Best of the CHEAP...another car thread.

scottaw

Enlightened
Ok, i loved reading the pile of replies to the "what's in your car" thread, so now i need to buy more flashlights....c'mon an excuse makes money justified. So here it is. I want a RELIABLE 1x123A light to throw in my cars, and i want it CHEAP. Im thinking like a SF3P type light, definately open to a led as well. I know DX and Kai have tons of super cheap lights, but does anyone have any experience with them?

Im thinking around $20, to throw in the gloveboxes forever, and if it doesn't ever get used...so be it. So maybe this thread should be a review of the lights nobody ever bothers reviewing b/c they're not going to be name brand, feature packed, or anything like that.

atm

Enlightened
These would be hard to beat for the money (the $20 sale price anyway). Good brand, well proven model, 1 x CR123, plus you get LEDs for long runtime and incan for more output. All from one of the best dealers around! :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got some older, lesser lights in the car, but they never get used since I've always got something better in my pockets. It's tough being a well prepared flashaholic. :laughing:

Geoff

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a used Surefire 9P from the B/S/T section... got me a cheap light ($35 shipped) and it was pre-beat up so I'm not worried about the finish, lol.

I know that's not the specific deal you want, but you might want to shop B/S/T first.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still believe that the 'car' should be the place that lights go when they have lost their interest to their owner.

Sometimes, when re discovered months later..... when a tire change or other lighting situation rears its head, interest is sometimes re kindled. If not , then I ultimately sell the 'car' light and it is replaced by another light that has lost its apeal.....and this system continues and I have found it to be infinitely practical.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably cheaper than you. I don't know why you specify a 1xCR123 light since you don't need real small size for a glove compartment light. I'd pick a 2xAA or 3xAA light and use E2 or BS 1.7 volt lithiums. You can get anything from a Magled 2xAA on the high end to lights like this or this on the lower end.

gunga

Flashaholic
It's funny. I had a big 2D maglight with mineral lense and MagLed, but decided to sell it to use one of my many other lights.

Decided to put in a minimag with SMJ module and terralux clicky. Should give me nice even flood for 25+ hours on alkaline. Also leaves more room in the glove box for batteries etc.

I also keep a nite-ize headband in there for instant headlamp.

And yes, I have better lights on me at all times, so the glove box one doesn't get much use...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still believe that the 'car' should be the place that lights go when they have lost their interest to their owner. {QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

You also should stash a headlamp in your car. Try changing a tire at night without one!

scottaw

Enlightened
Well, i specify the 1x123A b/c i know 123a's can sit a very long time with no worry of leaking or being dead when i need them. But this brings up an interesting question...do AA/AAA lithiums have the same qualities as the 123A or can they still leak and go dead on me like a normal AA?

Good thought on the twintasks, i have a 2L, completely forgot there is a 1 battery version. It's not my favorite light, by any means, but it does seem to fit the bill.

Anyone have any of the DX fenix knockoffs? I was thinking maybe the P1 knockoff.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Lithium AA and AAA batteries should share the same basic properties as a CR123 battery except for the voltage difference.

Most of the DX lights are pretty good. They are usually well made for their price.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Twin Tasks from Streamlight are interesting in that they have a decent Xenon beam coupled with 5MM LEDs for close up/battery conserving use.

I also concur with the Dorcy 1L. It was my first 1L LUX light and was impressive at first. It was blown right away though by my Fenix P1...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a RELIABLE 1x123A light to throw in my cars, and i want it CHEAP. Im thinking like a SF3P type light, definately open to a led as well.

The Gerber RX 350 Flashlight looks decent for a small incan, if incan is what your want. REI has it for 28 bucks, but you might find it cheaper elsewhere: http://www.rei.com/product/753119

The Dorcy Super 1 Watt has a decent reputation on CPF, and should be available for you locally at around 20 bucks.

The Streamlight TwinTask 1L LED/incan hybrid is a decent emergency light for it's price. Got one for the car, but wouldn't care for it as a daily use light because I hate its switch sequence that forces me to cycle the incan lamp to get to the LEDs. But, for a seldom used emergency light the switch sequence isn't an issue.

Last edited:

kuksul08

Enlightened
I've got little light that hooks in the glove box and keeps a constant charge all the time.

My headlights are D2S Xenon, 80W 4300k Foglights and 100W 4300k High Beams

finebead

Newly Enlightened
I got a 1w LED 1-123a by "Magellan" from Academy sports, regular $26, on sale for $15. It was a very good deal. 3 way switch, high, low, off. Then I had to wait 2 months, got another for my daughters car.