Suggestions for a EDC replacement of a SF G2

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Hello everyone, I am looking for some suggestions on a light to get someone who presently uses a SureFire G2 on a daily basis. He of course goes through alot of batteries and bulbs and I am looking for something about the same size but with an LED. I dont know if a rechargeable would be an option for him or if he doesnt mind burning up lithiums. He uses his G2 for his job of general maintenance. He likes the ruggedness and hard body of the G2. Thanks for any suggestions.

carrot

Flashaholic
How about a KL3 head for the G2, if you want to stick with Surefire?

He could also get the rechargeable Streamlight Strion, a very good light that is similar to the G2 in output and runtime, but that it is rechargeable makes it cheaper to run and the bulbs are cheaper as well. The initial investment is a bit much ($85-100) but well worth it for a solid light. Streamlight's warranty and customer service is just as good, if not better than Surefire's too.

Last edited:

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
This sounds like the perfect job for the Cree drop-in from Dealextreme. If he wants rechargeables you might want to pickup some of the new 3.6V Ultrafire protected RCR123s along with a charger from the same place.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend an XR-E Cree drop-in bulb to replace the P60. It will get three to four times the runtime with a higher brightness level. I am using one of the more expensive one's , a Wolf-eyes XR-E CREE D26 3.7v-13v drop-in. The quality is superb. Your friend will still have the same comforable well-designed G2 with a much better light engine. He will love you for it.

Flash007

Enlightened
+2 for the Wolf-Eyes Cree.

The best for versatility is to buy the 3,7V-6V DIGITAL Cree 130 or 170 lumens.
Use it with 17670 Li-ion rechargeable cell or 2x primaries.
Regulated output and 3 levels + strobe.

If he doesnt mind using the low levels and the strobe, he can buy, always from Wolf-Eyes, standard 130 or 170 lumens dropin 3,7V-6V (no low levels and no strobe).

Wolf-Eyes dropins are very well made, and build like a tank.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P3D CE, this has replaced my Surefire G2 for my belt pouch EDC. and i replaced my crappy ultrafire 3w luxeon with a Fenix P2D CE ;)

paulr

Flashaholic
Go for a rechargeable to not burn all those batteries in a maintenance light. Fenix L2D CE is a reasonably good bet, AA NiMH cells being ubiquitous.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Inova T4

A little bit longer than the G2. Switch mounted behind the head, rather than on the tailcap...

But it solves the 2 main problems you brought up.
It's rechargeable. And, it's an LED with impressive output. I own one.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upgrade your G2 with a SSC LED and a McR-27S Reflector!

I upgraded mine to a Cree running off a 17670 Li-Ion. It has more output and runtime, 3 hours at about 115 lumens at the LED. 80-90 out the front? Use a GD500 driver and build a heatsink out of a copper disk.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Thats what I love about this site, so many great ideas. I was thinking about a Strion or a T4 but he loves the G2 size and operation. I know SF has a LED upgrade non CREE and will probably have a CREE version out sometime later but the Wolf Eyes sounds like it could be a great option. Any suggestions on where to look up the Wolf Eyes Drop in's?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 takes my vote if its a surefire. Put a P17670 rechargeable in it and you have a very bright, white wall of light.

fleegs

Enlightened
The L4 takes my vote if its a surefire. Put a P17670 rechargeable in it and you have a very bright, white wall of light.

This was going to be the suggestion I made. I would also look into getting the two level switch (and it will also tail stand then) from the Shoppe. I got the 30 ohm and it is just like the L2 low level for brightness. I need at least two levels. (We were in the car last night and while using the low level it was a little too bright to read the car manual. On high our eyes would have hurt.)

I am not sure if you are going for cost or getting something he would really enjoy. Myself, I would like a whole new light. But if cost was a concern then a drop in. An L4, plus two level switch, Rechargable batts and a charger would run you well over $200. Drop in are around $50 to $100?

Good luck.

rob

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats what I love about this site, so many great ideas. I was thinking about a Strion or a T4 but he loves the G2 size and operation. I know SF has a LED upgrade non CREE and will probably have a CREE version out sometime later but the Wolf Eyes sounds like it could be a great option. Any suggestions on where to look up the Wolf Eyes Drop in's?

HERE

Make sure you check the box to include the Spring for SUREFIRE flashlight applications for the G2.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know if the Wolf-Eyes digital cree D26 drop-in is available for purchase yet? If so, where can I buy it? PTS doesn't have it listed on the website.

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw something else into the mix...

My EDC used to be a SF 6P (original round-bodied model), but I got tired of replacing lamps every time I sneezed with the light on. I replaced it with a SL Strion, which served me for a few years.

I recently retired the Strion with a Lumapower D-Mini with the OP (textured) reflector. I'm very satisfied; it's easily the best EDC light I've yet had.

-=[ Grant ]=-

DM51

Flashaholic
Anybody know if the Wolf-Eyes digital cree D26 drop-in is available for purchase yet? If so, where can I buy it? PTS doesn't have it listed on the website.
I think I saw a release date for July, but I can't recall which thread that was in. There are quite a few threads now about WE Cree drop-ins, and they are getting quite confused.