Sale on Mag2AA

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local walmart had the LED Mag 2AA lights on sale for $19.95
marked down from $23.95.
Might want to check around your stores.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was the Bessemer AL. store. They had 5 left yesterday.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Local Wal-Marts around me have had the Mini-Mag LED 2AA on sale, at $19.00, for more than a month now.

The regular price is/was $23.74, so this sale price is 20% off !

Quite a price drop for an item which just hit our store shelves on Labor Day, 2006.

That's when i bought mine, for the full price. :)

Can we (as very intelligent flashaholics) read anything into this price-drop ? ? ? (such as . . . .)

-- they're not selling well, so we had to drop the price

-- they're selling so incredibly well that we can cut our price due to economics of scale

-- we're clearing out old stock, cuz' a newer, updated CREE model will ship soon :)

(you get the idea . . . .)

Any ideas here, fellow CPF'ers ?

BTW, i really like mine, even at the original price.
I'm well aware of its limitations, but think it's a real bargain,
which JoeAverageBuyer can pick right off the store shelf.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Bet they aren't selling well. The average Wal-mart shopper is hardly a CPF'er. Walks up and sees the 2AA Mag for what? $7? Then spies the 2AA MagLED and wonders, 'why would ah pays $23 patootin' dollahs for a fancy smancy el-ee-dee when ah could git me this here fane qualetee mag instroomint for $7?'

Burgess

Flashaholic
to BlackDecker --

:clap::lolsign::clap::lolsign:

Ya' know, if they wanna' make 'em REALLY popular,

better offer 'em in pretty colors, like the incan. model.

Some people will collect the entire set !

:D

Cydonia

Enlightened
Bet they aren't selling well. The average Wal-mart shopper is hardly a CPF'er. Walks up and sees the 2AA Mag for what? $7? Then spies the 2AA MagLED and wonders, 'why would ah pays $23 patootin' dollahs for a fancy smancy el-ee-dee when ah could git me this here fane qualetee mag instroomint for $7?'

Got that right ;)

I too place my bets on the Mini Mag LED not selling so well.
In another thread a few months back (titled something like "how is M*g doing these days?" I searched but couldn't find it) people were speculating that the full size MagLED's are not doing so well either... not surprising. There is such a lack of info for the average joe. Why spend $20 on a MagLED drop in when you don't know what you're getting? So they stick with what they know.

RoyJ

Enlightened
Remeber, the 2AA & 3D Mags for Joe are like a SF U2 and M6, respectively, to us. Most people won't even get a Mag unless they're into "extreme outdoor stuff".

None of my friends (a bunch are even engineers) own a Maglite. Kinda funny. They have no problems dropping $3000 on a coilover suspension system, but refuse to pay over $5 for a 2D plastic light.

Even worse, most of their lights have 5 yr old Eveready carbon zinc batts, sitting in the garage shelf, almost completely dead.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yes, I'd say that the MagLEDs are not selling as strong as originally thought. Anything over $20 is a lot to spend for a flashlight for most people who use them only occasionally.

CPFers tend to dislike the Mag brand and prefer truly 'elite' lights.

MagLEDs hold unpopular ground for a number of reasons.

I bought a few of the 3AA models for $17-18 when they were still fairly new ... and I thought that was a pretty good deal.
I convinced my uncle to get one as well ... although I don't know if he got one of the extreme deals available (I've seen these as low as $15.99, I think, at Home Despot).

I have my fill of Maglites. My 2C I converted into a 3 x CR123 is the last Mag I bought ... and will be the last one for a long, long time.

Confederate

Enlightened
Well, just how good are the Mini-Mag AA LED lights? And what of the larger ones? I've never seen one outside of a package and don't know what the brightness is. Some of the smaller ones have three AAA battery tubes. Impressive looks, but what kind of light output are we talking about?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Well, just how good are the Mini-Mag AA LED lights? And what of the larger ones? I've never seen one outside of a package and don't know what the brightness is. Some of the smaller ones have three AAA battery tubes. Impressive looks, but what kind of light output are we talking about?

I own a 2AA MagLED and the light output is quite good. What has relegated this light to my car's glove box is the sudden 'poof' it goes out when the batteries get low. Happens with either alkalines or NiMh cells. The light works great and shows no apparent dimness before just blinking out. I prefer lights with some low battery warning, strobing, or dimming to let me know it's time to look for another set of batteries.

jml90

Newly Enlightened

El-eee-dee...Don't give them that much credit they're thinking "Why would I want my light made of lead?"..

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great price, thanks for the info.

On a side note, I think the Mags are still excellent bang-for-the-buck.

I gave grandma a 3aa led, and she has stated several times "Wow, that light is REALLY bright!"
As bright as a Cree? I guess not...but, still a great performer in a familiar and pretty darn tough package.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Maglite on sale. Hmmm.... I don't think they are loosing any money, I was in Copenhagen today and popped into a store and saw the Mag 3aaa LED selling for 500 kroner, that's $90!!!! US.:shakehead
It's just amazing to take $90 brows through DealExtream and see what goodies you can buy.

I guess people must be buying them and the sad thing is they're probably walking away thinking they have the latest and greatest in flashlight technology, talk about making money out of peoples ignorance.

The worst thing is that even at that sale prise I would not but one, plastic lens, cheap reflector, poor circuitry and an outdated diode, sale or no sale it's just not a very good light.
Sorry for bashing them, of course this is only my opinion.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Mag is bashed alot on this forum, partly due to the fact that their corporate mentality is 'innovation through litigation'.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up two silver ones (2 and 3 AA models) today at Walmart. Love the color and the lights ain't bad either. In probably close to 20 years I have never been let down by Mags so you will not hear me bashing them.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite on sale. Hmmm.... I don't think they are loosing any money, I was in Copenhagen today and popped into a store and saw the Mag 3aaa LED selling for 500 kroner, that's $90!!!! US.:shakehead
It's just amazing to take $90 brows through DealExtream and see what goodies you can buy.

I guess people must be buying them and the sad thing is they're probably walking away thinking they have the latest and greatest in flashlight technology, talk about making money out of peoples ignorance.

The worst thing is that even at that sale prise I would not but one, plastic lens, cheap reflector, poor circuitry and an outdated diode, sale or no sale it's just not a very good light.
Sorry for bashing them, of course this is only my opinion.

For whatever reason Mags (and flashlights in General) seem to sell for outragous amounts overseas. You would be much better off either having someone in the U.S pay retail and then ship it to you, or buy a Fenix from Fenixstore which offer free worldwide shipping.