So I p'd off some cyclists...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Specialized Tricross Sport Triple road/light trail bike. First time I've ever dropped over a grand on a bike. I bought it since I've been riding to work to save on gas and shed some lbs. My old bike, a Mongoose from Wal-Mart, just wasn't cutting it.

So I found a bike forum to get some info on my new toy and cycling in general. Well, in reading the forum, I got the impression that many cyclists, not all, but many, did it because it was 'easy'. IMHO, I feel like cycling is for people who aren't determined/tough enough to run. I know that sounds snobby. Of course, runners tend to be kind of elitist anyway. Seriously, though, why spend 3 hours on a bike for the same workout I can get in a 50 minute run?

So, I voiced this thought in a thread over there, in the nicest way I could. Of course, I imagine that's kind of like someone 'nicely' telling you that your kids are ugly and your wife's a skank. :shakehead

Me and my big mouth.

Scottiver

Enlightened
I ride a bike because it's FUN! I don't do it to get exercise although it is good exercise. I'm sure some would disagree but I don't see much fun in running.

RCatR

Enlightened
:laughing:
I was a distance runner in highschool; and I can definitely say that from the workout point of view biking is an infinitely easier exercise. On a side note, you can still bike with joint injuries, where as running requires tough joints. From the practicality point of view, biking is the most efficient way to get around, bar none(Before people start talking about solar cars think about total footprint-assembly of a bike vs assembly of a solar vehicle)

Scottiver-At around mile 8 or 9 the 'runners high' kicks in, and it's amazing

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I hear what you're saying - running is an awesome way of exercising, all while getting out and seeing the sights (never could understand running on a treadmill). Like RCatR (Hey, shouldn't you be working on my AssMag?) I'm a former distance runner as well - I did the whole marathon thing a few years back, which was a fun accomplishment. I still go for a run every once in a while too.. I ran a race last week, and found out that, without training, if I do a 5k and run a 6:30 mile pace, I should be prepared for the hurt the next day.. I'm not "old", but I'm sure not in high school anymore!

However, I'm a hard-core 365 days a year road biker - mostly commuting, but also for fun. On a bike, your knees and bone strucure don't take a beating that they take while running, which is really imporant IMHO. And, you can keep up just as active (or very close) of a workout on a bike as you can running... I can get just as tired on a 3 mile bikeride as I can on a 3 mile run - it's all about the intensity with which you pedal.

And you get to see even more sights on the bike - I can go from here (Chicago) to Milwaukee on my bike, and really see the gamut of city, to suburbs, to farm fields, to nothing, and everything in between... it's awesome.

In short, it's only a cop out if you want it to be, or if you let it... and even if it is, :shrug: that's the beauty of opinions!

john

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Cycling is easier than running in some ways, especially with respect to stress on the joints. However, "3 hours on a bike for the same workout I can get in a 50 minute run" is a bit of an exaggeration. In both cases the level of your workout depends on how hard you push yourself. Cycling is a more efficient form of transportation so if you cycle at the same speed as you run you certainly won't get the same workout. You need to increase your speed on a bike to get the same level of exertion - and no coasting(!). I think that's a mistake that many casual cyclists make. For example, an elite runner can finish a marathon in under 2:30, an elite cyclist can cover the same distance in under 50mins - and that's with the significantly higher wind resistance associated with travelling at over 40kph. The same also applies to swimming vs. cycling. The scales are different, but if you measure parameters like heart rate and calories burned they are very similar.

One of the nice things about bikes is that they allow you to go at your own pace, no matter how slow that may be, and they even allow you to coast so it's an activity that is accessible to people of varying levels of fitness. Running does allow you to do the same thing except if you slow down too much we don't call it running anymore, we call it walking.. or in extreme cases standing still :). Seriously though, it all depends on what you want out of it. If you want to get some fresh air and a little exercise you might go for a stroll or cruise around on a bike, but if you want to get a workout and improve on your personal best you have to push yourself.

I say try 'em all and pick the one that you prefer - the more you enjoy it, the more likely you'll stick with it. Or better yet, cross train and do both.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to bike a lot. Some days, I'd take a more challenging route than others. I thought it was great exercise, and during the time I was both dieting and riding (plus a little lifting), I was able to lose 30 pounds (which, since injuring my ankles, I've completely gained back and then some.) I always liked it because it was fun and I could go to far places that I'd never think of going to on foot. Frankly, it was easy, and to tell somebody that I was biking 17 - 20 miles a day sounded impressive, although, I knew it was easier than it sounded. Since screwing up my ankles and gaining so much weight, running just doesn't seem like an option for me. I used to play lots of badminton, which requires lots of running (short sprints). That's where I hurt my ankles, and like an idiot, I didn't give 'em a rest to heal, I just got high tops, and lace up braces. Eventually, one of 'em decided to not heal back up and I stopped playing. So, currently, running isn't a viable exercise option, but I can still bike! Too bad, I never do! I have taken up table tennis, though, and it's a lot of fun.

So, I agree, biking really is easy, but I think there are other reasons, besides it being easier than running, that people do it rather than running: It's faster. You get to feel a nice breeze in your face. It can take you places that running never could (I've ridden 45 miles in one day and still felt fine and capable of more--how many runners can say the same?). You get to spend money on awesome bikes and cool high powered head lights! (if that ain't a good enough reason, you're probably a lurker here!)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
IMHO, I feel like cycling is for people who aren't determined/tough enough to run. I know that sounds snobby. Of course, runners tend to be kind of elitist anyway. Seriously, though, why spend 3 hours on a bike for the same workout I can get in a 50 minute run?
Running isn't for everyone. I know if I ran enough to stay in decent shape my joints would give out, not to mention the blisters I'd be nursing all the time. On top of that, I just don't find running enjoyable. The amount of forward progress versus the effort put in is very depressing. And in warmer weather without the breeze I get while cycling I would quickly overheat. I even find cycling uncomfortable once temperatures go past the mid-50s. I do like to walk, though, and do that for several miles each day.

As for being easy, or requiring 3 hours to get the same workout as a 50 minute run, I say bollocks. Sure, I see recreational cyclists coasting alone at 8 or 10 mph, but these people are just out for a ride, not for fitness. Those who do it for fitness fly along at 20 to 25 mph. That's easily as good a workout per unit time as running at 12 or 13 mph (these are what I call running speeds, the typical 6 to 8 mph pace of most runners is really jogging, not running).

Then there are the intangibles. Sure I cover a lot more ground than a runner can. That's part of the appeal for me. I can see more of the citiscape on each ride. And then there are those rare times when you have the right combination of things which makes it seem almost magical. You're gliding along mile after mile, almost keeping up with the cars under your own power, with the cacophony of the wind, tires, gears, your own exertions. I never experience any of that while running save the sound of my own heavy breathing. Let's not forget those rare times when you have a good downhill, wind at your back, and highball signals all the way down. Oh the sheer joy of cracking 50 mph, or even 60 mph on very rare occasions, and the sensation of being behind the throttle of a high-speed train while doing so. You'll never get that from running, ever.

The bottom line is that everyone has their thing. Some people love running, others like lifting weights, or team sports, or cycling. All can provide a great workout if that is your goal.

knot

Banned
Biking is fun, especially mountain biking.

I find it a whole lot easier to run up a steep hill than to ride up one on a bike. I live on a hill and it's tough getting home after my workout ride. So many times I'd want to jump off my bike and push it up the hill but I push myself to keep riding.

Biking won't give you the heath benefit of increasing bone density though. Only running (weight bearing exercise) or lifting weights can do that.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I can't say I agree with you at all Valpo but then I guess it depends on what kind of cycling you do. I do both cycling and running and I would say that bike racing is just as energetic as a running race. You definitely hurt more after running though.

Although I guess you can take it really easy on a bike but when running, there is some minimum effort you need to put in.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your knees last a lot longer biking vs. running, too. Not a big deal when you are 25 years old, but a few years later and you start to notice this stuff.

cheers

knot

Banned
Your knees last a lot longer biking vs. running, too. Not a big deal when you are 25 years old, but a few years later and you start to notice this stuff.

cheers

Osteoporosis isn't a big deal for women when they are 25 either - but when they become elderly, it's a big deal. My mom broke both her arms in two separate occasions just falling down in the house. She had to have her right elbow replaced recently and has a bad case of spinal stenosis.

Cycling doesn't help at all to increase bone density. Running, aerobics, dancing, weightlifting - those types of exercises will.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I echo other thoughts. I like running because I can do my 3 1/2 miles in a half hour and it is the most efficient compact cardio that I can do, however I try to balance that with biking because running every or nearly every day is just too hard on my joints, particularly my before injured knee. Ideally when I'm exercising regularly, I try to do both twice a week and lift the other three days.

On a side note for winter indoor cardio, I find the elliptical is a wonderful thing and I balance that with treadmill running for the same reasons as above.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next, you will go to this flashlight forum and tell all of them (nicely) that flashlights are for wimps, just wait for your natural dark adapted vision to settle in and you'll be right? ;) :crackup: :poof: :poke:

It may be the truth but there is a time NOT to say it :naughty:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a long distance runner in high school for 4 years, ran good times in xc runs and such and had decent times in mile and 200m races, but my knees cannot last for ever. My Dad ran until his right knee blew completely without warning. today he can't run 20 yards without huge amoutns of pain. like that prospect?

plus bikes take you to places where you can't cover on foot, and I love Marzocchis.

BTW if you think cycling is easy, you aren't riding hard enough. Climb more hills.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I echo other thoughts. I like running because I can do my 3 1/2 miles in a half hour and it is the most efficient compact cardio that I can do

I hear the most efficient cardio workout is the VersaClimber machine. I believe it, too. After about a minute on one of those, I'm, like, "screw this..."

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, I feel like cycling is for people who aren't determined/tough enough to run. I know that sounds snobby.

Yes it does...and I cant figure for the life of me why you would post such a shitty comment in an open forum. I cant run anymore due to injuries and it has nothing to do with toughness or determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.