Ultra compact plier-based multi-tool?

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Who makes the most compact "useable" plier-based compact tool? The Leatherman P4, and the Gerber Clutch come to mind ...are there any other?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Ray

Mad1

Enlightened
There is also Swiss Tech and SeberTool

I like my Leatherman P4. They will bend if you twist while gripping something but they are good for their size.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's the following:

SOG Cross Grip Mini MultiTool

SeberTech M4 SeberTool

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
...thanks.

I know SOG's are built tough, but not too familiar with SeberTech/SeberTool. Do they hold up to use well?

mahoney

Enlightened
The Leatherman Mini Tool, if you can find one. My local knife store still had some old stock last time I was in.

dig-it

Newly Enlightened
The SeberTech M4 is now the IDL Tool T10. I scored one on ebay for less than $20. You`ll be hard pressed to find one smaller than this.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
I think the p4 is great, but if you really want fully functioning pliars in a small size, search around for the LM Mini tool! I haven't bought one yet, but it's definetly on my wish list, along with a few other discontinued LMs

cy

Flashaholic
leatherman mini is the most compact, unfolds to full size plier tool ever made. drawback is weight.. it may be very compact, but weights same as a full size leatherman.

leatherman P4 is my favorite mini-plier tool. this what I would take on an extended backpacking trip.

cy

Flashaholic
P4 also in photo with buck 350 seems a crack smaller. do you know which tool is lighter? they both look good!

spoonrobot; said:
The Buck Model 350, although discontinued, is another option because it has the teeniest, tinyiest pliers ever.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I carry the IDL T7 when flying and have never had TSA question it. The handles fold into working position and won't collapse accidentally. The SwissTech versions rotate into position and can unexpectedly rotate out of position resulting in banged up knuckles. For my applications, the IDL pliers are more functional.

When carrying a knife isn't an issue, I carry my Leatherman P4.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
P4 also in photo with buck 350 seems a crack smaller. do you know which tool is lighter? they both look good!

Let's see, the Bucktool is about 1/4" longer than the P4 closed but is about 1/4" thinner than the P4 (both in handle width and overall width closed). The Bucktool pliers are a hair wider at their widest point but overall are much smaller. They have a more severe distal taper, much smaller points and are shorter overall than the P4. The Bucktool is also slightly lighter than the P4. The Bucktool also does not feature cutouts for larger bolts nor does it feature wirecutters, while the P4 has both. The only reference I could find quoted the Bucktool at 1.5 ounces while the Leatherman site quoted the P4 at 2 ounces but it feels heavier than that.

Of course with these disparities one can easily tell that the P4 will be more capable than the Bucktool but the latter is still an option. I like the P4 for minimal pocket-carry while I prefer the Bucktool for keychain carry.

If you are patient both can be had for @10$ shipped on eBay.

cy

Flashaholic
already got P4 here... kinda of nice having wirecutters along.
for my purposes, a light multi tool for backpacking trips.

if both are within 1/2oz, looks like P4 is a better choice for me.

emitter

Newly Enlightened
I had the sog crossgrip because it looked cool, but it wasn't. The blade was a joke, a single side ground type, and the pliers were impotent due to having the geared hinge. The head can rotate when trying to squeeze even a moderate amount because there are no stops on the handle hinges. Oh, and the bottle opener barely works. Basically, only the tweezers are good.

The P4 is the way to go. I'd own one but my PST-ii with the blade and phillips head from the old style swapped in has been my favorite.

If anyone's looking for the P4 try smartknives.com, they have used ones reasonably priced.

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
I own full and keychain sized multitools and I think the smallest usable size is the Leatherman Juice series. The pliers and implements on the Gerber clutch/Leatherman squirt series is a compromise of utility for size. The juice is a reasonable size/shape for pocket instead of carrying on the belt. The selection of tools are better than the tiny multitools also.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who makes the most compact "useable" plier-based compact tool? The Leatherman P4, and the Gerber Clutch come to mind ...are there any other?...
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...Thanks, ~Ray

Recently picked up a Clutch and do prefer it to the LM P4.

Clutch can be had for 12 to 15 bucks online, but I got mine at Lowes for 18 bucks.

The tools on the Clutch are decent - not quite up to SAK quality, but usable for their intended functions. Knife blade is actually pretty decent.

Clutch pliers are excellent - very tight lockup, zero slop, great spring action, very precise feel. For light duty use, I'd rate them outstanding. Anything much beyond light duty, they'll probably break. Pliers are quite suitable for light electrical/electronics, soldering, etc. Wire cutter works fine for smaller gauge wire.

Am considering picking up a SOG Crossgrip also, because its compound leverage pliers are supposedly usable for somewhat more demanding tasks. We'll see.