Wild ride in a wheelchair!

Scottiver

Enlightened
Re: Wild ride!

I liked the part where it said the guy in the wheelchair was "unfazed" from the incident. I bet he was at least a little "fazed". :laughing:

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I liked the part where it said the guy in the wheelchair was "unfazed" from the incident. I bet he was at least a little "fazed". :laughing:
I know I would be "fazing" some stuff into the seat of that chair.:eek:oo: I was suprised the wheels didn't come off.

mchlwise

Enlightened

I certainly woulda been fazed. :eek:

:duh2:

Illum

Flashaholic
wow, I don't blame the trucker.....:green:

if the wheels are connected to a permanent magnet motor and are forced to turn at 60 mph speeds....the controllers probably fried and the rascal's battery banks probably overcharged:naughty:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... From the Article:

As he crossed Red Arrow Highway in front of a semi truck, he didn't make the traffic light. The truck driver apparently didn't see Carpenter and a collision occurred, causing the wheelchair's handles to become lodged in the truck's grille.

The trucker is at fault (pedestrians have the right-a-way). Guy in chair legally entered the crosswalk(?) and because he did not clear the intersection before the red does not allow the truck driver to hit him. However, thank God, the fact that nobody was injured in this spectacular incident was probably the reason the trucker will not be charged/ticketed.

-Bill

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite true.
Pedestrians do have the right of way, even if jaywalking, or jaywheeling.

It is kinda interesting that the trucker didn't notice the slow moving wheeled pedestrian dressed in bright red. :thinking:
What else did he need to be seen? :shrug:

Makes one wonder if even Craig would have been safe crossing that intersection at that time.

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Craig, ever been up to 50 mph?
Nope; can't say that I have.
I was able to drive my old electric wheelchair down Olive Way in Seattle at speeds just exceeding 20mph (because the motor disengaged from the rest of the system to help protect the electronics when travelling down long hills like this), but *NOT* 50mph.
And yes, this was a measured speed, not a "guesstimate".

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
It is kinda interesting that the trucker didn't notice the slow moving wheeled pedestrian dressed in bright red. :thinking:

Think about the angle of visibility from the cab of a semi-truck. Those things have huge blind spots, including directly in front of the grill. You could probably miss seeing an entire car from up there if it was close enough. That's why school buses have those wire "crossing guards" to force the kids to cross where the driver can see them. I think before those were implemented, several kids got run over and killed because they stopped in the driver's blind spot while crossing. A guy in a wheelchair is about the same height as a kid, and buses have much better forward visibility than semis.

The trucker may be technically responsible, but realistically, I don't know how he could have seen the guy. Theoretically, there could be mirrors placed to eliminate the forward blind spot, but I don't know if there actually are. Any truckers among us know the answer to that?

Also, the fact that the wheelchair didn't make it all the way across before the light changed indicates a problem: Maybe the light cycle was too short for the wheelchair's speed, or maybe the guy started crossing after the walk signal switched to the flashing hand.

What else did he need to be seen? :shrug:
Maybe a dayglo orange pennant on a ten foot wire pole. Don't recumbant cyclists use those?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
of all the things i want to see from that story, i most wanna see the look on the trucker's face when he saw the wheel chair..

::aaa: :crackup:

Crenshaw