the plastic for a pre-production case, so I didn't dare ask what the damage would be considering how much I've already spent this month on lights...

After my experience today (thanks for your time Peter!), I think you all will be very happy with the product and process changes at ARC for '03.

mst3k

Enlightened
So, this-is-Nascar, just two questions. Did it come with a battery and is the anodizing on the tailpiece as nice as the head?? Again, just curious. It is, after all, a $160 plus shipping lite.

krept

Newly Enlightened
Wow... I thought for sure this was going to be ugly. Nice, candid review.

Gun Nut, did you have to make an appointment? I'm thinking about stopping by to get an LSH when I have $ - no need to ship when I work about 30min away. Also would be very cool to see what the factory looks like.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great reviews & news. I also have an LSH-P on order.

nascar -- I'll be very interested to see comparo between LSH-P and LSL-P when you get it. I couldn't get both at once and was torn on which to get. I finally decided on the one that Peter G. said he thought he'd be discontinuing because of future availability, and I vaguely recall that being the high-dome.

Gun Nut -- I'm actually surprised to read that the LSH-P compared well to the LS1. I've been worried about brighness because I thought I read that the older regulator boards passed higher amperage by more than 1/4 more.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do i know if the lsl i ordered from dan at tactical warehouse is a "P"?

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly, you can only get a Premium directly from Arc. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by mst3k:
So, this-is-Nascar, just two questions. Did it come with a battery and is the anodizing on the tailpiece as nice as the head?? Again, just curious. It is, after all, a $160 plus shipping lite.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is going to sound strange, but I don't honestly recall whether it came with a 123-cell or not. I have so many lying all over the house, it's not out of the normal for me to always have on at arms length away. Sorry. I ordered a 2nd LSH-P and I'll make it a point to notice whether or not it comes with a cell. As far as the anodizing, it's steady throughout both ends of the unit.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Originally posted by binky:
Great reviews & news. I also have an LSH-P on order.

Gun Nut -- I'm actually surprised to read that the LSH-P compared well to the LS1. I've been worried about brighness because I thought I read that the older regulator boards passed higher amperage by more than 1/4 more.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Everything about the LSH-P was better than my LS1r2. It was a true white color, no real purple or green tints. It was almost like an incan light except more white not yellow. Distance was better, hot spot was bigger, and there was more side spill. Anodizing between the head and the tail were consistent unlike mine. Just an overall better light. Like I said, I wanted to trade up right there! I'm sure you'll be very happy when it comes.

Originally posted by krept:
Gun Nut, did you have to make an appointment? I'm thinking about stopping by to get an LSH when I have $ - no need to ship when I work about 30min away. Also would be very cool to see what the factory looks like.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would just shoot an e-mail to Peter to let him know when you were planning on coming, that is what I did. They have an office/factory, but its probably not what you'd expect. No sign on the front or anything like that, just a little place in a complex of small offices off the beaten path in Tempe.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that is correct luminocity, premiums are only available through arc due to the limited quantities of the higher grade leds. it is simpler for everyone if it is done this way.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Woo Hoo!! My LSH-P shipped today! And my Arc LS Rev1 has been found! So, not only do I no 'need' the replacement, I'll have a basis for comparison!!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
how do i know if the lsl i ordered from dan at tactical warehouse is a "P"?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Due to the rarity of the LED's used in the "P's" you can only get them direct from Arc.

mst3k

Enlightened
From: This_is_Nascar, above concering his recently acquired LSH-P
As far as the anodizing, it's steady throughout both ends of the unit
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, admittedly the new QC Peter posted about was not implemented when my LSH-P was sent, so I got no bag w/ signed QC people. I got no battery, and the tailpiece is the exact same anodizing as the original LSL Rev2 that I first had. The head on my LSH-P is gorgeous, so I have a little two-tone job. Ya know what? I'm not complaining. It's just an observation. I have, what I think, is a very unique light. I just wanted people to be aware that there is a difference in LSH-P's depending on when you ordered and when you got it. That is all! Have fun! I love my Arc's!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LSH-P:
1. Did come with a battery
2. Is the whitest beam I have ever seen
3. Is as least as bright as my greener LSH blem (though I think I got a REALLY good blem)
4. Has even, full anodizing
5. The cleanest set of optics I have seen yet on an ARC LS (farkle is still there though)

Aloha

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next batch of LS flashlights will start shipping at the end of next week. We are out of parts again.

Peter Gransee

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh! I guess I won't be getting mine until next week then, since it's still listed as being "on hold".
[edit] Recalc that. The light's not coming for 2 weeks. Bummer. And it was "in stock" when I ordered.

"Patience... Quality cannot be rushed..."

I'm finding it much easier to blow time mentally wrestling whether to order a light than to wait for a light already ordered.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.