C-LE

Groundhog66

Banned
This thread will probably get closed due to multiple threads, but I gotta tell you how much this light FLAMES with a 14500 in it. I really don't think you can beat it for the price ANYWHERE. Enuff said.

Hog

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long have you been using 14500s in it? I have two and I'm considering getting some 14500s and risking one. There have been a lot that have gone poof on the higher voltage batteries, but the raves about the light on those make it very tempting. Did you modify the heatsink?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know this also. I've been afraid to try it in my C-LE, but I would like to see a higher output as long as I don't kill my light in the process.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are pushing the limits of the boost circuit in these and can expect to see magic electron smoke at any time when using 14500's. Having burned out my boost circuit (still works fine with 14500's ONLY now) I've got a lot of NiMH sitting around now with nothing to do. I'd strongly suggest getting the Dexlight X1 and you will have just as much or more brightness while knowing it won't go :poof:

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
When boost circuit is fried and forced to use 14500, do you still get all levels or just high? Haven't seen this answered anywhere. Thanks

Groundhog66

Banned
How long have you been using 14500s in it? I have two and I'm considering getting some 14500s and risking one. There have been a lot that have gone poof on the higher voltage batteries, but the raves about the light on those make it very tempting. Did you modify the heatsink?

I can't say it gets much use, but I have used 14500's in it since day one. The light is inexpensive enough, that if it does go :poof: you aren't :mecry:

Tim

Norm

Retired Administrator
Very happy with mine running an Eneloop, :poof:I wouldn't risk a 14500in it. :poof:
Norm

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried a 14500 in my dexlight version and it stopped working.
:poof:

Been using 14500's in my Dexlight since I've had it ~1 month or so and NO :poof:. Maybe your's is defective? It is designed to run 14500's..:cool:

I think he is talking about the Dexlight X.V, which is the Dexlight version of the JB C-LE. This is what the DX discription says about using the 14500's in it.

"Powered by 1x AA battery (0.7V to 1.5V), 14500 3.6V batteries also work but is not officially supported and is not recommended as it causes permanent damages to the flashlight"

BMRSEB

Enlightened
I think he is talking about the Dexlight X.V, which is the Dexlight version of the JB C-LE. This is what the DX discription says about using the 14500's in it.

"Powered by 1x AA battery (0.7V to 1.5V), 14500 3.6V batteries also work but is not officially supported and is not recommended as it causes permanent damages to the flashlight"

Oh, I see..:)

bspofford

Enlightened
It seems that we're talking about three different lights that look similar. The CLE v1.1 is a 5 mode light that may fry with 14500 cells. Maybe you will get lucky, but maybe you won't. Then there is the CLE v1.2 with a 6th locator beam mode activated by turning the light off for two seconds after the SOS mode. If you have this 6th mode, you probably can safely use 14500 cells and enjoy a tremendous increase in brightness with all six modes functioning. I tested a dozen and they all seem to work fine with 14500 cells, but you still need to avoid overheating. The DX X.V. is not a CLE v1.2 in a different package. It does have a 6th locator beam mode with a UI just like the CLE v1.2, but 14500 cells destroyed two of my lights in a matter of seconds. Although Kyle at DX reported that he has a 14500 cell in his X.V., I'm not planning on using 3.7V with any of my other DX X.V. lights!

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for reply/pm Matrixshaman. I have 2 from group buy with hidden mode. I don't see what the concern is then for using 14500's if you still get all levels when the circuit blows? You are forced to use 14500's but that is not a downside to me. And I know the heatsink is bad and will for sure shorten led but so what?

Also, any one have any rough guesses as to runtimes using 14500? With nimh, the posted times are low/17 hours, medium/4.5 hours, high/2 hours, and beacon mode is 5 days. I haven't seen one for SOS, but I would guess much less than a day.

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
For 14500 runtimes, the capacity is obviously great than nimh and lumens much more. My guess us maybe half the runtime of nimh?

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but what does that mean to say many have burned their lights out? I understand that the light still works fine, you are just forced to ONLY use 14500's?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
What it means is, they have burned out the boost circuit and it won't fire up with 1.5V, so a 14500 (4V) is necessary to light the LED.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, my JETBeam C-LE lasted less than a day before the 14500 :poof: experience.

As others have said though, this is not a costly light, so, no :mecry:when it happened. :)

CFU