LED Drop-In for a Surefire M3?

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf drop-in (Cree or Seoul) for a SureFire M3 flashlight? Anything on the horizon?

Thanks.............Frank

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPFer ARCMania could make one for you. The KL6 LED bezel is a nice choice as well though. You could try to find used online, then have someone mod it with a Cree. That might be even better.

defusion

Enlightened
I believe its hard to put a LED trough the hole provided by the bezel, and i dont know of any existing solutions.
The only way is by modifying the M3 head, or using the KL6 bezel.
One CPF user i know of delivering some fine LED solutions for the M3 is milkyspit.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tower takes care of this problem as it extends into the bezel. A pretty nifty design. ARCmania is the "non-moding" the bezel way to go!! :D

Check out this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/141994&pp=30

(it was the best I could find with search..you do NOT have to build your own)

I believe its hard to put a LED trough the hole provided by the bezel, and i dont know of any existing solutions.
The only way is by modifying the M3 head, or using the KL6 bezel.
One CPF user i know of delivering some fine LED solutions for the M3 is milkyspit.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tower modules WILL NOT work with the standard M3 head. The hole in the reflector is not big enough for the tower module to go through. They only work with the KT1/KT2/KT4 Turboheads. The KL6 or modifying a KL2 head or M3 head with different reflectors and insides are your options. Look into Milkyspits mods.....he has done various multi-emitter/ reflector heads for the M3.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tower modules are pretty lousy when it comes to heat transfer. Remember, they were designed for incandescents, not LEDs. Despite the raves they get around here, I think they're a poor choice, and considering the cost, you're better off buying a KL6 LED head and having it modified with a Seoul or Cree and have the LED driven at spec (700mA to 1A or more). The KL6 will be able to handle the heat because it is designed for a Lux V which dissipates more power than a Seoul or Cree at 1A despite putting out more light than a Lux V.

IMG_8818.jpg

Here's a pic with a W bin Lux V (left) vs Cree on the KL6 (right)
IMG_8814.jpg
IMG_8815.jpg

The Cree'd KL6 runs cooler, longer and brighter overall, and throws quite a bit farther.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Thank-you for all the help, folks. I appreciate it.

The modded KL6 head route sounds attractive to me, but do I understand correctly that this head is no longer available from SureFire? I have to look in the classifieds for a used example?

Having aquired a KL6, it is definately modifiable? You can disassemble and upgrade these heads?

I will also do some 'searching' on Milkyspit mods.

I have already performed an ARCMania Turbo Tower Seoul upgrade for my M3T and, as someone has said, they do not fit the M3.

Has SureFire announced a M3 LED Conversion Head that is planned for the future? Is so, I can wait (and wait, and wait, and wait.................).

Thanks again............frank

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
I think you really should contact milkyspit, he offers many options for the M3.
He can use a standard M3 bezel (the one you got with the light, or buy seperately for $60 if you want to maintain the possibility to use an incan bulb).
anything from luxeon to cree to SSC-P4's, and from single emitter to 3 (or even more in a turbo head), for anything up to almost 500 lumen!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank-you for all the help, folks. I appreciate it.

The modded KL6 head route sounds attractive to me, but do I understand correctly that this head is no longer available from SureFire? I have to look in the classifieds for a used example?

Having aquired a KL6, it is definately modifiable? You can disassemble and upgrade these heads?

I will also do some 'searching' on Milkyspit mods.

I have already performed an ARCMania Turbo Tower Seoul upgrade for my M3T and, as someone has said, they do not fit the M3.

Has SureFire announced a M3 LED Conversion Head that is planned for the future? Is so, I can wait (and wait, and wait, and wait.................).

Thanks again............frank

They are available from several vendors like batteryjunction (I think he's a CPF dealer). I suspect that they are discontinued because they are dimmer and consume more power than one with a Cree or Seoul LED in it like the ones I've done. As far as I know the only M3 LED conversion head was the KL6. If you're interested in having a KL6 modified, I can do it or maybe milky can also.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Holy Crap!!!

I checked at Battery Junction, and they do have a KL6, but it's $165! That's close to what I paid for the M3.

Again, thank-you one and all for your help. I will keep an eye out for a used KL6, and I will contact Milkyspit about what he may be able to do for me.

Respectfully...............Frank

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have a CM modded KL6 with P4 Cree, and it is a good thrower, also has very good side spill. I run it with a Leef 18650 body and two RCR123's, or the original L6 body with three CR123.s, or two 17650's, could use 18500's as body is bored out, and I can use it with two 18650's, adding a bored out A19 to L6 body.

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are available from several vendors like batteryjunction (I think he's a CPF dealer). I suspect that they are discontinued because they are dimmer and consume more power than one with a Cree or Seoul LED in it like the ones I've done. As far as I know the only M3 LED conversion head was the KL6. If you're interested in having a KL6 modified, I can do it or maybe milky can also.

I don't believe the KL6 has been discontinued, though they can be hard to come by, as are many SureFire lights from time to time... seems a lot of their current production gets consumed by the US military and never actually reaches dealer shelves.

Just a bit of trivia, but the KL2 head is also an M3-compatible conversion head. This one was discontinued some time ago, I think... it was a 19-LED array and only generates something like 28 lumens, with poor throw at that.

On the other hand, the KL2 is one of the platforms I use to build the Project-M lights! For the uninitiated, info in the Project-M Thread.

And yes, I do modify the KL6, as does CM. :D

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for a way to put a SSC-P4 in a M3 myself. I guess it doesn't work too well. I was also hoping to get one of those KL2 mods from Milky to go on a L5 body via adapter but it looks like they're all out.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for a way to put a SSC-P4 in a M3 myself. I guess it doesn't work too well. I was also hoping to get one of those KL2 mods from Milky to go on a L5 body via adapter but it looks like they're all out.

The KL2 mods aren't all out... do you mean the adapter? If so, I have a couple that could be combined with a build.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Almost a year on in this thread...any further updates to drop ins for the M3??

I'm looking to buy an M3 if I can use it with an LED for a good combo of runtime and output.

Do a search for KL9. If Surefire really puts this head out I believe my search will be ended!:thumbsup:

T45

Enlightened
In the unlikely event anyone comes across this ancient thread, there are now 2 LED drop in modules for the M3: The Malkoff MD10(see Malkoff website for specs) and the Veleno Designs M3 drop in, which can be found at Lighthound.com.

bnemmie

Enlightened
My old M3 is sitting in a drawer waiting for me to bring it back to life. Thanks for the info.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
I currently have KL6 modded with a SSC P4 LED. It throws better than with the Lumileds 4-die LED.
It is beginning to look a bit anemic. What LEDS are available to replace the P4 in my KL6?