P3D Best Pocket Thrower?

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
So is the P3D the best pocket thrower out there? I have plenty of big throwers but I need a good pocket thrower (other than my p1dce) and I'd appriciate your suggestions. It seems the P3D is the best bet, but I was also looking into the 170 lumen dropin for my 6P since they are about the same lumens and I'd save a few bucks. I'm sure there's others I'm unaware of, but I'm looking for something thats definately pocketable, but doesnt have to be an edc, and cost wise what a p3D goes for or less.
Thanks

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i really like my p3d, it throws like a pro, just as long as you dont mind the length..

luigi

Enlightened
The Lumapower D-Mini throws better than the P3D.
It only uses 1 cell for 1 hour of runtime but you can buy PEU's 18650 body and it will run for 3+ hours and will definitively out-throw the P3D.
It has an optional two stage tailcap if you need 2 levels too.

Luigi

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
this beauty is wonderful.
it's my edc around my neck ( in the shirt of course )
yesterday me & my wife tested the beam in a empty cinema,my wife using the P2D and wow!These 2 little beast can light up the cinema screen (it was dark at that time ) about 200 - 250 feet ( we were at the last row) with no problem and of course our P3D is brighter:thumbsup:
Fenix company is really good in producing mid price quality excellent advance hand held LED,back in January 2007 my huntlight cree cost me $105 for 140 lumens & the P1D ce cost me $70 for 135lumens.But this P3D with 170lumens variety levels cost only $55 after rebate + shipping - who could ask for more?Only that this P3D accept only primaries cell but the CR123 can still be bought at Fenix with good price after 8% rebate so no issue at all.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumapower D-Mini throws better than the P3D.
It only uses 1 cell for 1 hour of runtime but you can buy PEU's 18650 body and it will run for 3+ hours and will definitively out-throw the P3D.
It has an optional two stage tailcap if you need 2 levels too.

Luigi
If you really want insane throw, you could even replace the reflector in the D-Mini (which I understand is the same size as the Lumapower M1) with the 30x20mm (EDIT: Actually, 30x15mm) Aspheric Lens from Surplus Shed. With that lens attached, this thing easily outthrows any reflector-based LED light -- I've used that lens (in a Lumapower M1) and it throws significantly further than the Malkoff Maglite drop-in. To get more spill out of it, you can roll up some aluminum foil into a 20mm deep cylinder, and slide that into the light (in between the light engine, and the side).

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
I don't have a P3D, but my P2D throws pretty darn far, and i never even twist it over to turbo.

You mentioned a Cree for your 6P, my DX version throws pretty far, but i would guess where you get your dropin will make a huge throw difference, since the reflector is one piece.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
From 4Sevens:

Quick fenix-store update:

- There is now a 8% CPF8 code, $20 minimum.
- There is a 10% PREORDER10 code for all items in the preorder category
- There is a 15% CLEARANCE15 code for all items in the clearance category
- Scratch the mag lens - we are out of them and don't intend to restock

-Bill

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Nano, How long does it takes to get items from 7777 to here, Malaysia? I assume you have bought from them?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
For P1d CE & LOD SE 19 days.
For P2D CE 14 days.
For P3D CE 26 days.

Keep in mind that is the free airmail service across the globe. We also have other shipping
upgrades you can opt for. :) EMS will get it to you in less than 1 week. Express mail in
the USA usually in less than 24 hours

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that is the free airmail service across the globe. We also have other shipping
upgrades you can opt for. :) EMS will get it to you in less than 1 week. Express mail in
the USA usually in less than 24 hours

Definitely.
I always appreciate the free shipping.
Will opt for the $5 insurance in future.
:whistle:

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, techwg, that video on your other thread helps a lot. The P3D looks to fit the bill, but looks like fenix-store is out of naturals for now though. I don't mind the length since it will be mostly a light for spotting things when out on nature hikes and such, not for something I'm going to be sitting in a movie theater with. The Lumapower D-Mini looks good, but don't know how that reflector's gonna fit in jeans pocket without a lookin a little "strange". But looks good for pack or something. Good stuff guys, thanks

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions, techwg, that video on your other thread helps a lot. The P3D looks to fit the bill, but looks like fenix-store is out of naturals for now though. I don't mind the length since it will be mostly a light for spotting things when out on nature hikes and such, not for something I'm going to be sitting in a movie theater with. The Lumapower D-Mini looks good, but don't know how that reflector's gonna fit in jeans pocket without a lookin a little "strange". But looks good for pack or something. Good stuff guys, thanks

We have plenty of p3d naturals in stock. :D
93 pcs to be exact :p

ensile

Enlightened
if you're into skin tight pant's like I am, then you will appreciate the non flared design of the fenix. if you don't car about a lil flare, a d-mini will satisfy. a p3d is EDC worthy. if it's just a compact thrower (not for EDC) get the d-mini. If you plan on carrying it all the time, i guess either, just consider the flared design a slight chunkier, FYI the included pouch sit's very slim, the p3d is versatile but will not 'throw' like the d-mini. each with different strengths and weaknesses, neither slouch by any means.