hands free cylindrical led

bdcochran

Newly Enlightened
I have a need for a cylindrical, hands free led. The function is only to slighly illuminate a room. The quality of the led as a flashlight is irrelevant. However, it must be cylindrical and be able to be rolled on a floor. Any recommendations? The cheaper the better.

DM51

Flashaholic
Not quite sure what you mean. Do you want a normal cylindrical LED flashlight where the light comes out of one end, or something where the side of the cylinder lights up? There's plenty of the first type to choose from. Not sure about the other type, unless you stick a diffuser on the end. Why does it have to roll around on the floor?

bdcochran

Newly Enlightened
Response - normal.

Application - dynamic room entry. Explanation. If you have a light in the hand, you have a hand occupied. If you have a weapon mounted light, you have to swing the muzzle around and you get overswing. If you have a small cylindrical led with the light coming out one end, you can roll it into a room and the whole room is lit up. You don't end up pointing muzzles where you don't want them to go.

Since, you asked, I go a bit further. If you put a photon 2 on a lanyard type chain and place the chain around your neck, you can walk around without tripping on things or having a hand occupied.

DM51

Flashaholic
OK, I see. You're looking for something with a diffuser, otherwise it'll only light up what it points at - and if it bumps into something while it's rolling and spins around, that could be you - not what you want.

The problem is, during the time you are opening the door, switching the light on and getting ready to roll it, your adversary will notice what is going on and you will have lost the element of surprise.

Rather than a flashlight, I reckon you need a flashbang.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe something light this except a lot tougher and with light from both sides.

Or buy a light and put a diffuser on it.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably get a bunch of 5mm LEDs and put them in a circular pattern inside a plastic tube with aluminum ends and just chuck it into the room a delay timer would be excellent like a 2 second delay before the light turns on similar to the timer in a grenade.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>The function is only to slighly illuminate a room.

Why only slightly? How much light do you need? Do you need enough light to look around by naked eye?

> it must be cylindrical and be able to be rolled on a floor.

If it's a cylinder and you toss it into a dark room, , it's liable to end up pointing anywhere, even back at you. Is this OK? If not, what about a ball or disc shape?

boosterboy

Enlightened
OK, I see. You're looking for something with a diffuser, otherwise it'll only light up what it points at - and if it bumps into something while it's rolling and spins around, that could be you - not what you want.

The problem is, during the time you are opening the door, switching the light on and getting ready to roll it, your adversary will notice what is going on and you will have lost the element of surprise.

Rather than a flashlight, I reckon you need a flashbang.

LOL