Arc LSH-P Doesn't workl!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Arc LSH-P Doesn\'t workl!! :(

Got my brand new LSH-P today, and installed the rubber gasket, turned it on, expecting an awesome white beam, and got -

NOTHING.

Pulled the gasket out, re-installed, and got -

NOTHING.

Installed gasket in the battery pack.

Nothing.

86'ed gasket, tried it without it. Got - you guessed it -

NOTHING.

I received this item with a QC label tested by 'Rudy' or 'Ruby' (hard to tell).

Since I have the luxury of examining the (unlit) head, I have also noticed a great deal of 'farkle.' This wouldn't bother me as much if the damned thing would just LIGHT UP!!!!

160 Bucks!!??? I expected better. Much better.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Arc LSH-P Doesn\'t workl!! :(

Good news...
Turns out the battery pack (123 twist type) was the problem. Used the twist pack from my Rev 1 and got light. It's hella white, but it doesn't look any brighter than my Rev 1!! I've only been shining them around the house, though. I'll reserve judjement until I can do a better throw test..

Although, shining down my hallway against the living room wall, the LSH-P is LOSING to my rev 1!!! Grrrrr....

mst3k

Enlightened

Or just send it back. Face it, for $160 you shouldn't have to do anything but put in a battery and fire it up! Right?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should remind any of the new members that Arc obsoleted the P-123 pack several months ago because it had a history of not working properly. The new pack we recommend you use is the TSP-123 or TSP-2AA.

Luminance, you may still return the Arc-LS for any reason. But I should tell you that the replacement may have the same problem as long as you continue to use an obsolete pack.

I apologize for not more clearly recommending which pack you should use.

Peter Gransee

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys should redesign and start making P-123 again. TSP is too big(and ugly
winkie.GIF
).

JohnG

Enlightened

posted 12-26-2002 08:20 AM
"We are closing out and discontinuing the P-123 pack to make way for the TSP packs."
Peter Gransee
posted 01-19-2003 01:50PM
"I should remind any of the new members that Arc obsoleted the P-123 pack several months ago"
Just a reminder:

You may have obsoleted them months ago, but you didn't inform members, new or old, about it until 3 weeks ago.
Notice

dark star

Enlightened

Originally posted by Luminance:
... shining down my hallway against the living room wall, the LSH-P is LOSING to my rev 1!!! Grrrrr....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, my LSH-P also loses to my rev 1 when shining against a wall. But when on a bike ride trying to light the path ahead at some distance the LSH-P wins.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is all on how the beam is distributed. Also, different tints can register differently in perceived brightness.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

JohnG, I try to make sure I am not lieing to you guys. I did not say three months ago, the exact words, "the P-123 packs are obsolete". I did say though that they are being replaced with the TSP because of problems working with different battery types, not working at all, crushing the cells, etc.

Date: 7-31-2002
Thread: "New Arc Products for Winter 2002..."
Quote: "Rev2 includes a new housing, power packs, circuit and support for new LEDs."

"Battery retention spring replaces rev1 retainer and allows better battery management."

Date: 9-20-2002
Thread: "1x123 Tail Switch Packs: Post Your Test Results Here"
Quotes: "These packs will eventually become the default pack for the LSx series."

"Built in spring protects battery from shock, compensates for brand variations and does not "crush" cells each time light is turned on."

"The switchless 123 pack (which is on order, pics coming soon) will be the default if this [TSP beta] test goes poorly." (you may remember that the test in fact went quite well)

Date: 10-9-2002
Thread: "Is your new LS unscrewing and your thinking of Sueing? (Peter talks about solutions)"
Summary: I talk about problems with the P-123. And then I mention solutions.
Quote: "Solutions? Other than use the tailswitch pack..."

This is not a complete search but I do feel that I did on more than one occassion imply or state that the P-123 pack had problems which I felt the TSP would fix. I feel that I did at least try to communicate that the TSP would obsolete the P-123. Now of course, no one may have understood what I was saying.

We have been talking about 123 pack compatibility issues for some time (I estimate 6 months). Once we found the Kroll, I saw this as a means to solve the problem. Now, I did waffle on it for a month or two because of cosmetics. But, the original plan and the current plan is for the TSP-x to replace the P-x series.

Obsolete "a : no longer in use or no longer useful b : of a kind or style no longer current" (from Websters)

I assert that I have been trying to communicate the obsolescence of the P-123 pack for some time now.

Now I will (and have) concede that I can always make our product line a little more easier to understand. I also apologize for the complicated nature of our product evolution.

Peter

JohnG

Enlightened

I am sorry my post ticked you off, Gransee.

Up until that December 26th post, I thought the P-123 pack was an option, not obsolete.

I was offended by your post to Luminace, which I thought implied that he was a newbie, so he wouldn't know he should only use the TSP pack.

I'm an oldie and I didn't know it either.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are ok John. I am not mad. When you posted, I searched my thoughts, "maybe I did screw up. Was I not clear, was this something I just sprung on our customers?". So I looked through my past posts to make sure I was at least trying to be fair and let you guys know what is going on. My search revealed that I have been talking about this for awhile. Of course, I still may have screwed up in the clarity department. Maybe my posts don't clearly indicate that we were switching to the TSPs because they work better.

My reason for posting the past posts was really to defend myself. Not the best reason, but what was questioned was my integrity. Not sure if integrity should be defended. It should just be practiced. So me defending myself was probally not the best use of my time.

As far as Luminance's post, I think I could have handled that better.

I think I post quite a bit to the CPF. I know there is a lot of information to go through and the search function takes some getting used to. I was annoyed with Luminance for what I feel was blindly posting that our product is defective when the real problem was he was not using the right pack. Customers vent their frustrations here, why not me? I am human also. My post about "new users" was me basically saying, "don't blame us when you use the product wrong" or, "read my posts!".

Ok, so my posts are not always clear or maybe even interesting. But I do want your light to work everytime. That is one of our goals here.

So I am sorry Luminance and JohnG for venting with you guys and not being patient or a better communicator in this situation. I hope that we can recover from my mistake.

And yes, you can use the P-123 or P-2AA or even the P-1AA pack on your new LS. But, we don't recommend it and it may not work very well (or at all). The recommended packs are the TSP-123 and the TSP-2AA. The older packs are obsolete.

I hope that you (and the rest of the CPF) still feel welcome here to post any grievances/questions/suggestions/etc about Arc.

Peter Gransee
Arc Flashlight

B@rt

Flashaholic

Peter,
I applaud the way you are dealing with us (and other customers...)
I like your openness (sp?) but, in all fairness, this is not the way to conduct a buisness... there are way too many sharks around...

Be aware, and... be around in another 20 years or so.
winkie.GIF

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. Yes on the sharks. It is a fine line I suppose. Customer's knowledge on one hand, competition on the other. As you can see, I tend to sway more towards the customer's favor.
smile.gif

Yclo and McGizmo sent me an example of Arc-AAA knockoff they found made in China. I was hoping we would be first, but I guess I can't do everything all at once.

I know it's a knock off because they copied a very specific and telling flaw in our original design. Definately a smoking gun. The package says, "designed in the USA". Hehe. Right. I can't help but think that this enterprising person probally is a CPF lurker and saw an oppratunity to make a buck from our idea.

I am not saying I have one original bone in body but did you have to copy my design so closely? Now if you had actually improved the product you would have had more of my respect.

Anyways, I should stop posting to this particular thread. A truly new user might get the wrong idea from glancing at the thread title and not reading the actual thread.

Peter Gransee

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, designed in USA, found (sold) in Japan and "made in China".

And I want to thank you again for sending it to me! I would like to send you back an Arc-AAA for your trouble. Send me an email with your color choice.

Peter Gransee

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

peter, what about those non-labeled arc aaa's (available on ebay)? they look the exact same, but don't have any writing on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.