Arcmania modded SF KL2 - McR38/SSC/Multifunction

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Surefire host chromed in Modamag's first coatings run, and sent the head to Mike for unspecified modding.

I just received it back, and it's awesome! It has Mike's multifunction converter, a modded McR38, and a Seoul P4.

Needless to say the beam is bright and beautiful. An immeasureable improvement.

Here are some pics Mike took as he built the head with the help of master machinist Kato:

And here are pics of the finished light:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks positively Vicious!! :naughty: :devil:

Nicely done! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
WOW !!
Now this is some elusive beauty there !!!
Outstanding light !!!

What does the converter do?

bernie

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cryhavoc, the McR38 was used to fill the head diameter, the 27 would have left gaps around the reflector. In order to fit the depth of the reflector, the inner bulkhead was machined away, and the reflector passes through it to meet the LED which you can see is about as low as possible in the head.

Bernie, the converter does many many things I don't need, but the basic menu is low-med-hi. After you run through those levels, you can access many fancy features such as strobe, hi-lo beacon, blink, heartbeat, wave, and some others which are cool to show off, but don't have much practical use for me. To advance the mode simply cycle the power off-on.

Pictured is a chromed SW01, which IMO looks best, but I also chromed an SW02 which is easier to use with the multifunction. Surprisingly the fat SW01 allows you to cycle through the menu and latch with a one-handed twist after a bit of practice.

What I like about this particular converter is that it always reverts back to the beginning after it is turned off for a couple seconds. Also, you can advance the mode regardless of how long the light is left on - you don't need to start over. These are minor details, but it is the only multifunction converter that I can use and never get lost. I always know where I'm at, where I will go, and where the light will be when I turn it on.

It is the same converter in Arcmania's Digital Tower Module, the last incarnation of the SF turbo head modules which use the Seoul. I believe Mike is soon releasing the Maxlite Extreme 2 which will use the multifunction converter as well to power a Seoul, and be driven off a single AA cell with a 20 mm head instead of the 27 mm used to date. Though I'm not a big fan of multifunction converters, this is the one that I like.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is the same converter in Arcmania's Digital Tower Module, the last incarnation of the SF turbo head modules which use the Seoul. I believe Mike is soon releasing the Maxlite Extreme 2 which will use the multifunction converter as well to power a Seoul, and be driven off a single AA cell with a 20 mm head instead of the 27 mm used to date. Though I'm not a big fan of multifunction converters, this is the one that I like.

Is your converter a buck or boost? For some reason I was under the impression all the ROF multifunction were boost converters but I just bought one and was told it is a buck???? Maxlight using a single AA has to be a boost. I have KI-S with an ROF that can only run Cr2 primary Lithium cells so its a boost. I have another still in the package I bought a while back and have been assuming it is a boost as well but now I am not sure what it is?????? There is paperwork with converter but I can`t read it. Oh well, at least I didn`t AA Epoxy it in an LE of a flashlight that takes the wrong battery configuration and voltage to use it. These ROF multifunction converters are not cheap. I compared mine to your picture in the first post and they are NOT a match. If you have some knowledge about the ROF converters can you help me out please! :grin2: I have a camera for some pics if that would help but I promise they will be out of out of focus & blurry with a color tint to make you go! :wtf::eeew:

Ken :D

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken, you're right, this is a buck converter.

If you can post a pic and the dia, maybe I can try and see if it matches anything I have.

I'll take a stab and guess as you did that yours is a boost.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dennis, I`ll take a stab at a pic to post, I guess?!?! :green: Noticed in your second picture your ROF appears to have 2006 on it????? Mine has 2005.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here is a dirty picture for you! :eek:oo: .......of the converter. :grin2: I must have taken it out of the package a while back and set it on the shelf to collect dirt. :rolleyes: Opened the paperwork and found some numbers and a couple of words in English. At the top: ROF-CV02 2005.10. and down further in small print: ROF-CV01D (D for Down converter maybe?) A little further:

2.0V~6.5V Blah Blah 3.0V~6.0V
Lo: 50~80ma / Mid: 160~180ma / Hi: 420~450ma

There are a few runtime charts and I can read the batteries used. From 2 x AA NiMH as low voltage and 2 x Cr123 for high voltage input. The charts are labeled with CV02. Can`t read anything else.

IMG_4582.jpg

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster:

CV-02 is a buck/boost converter, which is the one you have in the picture.

ARC mania

Thank you Mike! :thumbsup: With the voltages shown in the paperwork, I was wondering if it could be a buck/boost.

Now I need to pick out the right light for this sweet converter! :naughty:

Ken

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has got to be one of the nicest looking lights!!!!:thumbsup::drool:

I have a 911 Turbo to offer as a partial trade:poke:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tim,

Should I let it go, I'll let you know. I'm sure we could work out something if you can no longer bear the acceleration pushing the blood to the back of your head, or dumping a case of oil per change.