Poor Man's Gladius

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked this item up on ebay and am VERY pleased!

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-Lumen-CREE-...8QQihZ003QQcategoryZ13863QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My description of it as a "poor man's gladius" is unfair, but it gives you a good idea what this light is like. As far as I'm concerned it is actually far better than a Gladius, and not just because of the CREE led. It is about the same size of a Gladius, and has the strobe option. No dimming option, but I found I never used that anyway. I would just use a smaller pen light if I need a dim light.

As far as I'm concerned this light outclasses a stock Gladius in every way. The cree bulb and low price are of course the key factors, but the strobe option on this light is far more intuitive. For regular constant beam, you just click once. For strobe, you just hold the button down continuously. Much easier than turning the rotating dial on a Gladius. Once again, no dimming option, but I don't care about that.

The feel of the body is very nice and grippy, and the stippled reflector is a nice touch as well.

The switch is VERY nice. I think it is actually some sort of reverse clickie, but the switch has less travel and is more crisp than a fenix, for example. I hate the reverse clickie on my P3D, but this switch is so light and crisp that I actually like it a lot.

I don't know if this light is a clone of something that has already been reviewed, as I'm rather new to the whole fancy flashlight thing.

Sorry for no beam shot pics, I need to get batteries for my camera. Plus, I've never done beamshot pics, so I'm not sure how they would turn out anyway. I guess you all will just have to take my word for it for now.:naughty:

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Just because a light has a strobe, does not a Gladius make".. :D

It looks like a real nice light for the price, and the 'press down button for strobe' is definitely a smart and quick way to get the flashies out.

The LuxIII in the original Gladius is definitely a lil' 'old-tech', but for those who have the resources to mod it, it just makes a fantastic light better. The HAIII on the gladius is very nice and tough. The big button makes it easy for gloved personnel to handle. The wide-range of light levels provide versatility. The UI is smart and mode changing is intuitive and easy to execute (for a light that has that many functions).

But for a no-fuss budget strobe light, looks like u have a winner. I'm tempted to get one just for rough use! :D

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked this item up on ebay and am VERY pleased!

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-Lumen-CREE-...8QQihZ003QQcategoryZ13863QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My description of it as a "poor man's gladius" is unfair, but it gives you a good idea what this light is like. As far as I'm concerned it is actually far better than a Gladius, and not just because of the CREE led. It is about the same size of a Gladius, and has the strobe option. No dimming option, but I found I never used that anyway. I would just use a smaller pen light if I need a dim light.

As far as I'm concerned this light outclasses a stock Gladius in every way. The cree bulb and low price are of course the key factors, but the strobe option on this light is far more intuitive. For regular constant beam, you just click once. For strobe, you just hold the button down continuously. Much easier than turning the rotating dial on a Gladius. Once again, no dimming option, but I don't care about that.

The feel of the body is very nice and grippy, and the stippled reflector is a nice touch as well.

The switch is VERY nice. I think it is actually some sort of reverse clickie, but the switch has less travel and is more crisp than a fenix, for example. I hate the reverse clickie on my P3D, but this switch is so light and crisp that I actually like it a lot.

I don't know if this light is a clone of something that has already been reviewed, as I'm rather new to the whole fancy flashlight thing.

Sorry for no beam shot pics, I need to get batteries for my camera. Plus, I've never done beamshot pics, so I'm not sure how they would turn out anyway. I guess you all will just have to take my word for it for now.:naughty:
April 1st was over two months ago.

Instead of justifying your post by writing a long, detailed response, I'll let this small selection of smilies suffice:

:shakehead :rolleyes: :ironic: :ohgeez: :thumbsdow :sick2: :banghead: :tsk: :hairpull:

Optik49

Enlightened
Looks good to me. It kinda looks like a SF 6P. I would love to see a beam shot especially next to a P3D or P2D. We definitely need to make this happen! I cant wait.

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
April 1st was over two months ago.

Instead of justifying your post by writing a long, detailed response, I'll let this small selection of smilies suffice:

:shakehead :rolleyes: :ironic: :ohgeez: :thumbsdow :sick2: :banghead: :tsk: :hairpull:

Ummm, I don't know what you are talking about....:thinking:

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I get it now, April Fools Day.

Seriously though, I really like this light. No joke here. I tried to find some reviews on this site before buying it, and I wasn't able to find any so I just took a chance and decided to give it a try.

I'm very happy with it. If you don't mind the lack of a dimming option, and you don't feel like going through the hassle of getting a Gladius modded, this a great light. For the price of one Gladius, even at low ebay prices, you could get two or three of these. I'd much rather have one of these and two spares than one Gladius, modded or not.

I really can't say how impressed I am by this light. No joke folks!:thumbsup: