Flashlight gift amusement...

Daekar

Enlightened
I find that since I've gotten here, I've ended up giving quite a few flashlights as gifts and I just ordered two more (a Fenix L2D-CE and another PT Apex). It seems that people see my lights (especially the SSC-modded Apex) and decide that they want one. Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? :popcorn:

Glen C

Enlightened
Daekar, I get this a lot, only difference is my relatives all get given Wolf Eyes, funnily enough ;)

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I have gave a couple lights to my brother and will give my Dad a light for Fathers Day! He is 81 and is just amazed at how small and bright some of my torches are! I will probably give him a 1-AA light that is simple with no UI. On-off with easy to find batteries.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, family and friends have been impressed by small, bright quality lights.

I have given a number of Mini Mags, SL Key-Mates and others. While they are appreciated, I find they end up in desk drawers and elsewhere. The real goal is to get people to EDC a flashlight. This seems almost impossible.

Mark

Illum

Flashaholic
Yes...until they find out what it costs....:grin2:

then they would ask to "borrow" it without ever telling me when they'll give it back:green:

The real goal is to get people to EDC a flashlight. This seems almost impossible.

I've magaged to allievate the trouble by installing photons on their keys...I figured at $1 a piece via lighthound, why not?:naughty:

Daekar

Enlightened
That's sneaky :D But I like it!

+1 to that! Heh heh.

For some people I don't have a problem buying them lights, because I know they'll use them. My girlfriend's dad, for instance, thinks my Apex is the coolest thing since sliced bread, especially since he got to use it planting some strawberries the other evening. This man works all the time, often until after dark, and he loves headlamps because they actually allow him to use his hands. Will I be getting him the Apex Pro? Heck no - I expect him to use alkies, or some cheap NiMH at best. It's funny though - I could buy my girlfriend all manner of lights, small, big, whatever - and she wouldn't use them. She'd be the person with 10 lights at home and no lights with her, even though there are some small enough to carry. Oh well, as somebody already pointed out, you can't get somebody to carry something unless you put in their keys... I might just get her an Arc AAA-P and be done with it...

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party:
I find that since I've gotten here, I've ended up giving quite a few flashlights as gifts and I just ordered two more (a Fenix L2D-CE and another PT Apex). It seems that people see my lights (especially the SSC-modded Apex) and decide that they want one. Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? :popcorn:

My mom saw my SSC-P4 1AA light from DX and said, "Wow, that is really bright! My little flashlight isn't even close to being that bright!" She carries a 1AAA Dorcy LED in her purse...I believe she has a 1AA/1 CR123 Ultrafire CREE from DX on the way right now. :D

Hey! I just officially became a Flashaholic...I just noticed that this is my 100th post!:party:

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I have also noticed this, i am getting married in the not to distant future :faint: and have been thinking that i will get a light for my groomsman rather than a pewter mug etc, something that is practical and can be kept. I was actually thinking a L1D-CE? Want something that can be easily carried in a pocket if need be, but something a little bigger and brighter than the L0D-CE

I am also eyeballing some more Fenix lights for Christmas presents for some of the family, the fact that Fenix offer lights that can be used with readily available NiMH cells gives it the edge over some more expensive lights in the gift department for me.