Great Forum!

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Dear Fellow Members-Using your forum,I decided to buy the 8W Superbright Luxeon LED 8 W light from BatteryJunction.com.I have used a minimag for YEARS and started using the Nightize LED upgrade about 3 years ago.I have had a light by my side since the USN (should be issued in bootcamp) and am using it ALOT interning in Commercial AC.Don't really like using CR123 batts.,but Batteryjunction has the Tenergy brand for $1.00 apiece.Plan on using the 8W at half power,but don't know what type of battery life I will get.Too bad they don't make this in a twisty model that takes AA,but I think it's a powerful flashlight for the price.Their holster is cheap at $3.95 and since it's in the USA I should receive in a week.Any feedback on this light,Batteryjunction, Luxeon Lumiled or the performance/specs of this light?Thanx for any info:)-Gearhead

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Look into Cree XR-E and Seoul P4 LED lights, twice the efficiency of Luxeons. Double the output(this seems to be the most common right now) or double the runtime with the same batteries.

You can also modify you "8watt" Luxeon with a Seoul P4 for double the output.

The Fenix L1D-CE and L2D-CE use 1 and 2 AA batteries. The have 6 modes and a simple to use User-Interface and have interchangeable bodies (they use the same head) and the P2D-CE(CR123) also uses the same head so you essentially have 3 choices of battery type.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Thanx guys!I really like the Cree and Fenix lights,but wanted my light a little sooner.Also,I really like the size of my minimag and so wanted a replacement that's close to size.Also just wanted simple user ergonomics ,and actually prefer a twisty over a clicky.That being said,where would I buy the Seoul P4 and how much is it?Already ordered the Luxeon 8W,so would appreciate any feedback anyone has on this light in terms of performance.Thanx again!:)-Gearhead

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i get em from fanatic

ive got twisty F1 you might be interested in

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Dear Gip-Your response is a bit cryptic.Is the twisty F1 a flashlight?Would I need to modify anything on my flashlight to add a Seoul P4?That link is pretty cryptic also.FWIW,I work hi tech,have an AAS in EET and just finished my AC certificate,but you guys are into these lights DEEP!;)You do have time for other activities,correct?;)-Gearhead

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
the link was for the led emitters if you want to replace and mod that luxeon 8w you have , my F1 i was also referring to was a single AA light i am selling, i figured since you like twisty you might be interested.. it is a seoul led single stage light just look at my sig " Lumapower F1 " check your pm

oh btw i have no college , i knew nothing about lights before i got here only a few months ago and now i feel like i have been through a crash course of history of incan ,led , battery mathematics ma, amps, mah etc & battery types alks lithium nimh etc , its like i just took some sort of hardcore vocation and got a degree i still dont understand ......people here are nuts but then again i think i turned into one ;)

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told you not to speak cryptic!!!! Now we have to go back to planet Mercury :mecry:since they found out our secret that we have no other activities :)
Dear Gip-Your response is a bit cryptic.Is the twisty F1 a flashlight?Would I need to modify anything on my flashlight to add a Seoul P4?That link is pretty cryptic also.FWIW,I work hi tech,have an AAS in EET and just finished my AC certificate,but you guys are into these lights DEEP!;)You do have time for other activities,correct?;)-Gearhead

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
You guys are a hoot!It really is amazing how far flashlight technology has come in such a short time!When I was in the USN in the early '90's,the minimag was considered a cut above the average flashlight.The nightize maglight I'm using now is okay,but it's time to upgrade.You guys do NOT want to know where all I've used the minimag,but needless to say the girlfriends always got a laff out of my flashlight.Like most commercial AC repairmen,I also carry my cell phone,pager,Gerber multitool,and a few other tools;)-Gearhead.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
gearhead,
You will find that the 8w will be bright enough for what you are using it for. For most of us we are deep into the flashlight world where we what it brighter, longer runtime, smaller, perfect beam. You should look into rechargeable batteries, but the 8w does not recommend it which sucks. I would ask Battery Junction if there is an alternative.
Welcome aboard, and don't blame us when you start spending all of your time and money here...LOL!!!!!

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Dear Gip-Thanx for the response.That 5EX is a nice upgrade for the price.Still,you can never have too many flashlights,eh?;)Appreciate the feedback on the 8W Flashkat:)-Gearhead

Last edited:

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Still wondering what kind of battery life verses performance I will get compared to a Minimag with the 5EX option.I really prefer AA over CR123 and prefer a twisty over a clicky.I have e-mailed batteryjunction and hope that they can give me more specs on the 8 W light,as I don't want to be replacing CR123 batts all of the time!They are cheap at batteryjunction but (as you all know) $ as hell anywhere local!Why go with a CR123?More voltage which gives more power with the Luxeon technology?Am also wondering how long the clicky button will last.Decisions,decisions!;)-Gearhead

gearhead

Newly Enlightened
Thanx Mattk!

Thanx to Mattk at Batteryjunction and you guys,I purchased the Terralux 5EX insert with the Nightize Power Holster and headband.This way,I have an upgraded minimag that I am accustomed to!Thanx again:)-Gearhead