LED emitters: K2 vs. Cree

o0o

Enlightened
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each (vs. each other)?

Why are Crees used more often in new flashlights--is it due to price, performance, or both?

What about lumen maintenance--which wins this category?

At this point, my LED collection only includes Lux I, Lux III, and Lux V lights.

I've never owned a K2 or Cree, so I'd like more opinions on these new emitters.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each (vs. each other)?

Why are Crees used more often in new flashlights--is it due to price, performance, or both?

At this point, my LED collection only includes Lux I, Lux III, and Lux V lights.

I've never owned a K2 or Cree, so I'd like more opinions on these new emitters.

the cree is much brighter and more efficient. that about sums it up hehe.

Stu

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crees are significantly more efficient, which is the reason they are favored in new lights.

With LEDs, lumen maintenance is almost an entirely a question of temperature, and how hard the emitters are driven. Since the Cree is more efficient, you should be able to achieve similar brightness to the K2, but with lower power consumption, and as a result less heat/degradation. If you push both to the max, I believe the K2 is designed to tolerate high heat very well, and may perform better, but IMO you're best off driving a Cree conservatively.

How about Cree VS SSC?
SSC is currently licensing the blue LED emitter from Cree, so it has similar efficiency. The two different in light distribution -- Seoul emits light in a 180 degree beam pattern similar to a luxeon, so that is your best bet for a direct retrofit. Cree emits light into a narrower beam angle, which makes it better suited for use with optics, or in reflector based lights where a lot of spill is desired.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the SSC Terralux for the minimag doesn't really need a reflector?
Both would work better with a reflector. SSC especially needs a reflector, as most of the light is emitted to the sides. In the case of the Cree, most would be emitted forward, so a Cree would work better than a SSC in a light with no reflector. As such, Cree lights usually require deeper reflectors in order to capture and collimate as much light as a Seoul.

knot

Banned
Both would work better with a reflector. SSC especially needs a reflector, as most of the light is emitted to the sides. In the case of the Cree, most would be emitted forward, so a Cree would work better than a SSC in a light with no reflector. As such, Cree lights usually require deeper reflectors in order to capture and collimate as much light as a Seoul.

Thanks. I have an assortment of lens, reflectors and now an optic. When I get me Cree drop-in from DX, it will be fun experimenting.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to sum the points up:

Cree/SSC (basically the same except for the beam degree) needs less than half the current for same brightness, thus is more efficient
+ produces WAY LESS heat --> proper heat management much easier

PS: any light source without some kind of focusing is useless. Maybe just good for reading a newspaper, but nothing else.

Latest posts